Good Friend

Me And My Gay Boss

 

 
Ella fell on her chair. 
 
Danson immediately stood up from his seat, and helped her up. “Are you OK?” he asked. Ella let out a sigh. “Are you kidding me?!” she shouted at him. “Me? Your girlfriend?!” she added. Danson gave her a pleading look. “Please... just say yes... I'll buy you coffee everyday...” he said. “Do I look like a coffee addict to you?” she snapped at him.  She put her hand on her waist, and let out another sigh. “And what about my non-existent love life?” she asked. Danson gave her a confused look. “What about it? It's non-existent at all.” he said. Ella could only glare at her boss. “That's the point. It's non-existent. So, what if suddenly, it exists?” she said. Then she looked at the bouquet on her hand. “Just look. Someone just sent me flowers. What if this is the Mr. Right I've been waiting for all my life?” she asked. Now, it's Danson's turn to sigh. “Come on, Ella... please?” he pleaded again. She just folded her arms. “Besides, we don't know who that secret admirer yet. I promise you, once we found out who that is, we stop pretending to be together.” he said. 
 
Ella looked at him for a long time. He was giving her puppy eyes, and she just could not refuse his offer. At least she's dating Taiwan's hottest bachelor, even if it's just a pretend one. “You promise to stop once we found who this secret admirer of mine is?” she asked. Danson smiled, and nodded his head. “I promise you, Jiro and I will even help you out to find out who he is.” he said. She let out a sigh, and nodded her head as an answer. With that, Danson's face lightened up. He literally jumped onto Ella, and hugged her tight. “Thanks, Ella... thank for being my girlfriend!” he said. After he said that, the door opened, and his secretary saw them in that position, as well as hearing the last thing he said. The two looked at her, and saw the shocked look on her face. “I... I'm sorry... I didn't mean to walk in on you like this...” she stuttered. “That's OK, Annie...” Danson said. His secretary closed the door again, and they could almost hear her crying. 
 
“I could swear Annie have a huge crush on you.” Ella told him. Danson shrugged his shoulder. “Imagine her disappointment if she founds out that you're gay.” she said. “Same disappointment you experienced when I told you that?” he asked, smirking at her. Ella folded her arms, and smirked back at him. “Please. I am not that disappointed. As if I have a crush on you.” she said. He let out a chuckle at what he said. “Oh my God...” Ella said as she shook her head. “What?” Danson asked in a confused tone. “I think every girl in Taipei will kill me if they found out that I'm Danson Tang's girlfriend!”
 
--
 
“I'm so glad you agreed to what we asked...” Jiro said as he placed a plate of steak in front of Ella. It was evening, and the three were having dinner at Danson's pad. “How could I refuse? Your boyfriend offered to buy coffee everyday.” Ella told her. Jiro wrinkled his brows as he looked at her. “You don't look like a coffee addict to me.” he said. Ella burst out laughing. “That's exactly the same thing that I told him, but he wouldn't listen.” she said. 
 
Just then, Danson came out of his room, and joined them at the table. “Don't listen to her, baby.” Danson said. He sat next to Jiro, and took his fork. “She only agreed if we help her to find out who her secret admirer is.” he said as he began to devour his dinner. Jiro was surprised at what Danson said, and when he turned to Ella, he have this wide grin on his face. “Secret admirer?” he asked. Ella nodded her head. “Someone sent me flowers at the office today.” she said. “Awww... that's so sweet. Which reminds me... it's been a long time since I gave flowers to my baby.” he said. Jiro looked at Danson, then he put his arms around him a kiss on the lips. “Aw, babe... you know that you don't have to give me flowers. I already know that you do love me.” Danson said sweetly.
 
Ella could only smile and shake her head at that scene. Somehow, she felt envious of the the two. “At least they got each other, unlike me...” she thought sadly. The two lovebirds looked at Ella, and smiled. “Looks like someone is jealous...” Jiro said, winking at her. Ella rolled her eyes at him. “Can you, for one second, remember that I am around, and stop being too sweet. It's making me envy.” she said. The two just laughed. “Don't worry, your prince charming will come soon, Ella. Just wait.” Danson said. Ella just sighed, and continued to eat her dinner. 
 
--
 
A tall man walked inside the Glam's front desk. He let out a smile as Gui Gui looked up at him. “Hi, I'm looking for Ella Chen?” he said. “And you are...” Gui Gui asked. “I'm Wallace Huo, an old friend of hers.” he said. Gui Gui smiled at him. “Mr. Huo, please seat for a while. I'll check if Ella is around.” she said. Wallace nodded his head, and then took a seat at the couch.
 
Meanwhile, Ella is busy editing some pictures, when Gui Gui called her on her phone. “Ella, you have a visitor.” Gui Gui told her. Ella wrinkled her brows at what she said. “Visitor? Who?” she asked. “Someone named Wallace Huo...” Gui Gui said. Upon hearing his name, Ella's face lightened up. “Really? OK, I'll be right there.” she said. She put the phone down, and then rushed outside the office. As she opened the door, she saw Wallace sitting and waiting for her. She felt her heart beating fast as she caught a glimpse of his face. 
 
It's been a long time since she last saw Wallace. The two were college friends, with him being her senior at the school's newspaper. She remembered having a huge crush on her senior during university days, and he was the only reason why she decided to join the newspaper as a photographer. When he graduated, he migrated to Singapore to work, and she never had a chance to actually tell him how she feels. As she opened the door, a smile was plastered on her face. “Xue Zhang?” she called. Wallace looked at her, and smiled. “Ella!” he said. He stood up, and Ella ran to him, giving him a hug. “Oh my God! It's been a long time since I last saw you!” she said. “I know. But you're as pretty just like before.” he said. Ella could only blush at what he said. “So... you're back for good?” she managed to say. Wallace nodded his head. “For good. Got a good business opportunity somewhere in Kaoshiung... but I'll be working from time to time here in Taipei. And since you told me you're working here, and I was around the place, I decided to pay you a visit.” Wallace said. 
 
Ella could only smile happily at him. She never thought that after a long time, Wallace would remember her. “I'm... well... happy...” she said. “Me too. I'm so happy to see you again, Ella.” he said. Ella bit her lips as she looked away from him. “Anyway, I just dropped by to say hi. And to ask if you're free tonight?” Wallace said. Ella immediately nodded her head. “Of course. I'm free tonight.” she said. “Good. Then can I invite you for dinner?” he asked. Ella nodded her head. “So, should I pick you up here after work? Around 6?” he asked. Ella nodded her head again. “6 is fine with me.” she said. Wallace let out a boyish smile at her. “Great. I'll pick you up around that time, all right?” he said. “OK. Can't wait...” she said. “Me too. We've got a lot of catching up to do.” he said. He said goodbye to her, and as he leaves, Ella just watched him with a smile on her face. “Oh my... I guess this is the start of something new for us...” she thought giddily. As she giggled, Gui Gui gave her a wondering look. Ella stopped giggling, and composed herself before going back inside. 
 
--
 
“Ella... Jiro wants us to go to the bar tonight.” Danson said as he walked towards her desk. He stopped when he noticed that Ella was putting on make up on her face. “What's with the make up? You never wear make up, especially if you're about to go home...” he said. Ella looked at him, and smiled. “I have a date.” she told him. Danson gave her a confused look. “Date?” he asked. Ella nodded her head. “Date with whom? Are you cheating on me?” he asked. “It's not cheating unless you tell everyone that I am your girlfriend. And besides, yo have Jiro... so let me go out on a date, and make my non-existent love life, existing. All right?” she said. As she was about to leave, Danson grabbed her hand. “Wait, wait... who is this guy? Are you so sure that he is the one?” he asked. Ella let out a smile at him. “I knew he is the one when I first met him. And that was like... 8 or 7 years ago.” she said. He folded his arms, as he gave her a stern look. “Who is this guy?” he asked. She answered her with a smile. “You'll meet him someday, Danson. But for now, I'm off to my date.” she said. 
 
She turned her back, and left. Danson kept on calling her, but she just waved her hand as she hopped her way out of the office. “Ella Chen! Come back here! We have an agreement, remember?”  he shouted at her. But she did not hear him. As the door in front of him closes, Danson could only let out a sigh. “I have to know who her date is...” he said to himself. He took his mobile phone from his pocket, and dialed Jiro's number. “Hello, baby? Yeah, it's me. Let's ditch our plan to go to the bar tonight. We are going to stalk someone....”
 
--
 
Ella shyly looked up at Wallace, and secretly watched him as he tells the waiter their orders. It's been 5 years since they last saw each other, and he have not changed a bit. He's still the same senior that she have been crushing on since university days. He was still the same gentleman and sweet guy she met before. She lowered her head when Wallace looked her way. She could swear there was a smile of amusement on his face as he looked at her. “You're still the same shy Ella as before.” he commented. “And you're still the same charming Wallace that I've met before.” she commented. Wallace just laughed at her, and as he smiled at her, she could feel her cheeks turning red. She wanted to hide under the table, because she know that the redness on her face is giving way to her feelings for her. 
 
“By the way, did you receive the flowers I sent yesterday?” he asked. Ella's eyes widened upon hearing what she said. “Y-you sent those flowers?” she asked. He nodded his head. “I know you love flowers, so I sent them.” he said. Ella smiled at him, and nodded her head. “I did. Thanks for the flowers, Wallace.” she said. He just smiled and nodded his head. “So, how's work? Still enjoying it?” Wallace asked. Ella nodded her head. “I've never enjoyed it more than anything in this world.” she answered. Wallace nodded his head. “I know. Photography has always been your passion, right?” he asked. Ella nodded her head again. “How about you, why did you suddenly gave up your post as news manager in Singapore, and went back home?” she asked. “Well, I needed to fix things. You know that my family have a business in Kaoshiung, right?” he said. Ella nodded her head. “My father has been sickly lately, so I had to go back to take over, and at the same time to look after my dad.” he explained. “I see, that's great then...” she said. Wallace nodded his head. He leaned over the table. He looked at her in her eyes, and then smiled sweetly at her. “At least I get to see more of you, right?” he said. Ella slowly nodded her head. Good thing that the waiter came back with their order. The more that Wallace is looking at her, the more that she feels that she is melting. 
 
Meanwhile, at the other side of the restaurant, Jiro and Danson were sitting and hiding behind the menu as they were eying on Ella and her date. “Why are we doing this again, baby?” Jiro asked. “Because I want to know who Ella's date is.” Danson said, never taking his eyes off Wallace. “Why do you want to know who her date is?” Jiro asked in a confused tone. “Because if the two of them got together, she'll forget our agreement.” he answered. Jiro let out a chuckle, and shook his head. “Why are you being paranoid, baby? It's just a date. As if they will get married tomorrow.” he said. Danson glared at her boyfriend, and he stopped laughing. Then, he turned his eyes at Ella, who was already laughing at something that Wallace said. “Look at her, babe. Just look at her! She's so giddy. Geez, it's like she have a huge crush on this guy...” he said. Jiro raised an eyebrow at him after hearing what he said. “Are you jealous, baby?” he asked. Danson put the menu down, and glared at him. “Certainly not! Why would I be jealous?! I have no right to be jealous, she's not even my girlfriend yet!” he said. “Then stop acting like a jealous boyfriend, all right. Let Ella be. Now, can order, and stop staling on our friend?” Jiro said. Danson nodded her head. “Go ahead and order. I'm going to say hi to her and her little friend.” Danson said. He stood up from his seat. He fixed his tie first, before disturbing Ella and her date. Jiro could only sigh as he watched his lover walk towards Ella's table.
 
“Yes, I still remember that time. The look on your face was priceless! Good thing I took pictures of you that time.” Ella said in between laughs. Wallace laughed with her, and lowered his head in embarrassment. “Oh my... one day I'd like to see that picture.” he said. “Sure... why don't you stop by our apartment sometimes?” Ella said. Wallace looked up at her, and nodded her head. “Good idea. You're still living with Ariel?” Wallace asked. Ella nodded her head. “And George and Mikey. Ariel and Mikey are kinda living in together now.” she said. Wallace just nodded her head. “Why don't I stop by tonight?” he asked. Ella let out a smile. “Sure. I know Ariel, Mike and George would be happy to see that senior Wallace Huo is back.” she said. 
 
“Hey, Ella...”
 
Ella froze in her seat upon hearing that familiar voice. She slowly turned around, and saw Danson behind her. “Danson?” she asked. “Fancy meeting you here...” he said. He leaned down to her, and gave her a kiss on the cheek. As he put his arm around her neck, he glared at Wallace. “So, who's the date?” he asked. She let out an annoyed sigh. “Don't you have a date or something?” she asked. “Why? Can't I greet you now?” he asked. She let out another sigh. “Danson...” she started. Then, she pointed at Wallace. “This is Wallace Huo, my senior. Wallace, this is Danson Tang. My boss.” she said. Wallace smiled at Danson, and extended his hand to him. “Nice meeting you, Danson.” he said. Danson smiled at him, and took his hand. “Nice meeting you too, Wallace. I wonder why Ella haven't mentioned you to me?” he said as he smirked at him. Wallace could only give him a confused look. “Ah... xue zhang... can you excuse me and my boss for a while?” she said. He nodded her head. “Sure. Take your time.” he said. Annoyed, she grabbed Danson's wrist, and pulled him at the lobby of the restaurant to talk.
 
“What was that all about?!” she hissed at him. “What? I'm just saying hi.” he answered nonchalantly. “Well, you just said hi. And did you really have to kiss me on the cheek?” 
“What's wrong if I do?”
“You don't do that!”
“Well, I'm doing it now.”
“Did it ever occur to you that Wallace might think that you are more to me than a boss?”
Danson folded his arms. “So?” he asked. “So?! So?! Danson! Do you have an idea how long I've waited for him to come back into my life? I am in love with the guy!” she said, trying her best not to raise her voice. “Well, it's so obvious. With the way you giggle and with the way you blush. God, he's so dense not to notice how you feels towards him...” he said. Ella let out a sigh, and shook her head. “Danson, can you please get out of my way for a while? I've waited my whole life for a time alone with him... so please... can you do this favor for me?” she said wearily. Danson fell silent, and stared at her for a long time. “Please, Danson? Can you do it for me?” she asked. “Does he also feel the same way for you?” he finally asked. Ella shrugged her shoulders. “All I know is that he's happy to be back home. He wants to see more of me. And he... he sent me those flowers...” she said. 
 
Danson just looked at her. “But it doesn't mean that he also have the same feelings as you, Ella. I can't watch you risk your heart for him.” He put his hands on her shoulder, and gazed into her eyes. “Look, I'm not doing this because we have an agreement. You are not just my employee, you're also my friend. If he can't love you the way that you do, then God forgive, I might do something to that guy if he breaks your heart. I care for you, Ella... I really do. And from what I'm seeing with him... the feeling is not mutual, Ella. I see that he is only seeing you as a friend, nonetheless.” he said. Ella was silent as he speaks. She just looked at him as she listened to every word he says. “I wouldn't know if he feels the same way for me or not if I won't take the risk, right?” she asked. “I know that. But as your friend, it's my duty to protect you from something or someone that will hurt you. Even from that somehow harmless guy...” he said. 
 
Ella let out another sigh. “And if I kissed you a while ago, it's my way of testing him if he also feels the same for you. But I have some bad news, Ella... I don't see a hint of jealousy in his face when I kissed you. And you know what that means...” he continued. Ella put his hands away from her. “It's all up to me, Danson. If I get my heart broken, it will all be my fault... because I've kept all my hopes high. Just let me do this, all right?” she said. Danson sighed, and then nodded her head. “All right. Go ahead... be with him. I won't stop you. Forget about the agreement and be with him. But if he breaks your heart... you know where to reach me.” he said. Ella smiled, and nodded her head. “Thanks, Danson...” she said. Then, Danson turned her around, and pushed her inside the restaurant. “Go back to him, he must be waiting.” he said. He pushed her hard, and just watched as Ella went back to Wallace with a smile on her face.
 
“So... what happened? Seems like Ella is in love with the guy, huh?” Danson heard Jiro said. Danson looked at him, and nodded her head. “I told her the agreement is off for now.” she said. Jiro folded his arms, and watched Ella and Wallace together. “But knowing Ella, I know she will still help us in evey way she could. We're so lucky to have a friend like her.” Jiro said. Danson nodded his head in agreement. “Yeah...” he said. He eyed at Wallace, and let out a faint smile. “We are so lucky...”
 
--
 
A few days later...
 
Ella sat at the cafe, and after a few minutes of waiting, Jiro finally came. “Ella!” he called. Ella smiled at him. She stood up from her seat, and then gave him a bear hug. “I miss you, girl!” Jiro said. “I miss you too.” she said. “It's because you've been spending way too much time with that boyfriend of yours.” Jiro said as he took his seat. “Wallace is not yet my boyfriend, all right?” she said. Jiro just laughed at her. “Then, why does Danson always complain to me that you're always talking about Wallace nonstop. I could swear you're giving your boss a headache.” Jiro said. Ella just laughed at him. “Well, he could always put on earplugs when I start talking about Wallace.” she said. Jiro looked at her, and smiled. “I'm glad to see you this happy, Ella...” he said. Ella just laughed at him.
 
“By the way, can I ask you a big favor, Ella?” Jiro asked. Ella nodded her head. “I'll be in Netherlands for a couple of weeks. Can you do me a favor, and keep an eyes on him? Make sure to keep him away from those flirty girls, all right?” he said. “Don't worry about. I'll keep him away from the girls by telling them I'm his girlfriend.” she said. “And what if Wallace founds out that you are telling those girls that you are Danson's girlfriend? He might get jealous...” Jiro said. “I'll explain to him that my boss wants to get rid of those girls. I know he'll understand that.” she said. 
 
After an hour of talking, the two left the coffee shop. On their way out, they saw Wallace walking out of the jewelry store right in front of the shop. “Hey, isn't that Wallace?” Jiro said. Ella looked up, and saw him walking to his car. “Yeah...” she said. “I'm wondering what he's doing in that jewelry shop...” Jiro said. Ella shrugged her shoulder. “Well, whatever it is, nice choice. Did you know that they make the best engagement rings in town?” he said. With that, Ella looked up at him with a giddy look on her face. “Engagement ring?” she asked. Jiro nodded his head.
 
--
 
“So, you think he will propose to me tonight?” Ella asked as she rested her head on her palm. Danson, who was busy signing some documents, stopped, and looked at her. “You guys have been only dating for more than a week, and you're thinking that he's gonna ask you to marry him. Are you insane?” he asked in an annoyed tone. “But Jiro told me that that shop makes the best engagement rings. Maybe he bought a ring for me!” she said. Danson turned his eyes on  the documents on his hand. “What did I tell you before. Don't keep your hopes all high. If you do, you will just get hurt. Don't expect too much from him.” Danson said. Ella smiled at him. “I just know he will propose to me tonight. Oh my God, I can't wait to see him tonight!” she said. 
 
Just then, her phone rang. “That's your lover boy.” Danson said in an annoyed tone. Ella ignored his remark, and answered the phone. “Hello?” she said. It was Wallace on the other line. “Oh, hi Ella. Don't forget, I'll pick you up tonight. I have something important to tell you.” Wallace said. Ella smiled to herself. “OK. I'll wait for you then.” she said. Then, she ended the call and turned to Danson. “Danson! He said he'll pick me up tonight! He said he's going to tell me something important!” she said excitedly. Danson just looked at her. “Why am I not surprised?” he said. Ella sighed, and folded her arms. “Can you be happy for me just this once? Maybe he will propose to me tonight. Be happy for me!” she said. “I can't. Sorry. But I can pretend that I'm happy for you.” he said. She pouted at him. “Kill joy! Just because Jiro will be gone for a long time, you're acting like that!” she said. Then, she stomped her way out of the office.
 
If only Ella knew that the reason why Danson is acting that way is because he have this feeling that tonight will be a sad night for Ella...
 
--
 
Ella and Wallace strolled at the park after they had dinner at their favorite restaurant. The whole time, Wallace have been quiet, and Ella was waiting for him to tell her something. “Why are you so quiet, Wallace?” she asked. He looked at her, and smiled. “Well, I've been thinking of how to say this to you...” he said. He stopped walking, and then turned to face her. She felt her face beating fast as he gazed into her eyes. 
 
“Ella, we've been friends for a long time, right?” he asked. She nodded her head. “You were always there during the most important occasions in my life...” he said. “I know that.” she said, smiling at him. Then, he took her hands, and smiled at her. “Ella, today is the happiest day of my life, and I want you to be a part of it...” he said. Somehow, she had a feeling that he will be telling him a different thing. It might have something to do with the business he is handling, and not about her. “Why? What happened? Did you just close that business deal of yours?” she asked. He smiled, and shook his head. “Something more, Ella... and I want you to be the first person to know.” he said. He took a deep breath before speaking again. “You still remember Penny Lin, right?” he asked. Ella nodded her head. “She was an ex of yours back in college... right?” she said. Wallace nodded his head. “I bumped into her to Singapore a few months before. We kept in contact ever since... and we both found out that we're still in love with each other. Ella... today, I asked her to marry me.” he said excitedly. 
 
Ella tried to maintain the smile on her face even though her heart is already breaking. “And she said yes. We're getting married in three month's time!” he said. And those words pulled a string to break her heart into a million pieces. She felt so numb, like someone put her over a container filled with eyes. She didn't noticed that Wallace was already hugging her. “I'm so happy Ella! I just want to share my happiness with you. Isn't this great?” he said. Ella just nodded her head. She felt a tear from her eye fall as she nodded her head. “Yes...” she said. “It's great. I... I'm so happy for you, xue zhang...”
 
--
 
She chose to walk home that night, excusing herself from Wallace and telling him that a friend is inviting her to a bar. If she could, she would drink herself to death. She was contemplating on doing that, but then she thought of Danson. “If he breaks your heart... you know where to reach me.” she remembered him telling her that. Despite that her mind was clouded and she couldn't think straight, her feet found its way to Danson's pad. 
 
Danson, who was busily watching some chick flicks, was interrupted by a loud knock on the door. “Coming!” he shouted. He ran up to the door, and when he opened it, he saw Ella standing. “Ella?” he called. He saw her bit her lips as she looked up at him. Her eyes where already flooded with tears, and he could tell thart she was trying her best to control those tears.“Danson...” she said sadly. Then, she hugged him tight, and began to cry. 
 
The only thing he could do is hug her back and console her.