The Outing

Falling In Love With My On-Screen Brother

A/N: Heads up: Gimbap (or kimbap) is a Korean food that looks kind of like sushi, but isn't really. It's fillings are different (no raw fish required) and the seasonings are a bit different too. I'm just using information from wikipedia, though, so feel free to correct me if you know otherwise.

This chapter is long (for what I normally write). 1,972 words! For FIL, I'm now trying to make it an 'episode' a chapter, so that everything flows a bit better and faster. Expect all following chapters to be this length, okay? ^.^ (That also means you may need to wait a little while longer, and I may not have to exceed 10 chapters. Sorry!) Next update will have to be either next week, or the week after, or the week after that. I'm quite busy with all these other fics, requests, and contest entries I need to think about and type up. (I'm going to develop carpal tunnel, or arthritis, I can tell.) I'm glad to have all your support though! <3

 


 

6.

                “We’re going on an outing today!” Kangin announced excitedly as he pranced around the house, lifting the spirits of all the members and Izzy. He waved a piece of light blue paper in the air, showing everyone the note he had received from the PD.

                Shindong took the paper and read it aloud as the others crowded around. “Izzy and her Super Junior brothers’ bonding picnic,” the paper said. The stars of the show looked up at the PD, waiting for more explanation.

                “You guys will go on a picnic outdoors today, where you can have fun with each other,” he said. The stars cheered and jumped up and down, but then the PD went on. “But you’ll all have to make the preparations yourselves, like food, recreational equipment, and transportation. Well, we’ll provide the cars, but you’ll have to decide who’ll drive.”

                “I call driving!” Donghae called. All the Super Junior members looked at him like he was crazy.

                Eunhyuk solemnly walked over to his friend and put a hand on his shoulder. “Buddy, I love you and all, but, your driving, I do not love as much.” The members nodded their heads in agreement, some chuckling and making snide comments to others.

                Donghae’s animated face switched into a pouting one. Izzy looked on amusedly. He really is cute, she thought, giggling.

                Leeteuk consoled his fellow member. “You can sit in my car, and then drive when I get tired,” he kindly offered. Donghae perked up immediately and jumped with joy. He bounded towards the front door of the house, shadowed by Eunhyuk and Heechul. Leeteuk waited until the three members left, then told everyone else, “The drive’s only 30 minutes away.” Sniggering to himself, he went outside to join the other three in getting the cars ready.

                “Well, we should have activities ready for the outing, and a couple other people should make the food,” Siwon said in an authoritative tone. “I’ll go find the recreational things. Any of you guys can come along,” he said, leaving the kitchen. Sungmin, Ryeowook, Yesung, Henry, Zhou Mi, and Kangin all exited as well. Kyuhyun proceeded to follow them, but Izzy grabbed his arm.

                “Hey. You’re going to make lunch with me,” she ordered, pulling him back as he groaned.

                They decided to make gimbap for later that day. Izzy was filling her seaweed and rice rolls with squid, eggs, and crab meat, but when she looked over at Kyuhyun, she noticed he was putting another ‘special’ ingredient into his rolls.

                “Hey,” she began cautiously. “Where did you get those jalapenos? From your underwear drawer or something?”

                Kyuhyun nonchalantly answered, “Yep.” Izzy was taken aback, but then she came to the conclusion that he probably wasn’t paying much attention to her.

                “Yah, Cho Kyuhyun!” she waved her hand in front of his face, grabbing his attention. “What are you doing?”

                His dark eyes looked into hers. “Making gimbap, of course.” He said this with a devilish smile. Izzy took one look and giggled, then went back to her own rolls. She decided she should better make regular, safe ones for everyone, after they got a taste of Kyuhyun’s.

                A little while later, her eyes strayed back over to Kyuhyun’s hands. Immediately she slapped the back of his wrist, causing him to drop his latest ingredient. “Ow! What was that for?” The idol scowled at her.

                Izzy pointedly looked at the tube of toothpaste that was now lying on the ground. “I think toothpaste’s a little too much.” Kyuhyun’s face dropped, disappointed at the lost opportunity. Then Izzy held up held up another interesting product. “Though I don’t see why dipping them in CocaCola would hurt.”

                The Super Junior member raised and lowered his eyebrows as a leer inched across his face.

                As the pair attended to their heinous task, they snickered, anticipating the members’ reactions to the vile concoctions.

                “What are you guys chuckling about?” Donghae asked as he strolled into the kitchen.

                “Nothing,” the maknae said tersely, disguising the tainted food.

                “I’m so obviously messing with the food that everyone’s going to eat, Donghae,” Izzy answered with a straight face.

                Donghae looked suspiciously at them, his eyes flashing between Kyuhyun’s and Izzy’s. Izzy thought she detected a bit of jealousy in them, but brushed it aside. Stop dreaming, she told herself.

                “Well then, I’m not going to eat anything you make. It probably wouldn’t be any good, anyway,” he replied amusedly, any traces of hostility gone from his expression.

                 Izzy picked up a wooden soup spoon and brandished it at the older man. “Yah! Fine, don’t eat mine. Eat maknae’s by yourself.” She tried to act offended, but couldn’t hide her grin. She was imagining what would happen once Donghae took a bit of the cola-jalapeno gimbap.

                Seeing her smile, Donghae laughed out loud and pranced away.

 

                “I’m not getting in the care if he’s driving,” Izzy said in all seriousness, carrying a large picnic basket. Her eyes bore deep into Eunhyuk’s daring him to try to object.

                “Alright, alright. I’ll see what I can do,” he relented. “He’ll be sad, though. I don’t know why Leeteuk hyung suddenly changed the car arrangements,” the Super Junior dancer/rapper sighed. Izzy followed his gaze over to Donghae, who was whispering something to Kyuhyun. “Donghae,” Eunhyuk began, making his way to the driver’s side of the car. “You better get here fast, before I take the driver’s seat.” Eunhyuk’s hand was on the handle of the door.

                Donghae charged over like a madman, but by the time he rounded the car, his best friend was already sitting in the seat and had put the keys into the ignition.

                Izzy playfully laughed at Donghae’s childish antics, and was once again fazed by his cute pouty face.

                “Let me carry that for you.” Kyuhyun’s voice by her side startled her.

                “Oh, uh, sure,” Izzy handed the heavy basket over, surprised by the maknae’s unexpected kind gesture. Then she smiled. “Kyuhyun, you’re so mean,” she squealed, coating each word with as much aegyo as possible. “You won’t even let me carry that light as feathers basket!”

                 He gave her a strange look, then rolled his eyes, walking over to the car. Izzy just laughed some more as she got into the backseat.

                 Izzy tried to look as good as possible as she sat in a ladylike manner between Donghae and Kyuhyun. The camera man in the front passenger seat had focused the lens on her.

                 “Hey, stop distracting me, I’m driving,” Eunhyuk scolded Donghae from behind the wheel. Donghae was playing with his friend’s head, running his fingers through the reddish-brown hair and rubbing his ears.

                 "It’s fun, though,” he ‘justified’ his actions.

                 “Really?” Izzy asked the man sitting next to her, sarcasm apparent in her voice. Then she brought her hands to the silly man’s head and began running her hands through his dark hair, his ears. “I guess you wouldn’t mind me doing this, since we’re having so much fun,” Izzy beamed.

                 Donghae abruptly dropped his hands without saying a word.

                 Izzy’s hands were still on his head. Her pinky slightly grazed his ear, and she realized how awkward of a position she must have put herself in. She quickly put her hands back into her lap, warmth spreading all over her face. Her fingers tingled.

                Silence filled the car; everyone was caught up in their own thoughts. Izzy’s eyes strayed over to Kyuhyun, who had been listening to his iPod. He caught her staring, but said nothing, and steadily returned her scrutiny. The staring contest went on for a while, then Kyuhyun let out a deep breath and offered the satisfied Izzy an earbud.

                Music from his latest musical, Catch Me If You Can, drifed into Izzy’s ear. “I see you really like to rock out,” she said, a sly smile apparent in her expression. The corners of Kyuhyun’s mouth slightly turned up as well.

 

                “I saw you glaring, there’s no need to be envious,” Izzy heard Eunhyuk mumble to Donghae as they walked over to meet the other Super Junior members. She didn’t think much about it, he probably wanted something some other member had.

                “Hi everyone!” she called happily, admiring the place where they’d have their “family” picnic. They all warmly greeted their “sister”, ready to start the day’s activities.

                “Let’s eat first, I’m starving!” Donghae shouted, digging into the basket for the gimbap. Pulling out Kyuhyun’s rolls, he passed them around to everyone. Both Izzy and Kyuhyun said they’d eat Izzy’s instead.

                “Why? Did you do something to these, Kyuhyun? Why is it brown?” Heechul sniffed his roll. His eyes met Izzy’s, who held her breath. Then he winked, and Izzy smiled, knowing that Heechul would help them with their deception.

                “Yea, Kyuhyun totally did something bad to those, right in front of my eyes. The brown couldn’t possibly be soy sauce,” Izzy stated, intending for her comment to be taken lightly. However, Siwon, Kangin, Henry, and Ryeowook slowly lowered their rolls from their mouths.

                “Whatever. I’m eating. Cheers!” Donghae exclaimed, raising his gimbap in the air and touching it with Shindong’s, Leeteuk’s, Eunhyuk’s, ZhouMi’s, Sungmin’s, and Yesung’s. All together, they put the gimbap in their mouths.

                 The following results led Heechul, Izzy, Kyuhyun, Henry, Kangin, and Ryeowook into a laughing hysteria. Eyes watering, tongues burning, throats retching; all the members who ate Kyuhyun’s gimbap were suffering the spiciness of the jalapeno and the absurdness of the Coke. Izzy especially got a kick out of Donghae, who was rolling around on the ground, looking like a type of dog. She stood over him, hands on her hips, smug look on her face.               

                 “I’d give you some real food, but you said you didn’t want my gimbap.”

                 “I was wrong!” he gasped, and grasped her leg. “I need food, please!”

                 Izzy laughed again, shook him off her leg, and went to grab him some of her regular gimbap. She crouched down and held out a piece for him, but Donghae didn’t move at all. His eyes closed, he kept his mouth open, waiting.

                 He can’t be serious. Despite herself, a quite giggle escaped Izzy’s throat. She dropped a small roll of gimbap into Donghae’s mouth, her hands trembling for no apparent reason. “I’m feeding my dog,” she told Henry and ZhouMi as they walked by, looking at the humorous scene. ZhouMi narrowed his eyes when he looked at Izzy, but she flashed him a giant smile, and he automatically grinned back at her. I guess he forgives me for the gimbap.

                 One by one, she fed Donghae pieces of her own gimbap. When she finished, he sat up and looked at her face. ”Thank you, the meal was delicious,” he stated.

                 Izzy just giggled. “Hey, come on, it’s time for games!” Siwon called, waving everyone over to him.

                 He had prepared sack races, hula hoops, even an obstacle course for the outing. Everyone enthusiastically participated in the activities, and each person had fun.

                 At the end of the day, each person was exhausted from all the physical activity they had done, and aside from the drivers, slept during the car ride home. Sleep Izzy tried to keep her head straight, but it kept tilting towards one side, threatening to rest on one of her brothers' shoulders. Eventually, she relented and just fell asleep, not caring where her head went.

               When she opened her eyes, she found herself already back in the house, in her own bed. "I must be magic," she said in mock awe, chuckling at her own silliness. The cameras were still trained on her though, and the PD handed her an envelope. "Please pick a 'best' and a 'worst' brother for this week," she read its contents outloud. "This ought to be easy," she commented. As usual, she was being sarcastic.