Chapter 2: She's Awake!

Phantom

Chapter 2

She’s Awake!

                “Hurry it up guys! By the time we get there, it’ll be day break!” Katrina shouted impatiently as she leaned on the truck bed. By this time they had arrived at their destination. Well, sort of. Their plan was to paint the alleyway three blocks away. They parked the truck at a significant distance from the target so no attention would be brought to the alleyway. A red truck right outside a deserted dead end? That would have been a dead giveaway.

                Not only were they being careful with the truck, but they were also sure to create cover for themselves, and that meant camouflage. Katrina was already in her night stalking costume: Black cardigan, camo pants, black knit hat, and black face paint that covered all of her exposed skin. Right now Atlas and Phillip were changing in the truck, and Katrina was getting more and more impatient by the minute.

                “Hold your horses! I just need to finish Philly’s paint!” Atlas bellowed from the front. A few minutes later, they both emerged from the driver door. Atlas was dressed in much of the same way as Katrina, only he also sported a black trench coat, and instead of a knit hat, he proudly wore a black cowboy hat over his Mohawk. Phillip, on the other hand, had on different attire entirely. Actually, it would probably be more accurate to say that he hardly had any attire on at all. He borrowed a pair of Atlas’s dark wash jeans, but that was the only article of clothing that could be seen. His feet and chest were bare and painted black, along with his angelic face of course.

                “Philly? Why don’t you have any clothes on?” Katrina shook her head. He may be in high school, but he was as immature as his outward appearance suggested. Phillip shrugged.

                “It’s nice outside” Phillip gave her his winning grin. Katrina was about to dismiss the issue, but then her eyes spotted a splash of red around Phillip’s navel. Upon closer look, she found a crimson, heart-shaped mark framing his bellybutton.

                “Uh, Philly? Did you draw that?” Katrina asked. It seemed like something he would do. He looked down at his stomach.

                “Oh, no. That’s a birthmark” he grinned sheepishly. But Katrina was skeptical. A perfectly heart-shaped birthmark situated exactly around his navel? Impossible. But her thoughts were interrupted.

                “Come on guys! The night’s not getting any younger.” Atlas reminded them, and with that, they started off to the alleyway, paint cans in hand. Katrina and Atlas knew just where to stalk at night so that the darkness covered them like a cloak. As they advanced towards their destination, another figure cloaked in darkness stalked them from about a block away. He didn’t dare to get any closer however, because the white figure situated himself between the dark one and its prey. The white one never left Katrina’s side since she got out of the truck, and she never saw him. That was an advantage of being in spirit form, an advantage his opponent didn’t have. Katrina would certainly see the dark specter if he decided to step into the light.

And so, the trio with spirit in tow and specter slinking behind finally arrived at the alleyway. As soon as they were about to step into the dead end, Katrina stopped Phillip in his tracks.

“You stay here” she warned as she shook her paint can, preparing it for mischief. Phillip automatically pouted.

“But I want to go with you! You two shouldn’t have all the fun! It’s no fair!” he whined, crossing his arms in defiance. Atlas placed his hand on the little boy’s shoulder.

“We know, so you’ll stand guard. If anyone comes, just give us a yell and we’ll make a dash for it.” Phillip still wasn’t convinced. Katrina rolled her eyes.

“Pretend like this is one of your spy movies and you’re watching for the bad guys.” Phillip brightened at that idea.

“Ok! I’ll let you know if I see anyone!” he exclaimed as he somersaulted to the edge of the alleyway, humming the theme music to “Mission Impossible.” Katrina and Atlas smiled. He was just too cute! With that, they began what they loved to do most: break the law. They picked a blank spot on the wall at a distance from where they could see Phillip, but just barely. Atlas started spraying, and in no time, a wolf was almost leaping from the wall, eyes bright and teeth gleaming. Katrina was taking a little more time with her masterpiece. When she was finished, she stood back, allowing her friend to admire it. Atlas took one look and gave her a sad smile.

“Again Katrina? What is with you and that play?” he asked as Katrina became surrounded in thought. She had painted a mask; a white masquerade mask from “The Phantom of the Opera”. She didn’t know why, but she had always been fascinated with that play, begging her father to take her to the theatre when the Broadway production came to town, watching the movie a thousand times, and painting symbols from the play during her free time. Her dad always blamed it on her mom because she too was in love with the same play. The thought made her cringe.

“I don’t want to have anything in common with my mom. Not after what she did to my dad and me. Not after she abandoned us.” As she was absorbed in her bitter thoughts, the dark specter was getting impatient. His prey was in the perfect position: she was out in the open and distracted by her inner conflicts. He would attack, if it weren’t for that infernal spirit interfering. He hated Phantoms. They would pay dearly for trying to get in the way of his clan’s plans of domination. His hateful thoughts were interrupted when he spotted a potential solution: a generator. A perfect instrument to create destruction, and as fate had it, it was directly adjacent from the couple. Excellent. He took his plan into action. Slipping by the foolish boy, and creeping along the wall, he made his way closer to the generator. However, as he got to a close enough proximity along the wall, he realized that if he followed though his plan where he was now, he would be destroyed as well. So, he trekked vertically along the wall until he was almost to the top.

By that time, the protective spirit realized what the dark one was planning to do. Panicking, he tried to get Katrina’s attention, but she was too lost in thought to pay attention. Atlas couldn’t hear him either. The spirit was running out of options. In a final attempt, the spirit rushed to Phillip, and whispered in his ear.

“Look behind you”

Unintentionally following the white one’s directions, he glanced behind him, and saw the dark figure. Alarmed, he started running towards the two and yelled

“Hey! Above you!”

No, no, no! Don’t run towards them! The spirit was in a state of chaos. Thousands of miles away, a boy reading a book in his candlelit room was alerted. He could sense something was wrong.

Ryeowook? What’s going on? he thought. His question was transferred to the spirit’s mind through telepathy. The receiver wouldn’t answer. Ryeowook willed his spirit to fly at full speed towards the group. Worried, the boy put down what he was reading and made his way towards Ryeowook’s room. When he got there, all he found was Ryeowook’s body in the lotus position across from a wall mirror surrounded by sticks of incense. “He must be astral projecting again” he thought as he sat upon his companion’s bed. He figured he would wait until Ryeowook’s spirit came back to his body before he returned to his own room. He wanted to make sure he was ok. “Katrina must be doing something really stupid tonight.” He rolled his eyes. Idiot girl.

Meanwhile, the dark figure was preparing his mind for his attack. As he got in position, he noticed that Phillip was now joining the other two. The specter grinned evilly. “The more the merrier.” He thought, as he closed his eyes and started to breathe deeply. Ryeowook knew what was about to come. By that time, Atlas and Katrina were alerted by Phillip’s outburst and looked to see what was above them. They were confused to see a cloaked figure with light, brown hair meditating on top of the building. Seeing that they weren’t planning on moving, Ryeowook floated to the now aware Katrina and shouted,

“RUN!”

She then instinctively took hold of Atlas and Phillip and started sprinting towards the exit of the alleyway. However, no sooner had they began their trek that the figure suddenly opened his eyes and released a wave of energy at the generator. Instantaneously, the generator burst into flames, creating a huge explosion that lit up the alleyway like the 4thof July. The trio continued to run to safety, Ryeowook speeding behind, trying to protect them, but it was obvious that they weren’t going to make it; the fiery cloud of destruction was hot on their tail. At that moment, everything ran in slow motion for Katrina. She could clearly see her friends’ panic in their faces, she could feel the growing heat behind them, and she could see that they were running entirely too slow. They needed to run faster. They needed to be at the end of the alleyway. They needed to be safe………

They were at the truck… They were at the truck?! She frantically looked around. The three were no longer at the alleyway, but three blocks away where they had parked Atlas’s vehicle. She looked towards where they had previously been. There, the explosion cloud could be clearly seen, and the police and firemen were already on the scene. She blinked, trying to bring herself back to reality. How did they get there? She could have sworn that they were about to be eaten alive by hungry flames, but now they were safe. How? By that time, Atlas had come back to his senses.

“Dang. It’s amazing what adrenaline can do eh?” Atlas tried to smile, but it turned out more like a grimace because he was still in shock. Phillip tried to nod in agreement, but he was too frozen from fear. So that was Atlas’s explanation: adrenaline. It actually made sense. It was common knowledge that it could make your body do incredible things, like run at surprising speeds, and it could certainly blur events together. They probably just didn’t remember making their way back to the truck. But Katrina wasn’t quite convinced. However, she didn’t have much time to think about the matter, because as quick as a flash, a police car, sirens blazing, approached them. Katrina mentally cussed, and edited and revised her explanation speech for the cops, and ultimately, for Dad.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, Ryeowook and the specter were in shock.

“She transported. She actually transported!” She wasn’t supposed to be able to do that until the initiation. She was only supposed to be able to use her individual power, but before his eyes, she transported out of harms way, with two people in tow no less! Ryeowook grinned victoriously at the figure, who snarled venomously at him.

“You may have won this time Phantom” the figure sneered. “But your precious heir will be mine!” With that, he melted into the darkness and vanished. At that, reality set back in. Ryeowook had to tell the others.

Kyuhyun? he mentally asked. His question traveled back to the boy in his bedroom.

Ryeowook? What happened? He leaned forward in anticipation.

Gather the others Kyuhyun. It’s time. Kyuhyun darted out of the room while Ryeowook looked towards the skies, and recited “Take me back to my body.” His spirit suddenly became a blur as it traveled back to its host at the Haven. He reveled the joyful feeling of flying through the spiritual realm as the spectral wind whizzed past his glowing form. He laughed as he saw the world flash by. Before he knew it, he was back home, and made a crash landing into his body. Slowly, he came back to his senses, getting used to his earthly movements again. As his vision cleared, he saw that all nine members of the clan were crammed into his room. He searched for one face in particular, and when he found it, he said five words that would change everything:

“Her powers are awake Leeteuk.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Whew! Sorry this chapter's so long, but I just couldn't stop writing! I had to get all my ideas down. :) Anyway, I've revealed three Super Junior members and the other six via cameo, but you will be seeing more of them, believe me. And no, I'm not revealing the bad guy until later. I'm trying to build suspense ;) I hope you guys like this! Again, thank you for the subscribers, and I can't wait to see some comments down below! ^^

~Justjoking <3