Mother Knows Best

Me And My Gay Boss

 And so, Danson found himself sitting in his office, with his mother probing on him. 

 
“So, are you taking her seriously now, Danson?” Louise asked her son. “Mom, I don't think that whatever business I have with Ella has something to do with you.” Danson said in an annoyed tone. His mom just smirked at him. “It is my business, son. How old are you anyway? 28 turning 29? Do you think it's about time the you produce me an heir?”
“I am not ready to settle down!”
“Then, when are you ready? When you could no longer produce an heir?”
 
Danson just let out a sigh. He is getting annoyed with his mom badgering him about getting married. Well, if she only knew that her son does not like women that much. “What is wrong, Danson? When I arranged a marriage for you and Megan a few years back, you refused. I see you dating other girls, but I never get to meet them. And  now, you got yourself involved with one of my best photographers here in Papers and Pen... and...” Louise sighed, and shook her head. “You're not taking Ella seriously, aren't you?” she said. “Ella is just a friend.” Danson insisted. “I could swear you were as giddy as a school boy when you mentioned Ella's name... when you were convincing me that you should handle Glam. I want to think that you have a crush on her...” Louise said. Danson could only give his mom dagger looks. “Mom, how many times do I have to tell you that I am just interested in her work?” he said. Louise raised an eyebrow at him. “Don't give me that look, mom. This conversation is over.” he said. “Oh, just her work? Then, why is it that when I read the newspapers, I always see news of you and Ella Chen? Like that one time at the parking lot, and that one time at a wedding?” she said. “It was nothing, mom... all right? Ella and I are just friends. End of conversation.” he said. 
 
Danson stood up from his seat, and headed to the door. But as he reached for the knob, he heared his mom speak again. “Too bad... I told myself that the next girl that will get involved with you, I'll accept her wholeheartedly. Well, I guess you leave me with no other choice, Danson...” she said. Danson looked at his mom again. “Choice? What choice?” he asked. Louise folded her arms, and smirked at her son. “You have to be married within three months... or you will lose your chance at running this company, young man.” she said. Danson's eyes widened with surprise at what his mother said. “What?!”
 
--
 
“What do you think they are talking about?” Angela asked as she approached Ella's desk. “Do you think his mom doesn't approve about you two dating?” Hebe asked. Ella gave her friends a confused look. “Dating? Us?” she asked. Angela and Hebe nodded their heads. “You two are dating, right?” Angela said. Ella simply shrugged her shoulder, and continued on editing the pictures on her Mac Book. “I think she's scary, though! I can imagine... maybe Louise Tang will call on Ella, give her money, and ask her to leave his son alone! And because Ella loves Danson so much, she will refuse and stay by his side.” Hebe said. She clasped her hands, and sighed dreamily. “Oh, what a romantic scene...” she added. “Wei, you're watching too much idol dramas, Hebe. I don't think that would happen, all right? And besides...” 
 
Ella let out a sigh. Then, she looked at the monitor sadly. “I am not Danson's girlfriend...” she muttered under her breath. “What did you just said?” Angela asked. Ella looked up at her. “I said... I don't think it's anyone's business if I'm Danson's girlfriend.” she said to them. Angela and Hebe gave each other a confused look. “Whatever. Just be careful of Louise Tang. Who knows, she might be as y as Dao Ming Si's mother in Meteor Garden... or Liang's father in Tokyo Juliet... or...” Hebe paused, and looked at Angela and Ella, who were giving her dagger looks. “Seriously, Hebe. Stop watching too much dramas.” Angela said.
 
--
 
“She what?!”
 
Jiro and Ella exclaimed at Danson. Danson let out a sigh, and shook his head. It was 8 in the evening, and the three are having dinner at Danson's pad. “Should I repeat myself?” Danson asked. He had enough headache for the day, just because of his mom. “OK, babe... let me get this straight. You have to marry someone, or you will not inherit Papers and Pen?” Jiro asked. Danson nodded his head. “Why would your mom do that to you?! You're her only son!” Ella said. Danson folded his arms. He leaned back on his seat, and sighed. “I don't know why she was asking me that. Actually, it was more of because she thinks I'm getting older, and I'm still playing around... that's why.” Danson said. “So this is all because of your playboy image before?” Ella asked. Danson nodded his head. “And since the last girl being linked to me is none other than Ella, she thinks that I am still playing around. So... she said that I should get married or else...” Danson said. 
 
Jiro looked at Ella, and then let out a smile. “So, you think Aunt Louise wants you to marry Ella?” he asked. Danson shrugged his shoulder. Then, he let out a smirk as she continued on staring at Ella, which is already giving her the creeps. “What?” Ella asked. Jiro turned to Danson. “I think it's a good idea if Ella will be the one whom you'll marry.” Jiro said. The two gave him a confused look. “What? But... why me?” Ella asked. Jiro smiled at her again. “Look, you know our little secret, right? You're the safest candidate... the one I will not get jealous of. And besides, you don't have a crush on my baby, right?” Jiro said. Ella gulped as she looked at Jiro. “I don't have a crush on your baby.” she confirmed. “Which makes you a more suitable candidate as Danson's wife.” Jiro said. Ella let out a sigh. “Why can't the two of you just admit that you are gay?” Ella asked. The two men looked at her with eyes wide open. “No!” they said in unison. “Come on... it's just Danson's mom...” she said. “I don't want to disappoint my mom...” Danson said. “And what are the chances that if his mom found out, my family will find out as well.” Jiro said. 
 
Ella let out a sigh as she leaned on the table. “So... I'll pretend again?” she asked. Jiro nodded his head. “I don't think it's a good idea anyway, babe...” Danson said. With that, Ella let out a sighof relief. “I guess I can still talk to mom... about that. Just wait and see, all right?” he added. “And if your mom doesn't agree?” Jiro asked. Danson looked at Ella, and smiled. “Ella will marry me.” he said. Ella just shook her head as she sighed.
 
--
 
The following week at the Glam office.
 
Ella entered the office, and noticed that weird look that her colleagues are giving her. “Good morning, Ms. Chen!” Sam said as soon as he saw her. “Ms. Chen? And since when did you become formal, Sam Wang?” she asked. Sam just answered him with a smile. “Ms. Chen, the layouts are in your table now.” Eric said. Ella threw him a confused look. “What the heck?” she said. “Ms. Chen, would you like some coffee, or tea?” Gui Gui said, popping out of nowhere. Ella gave her a puzzled look as well. “No... thanks...” she said hesitantly. 
 
As she reached her desk, Angela and Hebe came up to her. “Congratulations, Ella!”they shrieked in unison. Ella gave them a confused look. “What? Did I got promoted, or something?” she asked. Danson definitely didn't tell her anything about her being promoted, anyway. “It's much better than getting promoted, Ella!” Hebe said, holding her both hands. “I can't believe that you didn't tell us anything!” Angela said. Ella was puzzled about what her friends were telling her. “Tell you about what?” she asked. “That you and Danson are getting married soon!” the two said in unison. Ella's jaw dropped upon hearing what they said. “What?!”
 
--
 
Danson angrily threw the paper on his mom's table. He took a deep breath, trying to calm himself down. Louise looked at the paper, and saw the marriage announcement she have published for Ella and Danson. A smirk formed on her lips as she leaned back on her leather chair. “Well...” she said. “Mom! Who are you to interfere in my life? I am not getting married! Not yet!” he shouted angrily at her. Louise just laughed him off. She stood up from her seat, and circled around his son. “I think you should thank me, Danson. I am making things easier for you.” he said. “I am not getting married yet. I haven't even asked the girl yet!” he hissed. “And so? You will ask her in the future, right?”
“Why are you pressuring me?”
“You're not getting anymore younger, Danson. I'm just doing you a favor.”
“You're ruining my life.”
 
Louise found herself amused at her son's reaction. “Why would a mom ruin her child's life? I care about you, Danson. A lot. I know what's best for you, and I'm just doing this for you.” she said. “You don't even know what I want to do with my life!” he shouted. Louise paused, and faced her son. “What is it that you want to do with your life. Tell me now, dear.” she said. Danson stood in his place, looking at his mom's eyes. At that moment, he wanted to tell him what he really is, and what it is that he really wants. But he couldn't do it, for he was thinking of Jiro's sake. “I want... I want to ask Ella's hand in marriage without you interfering with us.” he lied. Louise just smirked as she folded her hands. “So, she is for real this time, huh? Are you really sure of what you feel for her? Or... you're just using her to hide your dirty little secret?” she said. He could only look at her with surprise in his face.
 
--
 
“I have no idea that this would all get out of hand. I'm really sorry, Jiro...” Ella whispered on the phone. “I'm OK, really. You don't have to worry about me. And besides, I told you before that I will be at ease if you were the one whom Danson will marry right? I just never thought it would be this soon...” he said on the phone. “I have no idea how this happened. Let me clarify things with him first. He might be doing a move without telling us.” she said. “All right, I trust you with that. Let me know what you found out.” Jiro said. 
 
Ella ended the call. As she turned to her computer, Louise Tang went inside the Glam office. She looked around for a bit, and then, she spotted Ella on her desk. She let out a smile as she walked towards her. “Ms. Chen, just the person I'm looking for!” she said. Ella jumped up of her seat as she saw Louise coming her way. “M-madam Tang...” she said. “Are you busy? Can I invite you for a cup of coffee now?” she asked. She bit her lips. As she lowered her head, she noticed the message from Hebe on her screen. “Don't let her intimidate you! Jia You!” Hebe said on the messenger. Ella looked up, and saw Louise waiting for her answer. “I... I'm free, I guess...” she said. She let out another smile her. “Well then, let's have coffee, shall we?” Louise said. Ella nodded her head. She followed Louise outside.
 
They found themselves at a posh coffee shop just below the building of Papers and Pen Publication. Ella sat across Louise, and was quite the whole time. As soon as their orders arrived, Louise began to talk to her. “So, I assume you have known my son for over 8 months?” Louise said. Ella nodded her head. “And you've been dating him for how long?” she asked again. Ella doesn't know how to answer that question. She doesn't know how she will lie to her boss. “Four months... I guess....” she lied. Louise nodded her head. “How much do you love my son?” she asked again. Ella was taken aback by that question. Sure, she knew she is crushing on Danson, but love? That's out of the question. Especially since she knows he is gay. “Do you love my son more than he loves you?” Louise probed again. Ella slowly nodded her head. “So, I guess we wouldn't have a problem when the two of you get married soon. I assume you read the announcement on the papers this morning.” she said. “I didn't, honestly. I... just found out from my colleagues that there was such an announcement. You see... Danson haven't told me about that plan...” she said. Louise leaned back on her chair, and clasped her hands. “How interesting...” she said. 
 
“Madam...” Ella began. “Honestly, I'm not sure what is going on... but getting married soon seems a little too fast for the two of us. I don't think Danson would want to be married soon. After all, he have some plans...” she said. “But I think he can do his plans even if he is married. He is not getting younger anymore. You too. And as for me, at my age, I think it's about time that I tend to the needs of my grandchildren, don't you agree?” she said. Ella just lowered her head in response. “You might be scared of the fact that my son is a playboy. He easily gets tired of each girls he dates. He changes girlfriends as fast as he could change his underwear. He never took them seriously. But you know what, Ella... I like you. I want you to be Danson's wife. And I hope that you will help me convince him to settle down.” Louise said. 
 
Louise took something inside her bag. She took a bottle of pills, and placed him on the table. Ella stared it for a while, and then gave Louise a puzzled look. “Sleeping pills. Put some on his drink, take off all his clothes, and let nature take its course.” she said. Ella's eyes widened at what she said. “You want me to drug your son... and... sleep with him?” she asked. “If that's the only way for the two of you to get married, then yes.” Louise confirmed. “Are you insane?!” Ella exclaimed. “No, dear. I'm desperate.” Louise said. Ella let out a sigh. “Why are you desperate?”
“Why are you hesitating?”
“Is this some kind of a test?”
“I'm not testing you. I'm doing you a favor.”
 
Elle let out another sigh. She bravely looked up at her. “I don't know why you want me to do this, but I refuse to do what you're asking me to do. I can't force Danson to do one thing that he doesn't want.” she said. Louise let out a smirk as she looked at her. “You're refusing... or maybe you're trying to cover for him, aren't you?” she asked. Ella gave her a confused look. “I bet by now you know his secret.” Louise said. “What secret?” Ella asked. “That he could never be with a girl.” Louise said. Ella was surprised at what she revealed. “Because my son is gay.”
 
--
 
Dear Danson, 
 
As much as I want to help you keep up this little charade of ours, I can't. Look, I love you as a friend, and as a boss. I care for you a lot. I know you don't want to be stuck in a loveless marriage just for the sake of putting up a front, right? I know, because I do. 
 
Just do this little favor to yourself – tell your mom the truth about you. Your mom is a very smart woman, I know that. And I know that her instincts have been telling her that something is wrong with his son, why you didn't want to settle down and all that crap. I can't cover for you forever, OK? So I suggest that you have a little one-on-one talk with Tang mama, and explain the situation. I'm sure she would understand it. 
 
Love lots, 
Your supposed to be fiancee
 
P.S.
OK, so I spilled the beans. What can I do? She cornered me!
 
Danson folded the paper, and looked outside the office window. Ella is right. She can't cover for him forever. There are things that he have to let her mom know, and one of them is his ual preference. He looked at Ella's letter once again, and took a deep breath. “It's about time I came out of the closet...” he thought. He took the letter, and marched outside his office, and onto his mom's office.
 
“Mom, we need to talk.” He said as he went inside. He locked the door behind him, as he approached her. Louise swiveled her chair to face him. “Yes?” she asked. “I have to tell you something.” he said. Louise leaned back on her chair, and let out a smirk. “What is it?” she asked. “I can't marry Ella. I just can't. And I can't marry any girl for that matter...” he began. He closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. As he opened his eyes, he stared onto his mother's eyes. “You know, since I was young, I... I was confused about things. I... I don't know what it is inside me that I'm feeling... it was scaring the hell of me. I was scared because people will judge me. I'm scared because I might disappoint you. But as days passes by, I... I have confirmed that I've become what I'm scared of. It... it was killing me inside, mom. I have to keep it a secret because... because I was too scared to hurt you, and disappoint you. I'm your only son, and I know you have high expectations from me. I did my best in everything, I really did. I did all the things you wanted without any hesitations, because I am so damned scared to let you down...”
 
He bit his lips as he felt the tear about to roll down from his eyes. He just couldn't help but breakdown in front of his mother. “Mom, I'm gay. I'm sorry... I... I'm sorry that I can't be the son you really wanted. I'm sorry that you gained two daughters instead of just one. I'm so sorry...” he finally said. Louise stood up from her chair, and walked up to him. Then, she smiled at him, and hugged him tight, much to his surprise. “I love you, son.” she said to him. Upon hearing that, Danson let out a smile. “I love you, no matter what you've become. You are my son, and I can accept you for whatever you are. There's nothing wrong with being, gay, Danson. It's much better than you ruining your own life for nothing.” she said. Then, she pulled away from him. She smiled at him, and caressed his cheek. “I knew from the start that you're gay, Danson... and it's breaking my heart to see you putting up that front by dating a lot of girls, when I know you could have come out of the closet and admit it to me...” she said. Danson gave her a puzzled look. “You knew? But you said you won't give me the company till I marry someone, Ella in particular?” he said. “I only did that to make you admit that you're gay. And besides, I was scared that you are toying with Ella's feelings. She is my favorite photographer, you know, and if she resigns because you broke her heart, I won't forgive you for that.” she said. He let out a faint chuckle at his mom. “Ella knew I'm gay.” he said. Louise nodded her head. “I know. I forced her to tell me the truth. And I'm glad you told me the truth.” she said. Danson smiled at him, and then hugged his mom again. “I love you, mom.” he said. “I love you too, son.” she answered.
 
--
 
“So, how does it feel like coming out of the closet?” Ella asked Danson as they were strolling at the park that afternoon. Danson put his hands on his pocket, took a deep breath, then smiled at her. “Feels great. At least I came out to my mom. I wouldn't have to hide anything from her. And I don't have to pretend to my mom that I'm something that I'm not.” he said. Ella nodded her head. “Good.” she said. “But you know, I can't come out fully because of Jiro. If people found out about us... especially his dad, he will surely kill him.” Danson said. Ella just laughed at him. “I know, right?” she answered. 
 
As they sat at the bench, Ella looked at Danosn, and noticed that there was some kind of sadness in his face as he sighed. “What's wrong?” she asked. Danson looked at him, and gave him a faint smile. “You know what... I talked to Jiro about telling my mom about me being gay. And he didn't quite take it to heart...” he said sadly. “So, you two had a fight?” Ella asked. Danson nodded his head. “He's mad at me.” he said. Ella put her arms around his neck, and smiled at him. “Don't worry, I know if we explain further to him, he will understand.” she said. Danson just sighed, and looked away from her. “I really hope so...” he said.