Auditioning

Falling In Love With My On-Screen Brother

2.

                “Number 13, Miss Im Izzy, please step forward.”

                It was her turn. Izzy got out of the line of hopeful participants and took a step towards the casting directors sitting at a table at the front of the room. Although she had told herself she didn’t really care about the audition, her heart still beat wildly in her chest.

                A familiar face to the side of the judges comforted her a bit. The executive woman who had encouraged her to audition was there, smiling kindly at Izzy. The lady mouthed, “Be yourself!” and made a ‘fighting’ sign in encouragement.

                Gaining a little confidence, izzy put a big smile on her face and said, “Hello, I’m Im Izzy, 23 years old.” Her voice was strong and clear.

                “Miss Izzy, we’d like you to answer a few questions for us,” one of the directors said. Izzy nodded respectfully, smile still plastered on. “What is your opinion on large families?”

                Izzy’s smile disappeared as she thought deeply about the strange question. Taking a deep breath, she carefully answered, “I haven’t had any experience with large families, but I imagine that they can be quite frustrating, with so many different opinions and personalities clashing under one roof. Yet I think having a large family is nice, because in the end, everyone cares for each other very much, and will encourage each member.” The sincere side of Izzy wanted her to end her statement there, but the silly side had to blurt one more thing out. “I wish I had lived with that much support, but unluckily,” she let out a dramatic sigh, “I was an only child.”

                The reactions to the answer boosted her confidence. The casting directors slightly nodded, and whispered things into each other’s ears. Some of the other people auditioning giggled at her obviously faked sigh. The executive lady gave Izzy an excited thumbs up. When the giggles subsided, the same director asked her another question. “Miss Izzy, are you familiar with the pop idol group Super Junior?”

                Loosening up after successfully answering the first question, Izzy let her personality shine through a little more. “No, I don’t. I’ve been living alone in a cave in the wilderness ever since I was 10.” The asker of the question looked stunned as the other 2 judges hid their smiles behind their hands. “Of course I’ve heard of Super Junior. They are a very talented group.” Izzy beamed.

                A few notes were made, and then the director asked Izzy one last question. “Now, finally, will you perform a small piece of ‘Sorry, Sorry’ for us?”

                “Excuse me?” Izzy wasn’t sure she had heard that correctly.

                “Please dance to ‘Sorry, Sorry’,” the director repeated. Izzy heard more giggles from the line of participants behind her, but this time they embarrassed more than they encouraged.

                Izzy curled her fists in nervousness. She had never sang nor danced in front of anyone before, ever. “Go ahead,” the director said.

                Izzy took another deep breath, then shakily sang. “Sorry sorry sorry sorry Naega naega naega meonjeo Nege nege nege ppajyeo ppajyeo ppajyeo beoryeo baby.” She had done this exact routine thousands of times before, in her apartment when she was alone. Of course she could do it perfectly. This did not stop Izzy from feeling nervous as she danced, her face heating up from the mortification.

                When she was finished, she stood still and stared at the directors. They were smiling at her, so she abashedly smiled back and waited for their verdict. “Thank you, Miss Izzy. You may step back in line.”

                Izzy complied, and watched as the participants behind her answered their questions. She noticed that no one else was asked to dance, and began getting more and more nervous. At the end of the session, all girls were dismissed and were told they would be notified of their status later. Izzy took the bus home, and didn’t realize she had been humming ‘Sorry, Sorry’ until the old man in the seat next to her complimented her pitch.

                “Thanks, I had a lot of practice today,” she replied, giggling at the whole ridiculous experience.

 

                “You passed, didn’t you? You’re going to be on television now!” Jiyoo stared at the young woman walking into the library.

                “Wow, Jiyoo, I never knew you read my email!”

                If Jiyoo hadn’t known Izzy so well, she would have thought the young librarian was being serious.            “Oh, shut up. It’s written all over your face; You’re smiling so wide your face is about to split.” Her comment just made Izzy grin even more, if that was possible. “So how was it? What did you have to do?”

                “Well, they asked me about big families, and Super Junior.”

                Jiyoo sat and thought for a moment. Then her eyes widened and she gasped. “Omo! I bet you’re going to be on a show with Super Junior!”

                “Oh really now? I didn’t even think of that when they asked me to dance to ‘Sorry, Sorry’.”

                Jiyoo waved off Izzy’s pending complaint to discuss other, more important matters. “Even though you’re acting like it’s no big deal, I know that you’re super excited on the inside. I saw you gawking at that magazine spread that featured Donghae. You can have him, and any of the other guys, but Sungmin’s mine.”

                Izzy chuckled. “Calm down there, girl. I don’t even know for sure what I’m doing yet. I’m taking the day off tomorrow to go film the first episode. Do you think you can handle things here by yourself? You know how crazy things can get, here in the loud and exciting library.”

                “I think I’ll be able to manage the astounding number of 6 borrowers that’ll probably come tomorrow. Just remember to get all the guys’ autographs for me.”

                Izzy just winked at her friend.