Chapter 6 - Don't Leave Me

Things are not the same anymore

We moved to 2 new dorms with the other 10 super junior members.

 

I got “Eunhyuk” as my stage name.

 

We made our debut performance.

 

We released our 1stalbum.

 

Our album could be seen occupying the main charts of all music stores.

 

Our songs were broadcasted in all radio channels.

 

We were invited non-stop to shows and TV programs.

 

We had our fans who continuously supported us.

 

We continued to work hard…

 

That day I was invited to a variety show. The host was asking about our lives as super junior and how we were with each other. It came to a point when we started talking about Donghae.

 

“Eunhyuk-ssi, Donghae and you are always seen together. Privately are you 2 really good friends?” Isn’t that obvious? That goes without saying right?

 

“Er… no. We actually are only colleagues.” I tried my best not to laugh while I answered.

 

The host looked really surprised. “Really? What was your feeling when Donghae and you were asked to make debut as a couple?”

 

“We both reluctantly accepted that arrangement. And indeed we consider each other only as colleagues. He is really annoying…” I couldn’t suppress my chuckle anymore. Moments later everybody in the show was laughing.

 

After I finished recording I walked out of the studio. Once outside I felt somebody was looking at me. No. Somebody was staring at me. I looked around and met Donghae’s glare. That froze me immediately. The next minute I was shivering and sweating. And I had difficulty breathing with that awful feeling in my stomach.

 

“How on earth could you say that?” Donghae hissed with both his fists clenched; his heart piercing stare continued to hold me hostage. Moments later he started stepping backwards while glaring at me. He raised his hand to warn me not to follow him. Then he turned around and left.

 

I was frozen at the spot for no idea how long. The scene that Donghae turned away from me was just too horrible to bear. My heart was beating so fast like it was about to explode. Sweat rolled down my forehead. Both my hands were shaking while shivers continued to travel down my spine. Never before had I experienced anything like that. Fear… I was scared to death…

 

That evening I visited and found that Donghae didn’t go back to the dorm. I called him but he didn’t pick up. I couldn’t sleep that night. Staring into the ceiling I could only curse myself.

 

Lee Hyukjae what did you do? You IDIOT!!

 

Donghae was nowhere to be seen the next days. Ever since Donghae and I knew each other there was not a single day we didn’t make any contact. Even when he left Seoul temporarily to visit his family we knew what each other was doing. At the beginning I found him calling me too much but I answered all his calls. And never had Donghae not picked up my calls. But now he’s not picking up. What should I do!!

 

When the rest of us were on our way to the studio for another show I tapped Leeteuk’s shoulder. “Leeteuk do you know where Donghae is? Why is he not going to the studio with us?”

 

“You don’t know? Donghae told manager hyung that he needed a break to deal with some personal matters. I thought he’d have told you.” Leeteuk answered.

 

“Er… OK.” I thought my worries and anxieties were all written on my face.

 

Leeteuk looked at me for some time and asked. “Is everything OK between you two?”

 

I could only give him a weak smile…

 

From: Hyukkie

To: Fishy

Message: Donghae I am sorry. I am terribly sorry. Forgive me pls…

 

From: Hyukkie

To: Fishy

Message: Donghae where are you? Pls come back. Pls answer my calls. Pls!!

 

From: Hyukkie

To: Fishy

Message: Donghae I beg you. Pls do not do this to me. I was the biggest idiot. Pls don’t leave me…

 

From: Hyukkie

To: Fishy

Message: Could you at least let me know you are there? That you are safe? Pls?

 

From Hyukkie

To: Fishy

Message: Donghae what can I do to make it up to you? I’d do anything. Pls come back… Pls!!

 

……

 

Donghae…Donghae…Donghae…Donghae…Donghae…Donghae…Donghae…

 

I was really going crazy. After several sleepless nights I was constantly dizzy. Whatever I ate I threw up immediately. I was having a fever and my whole body was aching. At the end I was so weak that I could barely walk. My mind was going blank. My heart continued beating fast. My body continued shivering and sweating. It took all left in me just to continue breathing. All I could do was to stay in bed and clenched my cellphone tightly in my hand.

 

Other members, especially Leeteuk, were very concerned. They took turn to take care of me. I couldn’t remember the details. Sometimes I was told to drink, to eat, to take medication. There were times I was dragged out of bed… probably to the doctor. A couple of times I was carried back onto my bed after I suddenly out and collapsed onto the floor.

 

One week had passed… Donghae had disappeared without a word for a complete week…

 

I lost Donghae... life force is slowly being drained away from me…

 

I was checking my cellphone (actually there was nothing. No news from Donghae) when Leeteuk came in. He took a chair and sat beside my bed.

 

“OK Hyukkie. What happened?”

 

Blankly I looked at him. Slowly I shook my head and closed my eyes.

 

“You’re worrying too much. Donghae is a grown-up. He can take care of himself. It’s you who needs to take care of yourself.” Leeteuk rested the back of his hand on my forehead, which was very likely still burning.

 

Suddenly Sungmin stumbled into my room panting. “Hyukkie… I… I saw Donghae… in the park…”

 

Before he could finish I vanished in front of their eyes. Just the word “Donghae” was sufficient to give me strength. A moment ago I could hardly move. A moment later I was rushing out to the park.

 

It was pouring rain outside. I wasn’t aware of that and within seconds I was soaking wet. Ignoring that I ran through every corner of the park; searching for any trace of Donghae.

 

Finally I saw him; sitting on a bench burying his face in his hands. Just like me he was completely soaked.

 

“…Hae… Donghae…” I called and ran towards him. Slowly he stood up.

 

I stopped in front of him, catching my breath with my hands on my knees. Suddenly I was sent flying in the air and landed heavily onto the ground. The right side of my face was burning and I could taste blood in my mouth.

 

Do whatever you want… if that makes you feel better…

 

I struggled to sit up but at that moment I was too weak for that. The next minute I heard footsteps rush towards me. Donghae kneeled down beside me and lifted my shoulders with his arms.

 

“Hyukkie what happened? Why are you so weak? Why is your body burning?” He looked at me with widened eyes full of concern. Rain continued pouring onto us. Drops of water kept dripping from his hair onto my face.

 

“Donghae… I’m… sorry… Pls… forgive… me…” I whispered and pleaded with my eyes. Slowly my vision got blurry.

 

“No Hyukkie. I’m sorry. I was too mad. I didn’t know you’re so ill.” The rain drops on my face became hot… no they were… Donghae… don’t cry…

 

“Hyukkie hang in there. I’m taking you back.” He started to carry me onto his back. I grasped his hand and he stopped.

 

He looked at me and I said. “Pls… forgive… me…”

 

“You idiot! How would I not forgive you? Even when I was mad I knew I would forgive you. I promised I will always love you and I will never leave you! You idiot!!”

 

I’m a fool when it comes to you… you’re just too important to me…

 

I smiled and was finally relieved. Only then I realized how exhausted I was. The last bit of strength was drained away from my body. I collapsed in his arms and fainted.

 

“How would I not forgive you? You idiot!!”

 

I was the idiot who thought the storm was over…

 

---------------------------------------

A/N: Why did Donghae suddenly disappear? The next chapter will tell... ^^