Chapter 3: Christine's Summons

Phantom

Chapter 3

Christine’s Summons

                “I can’t take much more of this Katrina! I tell you not to go out tonight, and you deliberately disobeyed me. What’s worse is that the police got involved. Again! What were you thinking?” Charles Daae rambled on as he stomped into the house and dropped his briefcase on the floor beside his favorite plush armchair. Katrina trudged slowly behind her dad, growing tired of the continuous nagging.

                “I was thinking that I wanted to make as much trouble for you as I can because that’s the kind of delinquent daughter I am apparently!” Katrina replied sarcastically. Mr. Daae rubbed his temple with his thumb and forefinger, slowly sinking into his chair.

                “Katrina, you know I don’t think of you that way. You’re a great kid, but I’d just wish you’d act like it every once and a while.” This got an eye-roll from his “great kid”. He pointed his figure at his daughter. “I know it’s all that kid Atlas’s fault! He’s trouble, that one.”

                “You don’t know anything about him Dad! And besides, we weren’t doing anything! We weren’t even near that explosion when it happened! We were blocks away. There’s no way we could have caused it. The police were just angry that the real culprit got away, so they decided to take their frustration out on us.” Katrina exclaimed.

                “Yes, but you were breaking curfew. So yes, you did break the law, and with little Phillip in tow! What were you thinking? He’s just a kid, and now I’m probably going to get angry phone calls from his mom and-“

                “Would you relax?! We only got a warning. We didn’t even get in that much trouble!” she shouted as she started her way to the confines of the bathroom. She needed to get the stupid face paint off.

                “Where do you think you’re going? We’re not finished talking!” Mr. Daae yelled, but Katrina’s only reply was her bathroom door slamming so loud that he could feel the angry vibrations from his chair. He sighed deeply and slunk down in his seat. Where did he go wrong? He loved his daughter very much, but he just wished that she would behave and stay home like a normal child. His hands automatically reached for the side table drawer and pulled out a single picture. It showed the image of his beloved wife, Christine. He smiled, remembering her angelic face, her sweet voice, her loving presence. He hugged the picture to his chest. He still loved her even though she had been missing for fifteen long years. He knew Katrina didn’t like her mom because she believed she ran away, but he knew she’d come back. She promised she would the night she disappeared. If only she would come tonight. He needed her guidance…

                KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

                A sudden knocking came from the front door. Puzzled, he looked at the clock. It was five minutes till midnight.

                “Who could be visiting at this ungodly hour?” he thought as he slowly made his way towards the door. When he opened it, a handsome young man with sandy brown hair and a gentle smile wearing a black coat and pure white undershirt was revealed. Mr. Daae wondered why a stranger would be at his door. “May I help you?” he asked. The man smiled.

                “Yes, actually. I came to pick up Katrina.” He grinned. Mr. Daae was shocked, though he tried not to show it. He couldn’t be from the police could he? The man chuckled. “No Mr. Daae, I’m not from the police department. I’m here because Christine sent me.”  This made Mr. Daae almost double over.

                “Chr-chr-christine?!” he stuttered. The man leaned his head forward.

                “May I come in?” It took a few seconds for the question to register for Charles, but eventually he nodded sporadically, and the stranger strode into the front entrance. “Nice place you have here Charles. Christine was right: you have great taste.”

                “Wh-who are you?” Charles asked as he frantically followed the man into his own living room, struggling to keep up with the other’s fast pace.

                “My name is Leeteuk, and I am a very close friend of Christine’s. We sponsor a boarding school together, the boarding school where I’m taking Katrina now.” Leeteuk gazed upstairs in the direction of the bathroom, as though he knew that’s where the girl was.

                “NOW? But-but-but-“

 “Now now Charles” Leeteuk smiled and patted Mr. Daae’s hand in comfort. “It’s going to be alright. Katrina will be safe with us, and we’ll keep her out of trouble.” Charles pulled away from the strange man.

“Now wait just a minute! You can’t just strut in here and take my daughter away from me! Where’s Christine? She said she’d come back.” He protested. By this time, unbeknownst to the two gentlemen, Katrina, hearing the commotion from the bathroom, slunk towards the stairway banister and started to spy on the two.

“I know, and she’s very sorry that she couldn’t make it to pick up Katrina herself, but right now she’s tied up with things and she just can’t come right now. We would wait to take her, but judging from what happened tonight, we think that Katrina needs to come now.” Charles became wide-eyed. Christine really was ok! She’s not missing, she’s running a school. That was always her dream…

Wait a second Charles! Mr. Daae scolded himself. How do I know this ‘Leeteuk’ gentleman isn’t lying? How do I know Christine really sent him? I mean, why would she leave us just to run a school?

Leeteuk jumped slightly in realization. “Oh! I almost forgot!” He reached inside his coat and took out a white masquerade mask. Both Charles’s and Katrina’s eyes widened.

“That’s the mask I painted tonight!” Katrina thought, leaning forward against the railing. Leeteuk continued:

“Christine told me to give you this. She said you’d know what this meant.” He handed the mask to a stunned Charles, who held it tenderly.

I gave her this that night. After the coming back from “The Phantom of the Opera” play, she took Katrina to bed, and I surprised her with this after she got back, telling her it was the symbol of our love. She said she adored it…. Charles spent a few moments reliving the memory. Christine’s delight. His happiness. Going to bed with her in his arms. Waking up the next morning finding her and the mask gone and a note on the nightstand. The note read:

My Dear Charles,

I’m very sorry I have to leave you like this, but I have to do this to protect you and our daughter. I want so much to stay, but if I do, all I have lived for will be destroyed. I won’t return for a long time, my love, but when I do, know that I will bring the symbol of our love with me, which I will bring with me everywhere I go. Please know this: I love you Charles. I love you and our daughter very much. Never forget.

Your Beloved,

Christine Daae

 

He examined the mask from every angle. As he observed the back, he saw that her name “Christine Daae” was written with beautiful script right under the left eye. He smiled. He also found a tiny folded-up note attached to the ribbon tied to the mask. He unfolded the note with care, and it read:

Charles:

Please send Katrina with my trusted friend. He will take good care of her.

Christine

 

Charles was brought back to reality as Leeteuk cleared his throat.

“So, Mr. Daae?” the man prompted. The distraught man slowly looked into the Leeteuk’s mesmerizing eyes. A sudden fear came upon Charles. Will he be able to see his daughter again? Yes, his wife obviously sent a sign with Leeteuk, but does that mean Katrina would be gone from his life too? Leeteuk seemed to read his mind.

“You’ll see her again Charles. Maybe not for a few months at a time, but she will not be taken out of your life permanently. I promise.” Leeteuk gave Charles a sincere smile of encouragement. Charles contemplated his words for a moment, and then simply nodded his consent. He would allow Katrina to go with this Leeteuk. Christine must know what she’s doing. He should trust her. He had to trust her.

Leeteuk smiled at Charles reply, and then looked up to where Katrina was perched, as though he knew where she was lurking the whole time. Charles followed his gaze. Oh great, now he’d have to actually make his rebellious daughter go with this man. But to his surprise, Leeteuk walked up the stairs like he owned the place, bowed to a very confused Katrina, and lead her to her room.

“Come Katrina. We must get you packed for your trip. We wouldn’t want you to miss the first day of school, would we?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And there's Chapter 3! Sorry it doesn't have alot of action, but I had to get some back story in so that the plot would make sense. Hope you like it! Please subscribe and comment! Speaking of which, thank you chudo-Ned for being the first commenter! :D That means so much to me, it really does ^^ Until next chapter!

~Justjoking <3