Should I Audition?

Falling In Love With My On-Screen Brother

1.

                Im Izzy opened her eyes as she woke to the sound her alarm clock. Yawning, she sat herself up in her bed and stretched her arms. Looking out the window, she said to herself, “Today’s going to be another great day, I can tell!” It was raining buckets outside.

                Getting out of bed, she the radio. Super Junior’s Donghae and Eunhyuk’s “Oppa, Oppa” was playing. The 23-year-old disco-danced herself throughout her apartment as she went through her morning routine – going to the bathroom, getting dressed, and having breakfast. Softly singing the catchy tune to herself, she grabbed her things and walked out of her apartment door to go to work.

                Stopping by the usual bus stop, Izzy waited for the public bus to arrive. It was raining buckets, but Izzy was thankful she was safe and dry under her umbrella. Glancing to her right, she noticed a middle-aged woman sitting on the waiting bench, using her satchel briefcase to unsuccessfully shield her from the rain.

                “Here, it’s not like you can get any wetter,” Izzy said with a smile as she walked over and held the umbrella over the woman’s head.

                Looking up at her with a relieved look, the woman said, “Thank you, I am very grateful.”

                “No problem,” Izzy replied. “Although you looked like you were having the time of your life getting soaked.” Her words practically dripped sarcasm, yet her expression was clearly full of humor and mirth.

                The woman giggled. “You know, you’re quite funny. And you’re pretty, too.”

                “Thanks. I try.” Izzy struck a mocking pose, delicately framing her face with her hands and making a silly face, closing her eyes and pursing her lips.

                An amused expression on her face, the older female opened her bag and pulled out a business card. “I could use someone like you. You see, I work at the television network –BS, and we are considering running a new reality show. We just need to find a female lead, and you seem to fit the bill. Why don’t you come audition next week? There’s a good possibility you could make it.”

                She handed Izzy the card, who looked at it dubiously. “I don’t know,” she hesitantly began. “I’ve never even considered doing anything like this before.” Once the idea was planted in her mind, however, it began to grow on her, and Izzy secretly became excited.

                A small dark blue car pulled up on the street in front of the two ladies. “That’s my ride to work. I have to go now,” the network employee stood and respectfully bid farewell to her junior. Rushing through the pouring rain, she made her way to the car. Izzy watched as she got into the passenger seat. Before shutting the door, the woman called out, “I’ll be rooting for you, fighting!”

                Izzy continued standing under her umbrella, looking at the card in her hand, contemplating whether or not to take the chance.

 

                Walking into the library, Izzy cheerfully greeted her coworker. “Morning Jiyoo, beautiful day out, isn’t it?” She shook the water off her umbrella.

                Jiyoo, already sitting at the check-out desk, grumbled, “I don’t need any of your sassy sarcasm today, Izzy. We have a buttload to do.” The elder female, nearing 30 years of age, was filing cards and checking in a large stack of returned books.

                Izzy just smiled, sat in her spot behind the desk, and began helping her friend with the work.

               

                During her lunch break, Izzy took her lunch out of her bag. As she did, the small business card fell out. She picked it up and stared at it, forgetting everything except what the woman in the rain had told her.

                “What’s that you’ve got there?” Jiyoo’s coarse voice asked.

                “Oh, it’s a business card. Some lady from –BS broadcasting station asked me to audition for some upcoming reality show.”

                Jiyoo bounded over to Izzy, her eyes wide. “You’re going to do it, right?”

                “Um, I’m not sure yet,” Izzy said. “I don’t even know what the show’ll be about, or if it’s even legit.”

                “Go for it! Worst case is that you don’t make it. And even if you pass the audition, you can always refuse the offer, right?” Jiyoo reasoned. Although she was a grumpy friend sometimes, she had a level head and was always supportive of her younger friend.

                “I guess.” Izzy pondered for a minute, putting a finger to her chin. “Okay,” she beamed brightly. “I’ll do it.”