Chapter 1: Painting the Town

Phantom

Chapter 1

Painting the Town

            “Ugh! Come on Atlas, where are you?” Katrina said to herself as she sat in her bedroom window, watching for the red pickup that should have been there 10 minutes ago. She checked her phone for the billionth time. Atlas hadn’t responded to her texts or her calls.

            “Probably has the music pumped too loud. Idiot.” Why couldn’t he be on time for once? She wanted to get out of the confines of her house. Out of her dad’s constraints. Just out. She wanted to be free. To feel the adrenaline she’s been craving since the last get together with her friend. Who knew that Twinkies could taste so good when you use the five finger discount? She chuckled at the memory, and wondered what trouble they would cause tonight.

            As soon as the question crossed her mind, a red flash blazed into her peripheral vision. It was Atlas.

“Finally!” Beyond ready for the night’s adventure, she leaped from her two-story window into the bushes lining the front of her house. She loved jumping from heights; she would always imagine she was falling in slow motion so that she could enjoy every detail: the wind in her hair, the weightlessness. It was in those moments that she truly believed she could fly. But, the illusion was lost as she touched down and everything became normal again. She sprinted to the pickup and hopped in the front seat.

“Drive.” She commanded, not even looking at the driver.

“Well, hello to you too!” Atlas chided, as he took off to who knows where. “I take it you’re ready to paint the town?”

“You didn’t answer my calls.” Katrina responded, eyes forward, still not stealing a glimpse at her best friend.

“Aw, is Mommy mad at Daddy?” A little voice asked. Turning towards Atlas, Katrina found that they weren’t alone. A little boy with a shock of blonde hair was smiling at her, bouncing up and down as though he had way too much candy.

“Philly? What are you doing here?” Katrina was shocked. Philly, or Phillip if you want to get technical, was one of her closest friends, besides Atlas of course. He was 14, a freshman at her high school, but he looked like an innocent little 4th grader. He was so cute, that no one could resist his childish charm. In fact, Katrina thought of Phillip as her little brother more than a friend, which is why she was concerned as to why he was coming to one of their weekend outings.

“He bugged me to bring him” Atlas answered. Atlas was a junior, like Katrina, and sported a 6-inch Mohawk that he recently colored lime green. He had a baby face that attracted all the ladies, a fact that he wouldn’t let anyone forget. Along with his good looks, he had a great figure, despite being bigger around than the other guys. He was a great guy, and he was Katrina’s.

“Then you should have told him no,” Katrina rebuked, though she couldn’t blame him; Philly had a way of using his looks to get what he wanted.

“But I’ve hung out with you guys before!” Phillip pouted.

“Yes, but tonight we’re actually doing something illegal. You could get caught.” Katrina chided. Usually indulging in criminal activities didn’t bother her, but she didn’t want her innocent companion to go down the road Atlas and she had chosen.

“So? I have nothing to do tonight, and I want to come! Besides, I can just watch.” He grinned, knowing that Katrina couldn’t say no. He was right. Katrina just shook her head and smiled.

“Fine, but you’re only watching. From a distance” she ruffled his hair, and Atlas turned up the music.

“So, does your dad know you’re out?” he asked a smile on his lips. He knew the answer. Katrina snorted.

“Of course not! Do you know how much trouble I’d be in if he knew? Besides, it’s not like he’s around enough to know anyway. He’s always hung up at that stupid job he has.” Katrina tried not to show it, but she really wished her dad was around more often. She wanted him to be there for her. To hang out with her. To love her. Atlas brought his arm over Phillip’s small form and around Katrina’s shoulder, creating a Philly sandwich.

“Don’t worry Katrina, tonight will help you forget about all that,” he placed a small kiss on her cheek, making Katrina smile and causing Phillip to gag.

“So, what are we going to do tonight, after you guys finish making out I mean,” Phillip chided. Katrina smiled.

“Remember when we said we were going to paint the town?” she asked. Phillip nodded “We’re doing exactly that.” Phillip brightened.

“You mean…?” Atlas took out a brightly colored can.

“Yes Phillip, it’s graffiti time,”

The red pickup took off at law-breaking speeds as they hit the highway towards downtown. Little did they know that a white, glowing figure was watching them from the trees at the neighboring forest. The figure shook his head.

“Oh Katrina, when will you ever learn that you can’t find freedom from breaking the rules?” He thought to himself as he surveyed the area. Suddenly, he spotted another figure cloaked in darkness. It was him. His glowering black eyes followed the truck with hunger. The white figure knew what that meant.

“You’re not going to kill her. Not on my watch!” With that, he spread his wings and took off, flying just behind the truck. The dark one took that as a challenge, and began running, struggling to keep up with the truck. The white one smirked at his adversary, continuing to fly with the vehicle that contained Katrina. They were all singing, having a great time. He shook his head.

“You’ll learn sooner or later Katrina. This life is not for you.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There you have it! The first chapter! ^^ Now I will tell you, yes, the white figure is a Super Junior member, but I'm just not telling which member yet because I feel like being evil! Muhahaha! >:) But don't worry, you'll find out who he is next chapter, and there'll probably be a few more sj appearances next chapter as well. So many reasons to subcribe! :D Speaking of which, thank you to those who have subcribed. Your support is very much appreciated! :)

~Justjoking <3