Chapter 9: Checking On Yesung

Phantom

Chapter 9

Checking On Yesung

                The room became deadly silent. Leeteuk kept his head turned to the side, swimming through the memories of the day Onew massacred the Phantom Clan. He had always been such a sweet, happy child, but one day, out of the blue, he just started attacking everyone and everything in sight. He even tried to kill Leeteuk, but he was able to use his force field to protect himself and the other three survivors. He had seen Onew’s eyes that day, and they were not the same as before; they had changed from his usually bright, goldish brown to a dark, soulless black. He wasn’t the same. He had turned evil. How he transformed into that monster, he still did not know, but he did know that the boy he used to call his brother was his brother no more.

                As Leeteuk lost himself in his thoughts, Katrina just sat there solemnly. She couldn’t imagine having someone she really cared about destroy everything she lived for. And yet Leeteuk had to deal with just that. She was suddenly determined; determined to rescue her mother, determined to destroy Onew once and for all, and determined to keep her clan safe.

                Just as Katrina was about to break the silence, a knock came from the door, breaking Leeteuk’s train of thought.

                “Come in,” he commanded, and Sungmin poked his head in, making sure his leader wasn’t in the middle of something important.

                “I beg your pardon Leeteuk, but Siwon would like to speak to you about… well, you know.” Sungmin stated, muttering the last words since Katrina was still present. Leeteuk nodded and stood from his seat.

                “Alright then, Katrina, our meeting is going to have to end for now. We’ll continue talking later, but right now it seems my second in command needs me,” explained Leeteuk. Katrina nodded. “You are free to walk around the Haven and get used to the lay out.” He continued. This made Katrina smile.

                “I get free to sneak around?” she thought. “Yes!”

                “BUT,” Leeteuk interrupted Katrina’s thoughts, “Do not cause trouble. If you do, well, let’s just say Eric left behind a marvelous book on torture which I’ve been dying to use.” With that, he left a wide-eyed Katrina in his office with Sungmin, an amused smile on his face. “Please let that work.” He mentally pleaded as he transported to Siwon’s room once they got out in the hallway where Katrina couldn’t see.

                It took Katrina a few seconds to calm her heart after Leeteuk’s threat, but when she did, she just brushed it off. “Eh, he’s probably just saying that to scare me.” She looked at all the books on the bookshelf, and to her horror, found one that read The Basics of Human Torture. “Then again, it doesn’t hurt to be safe.”

                Deciding to take Leeteuk’s advice and explore the mansion, she exited the office, only to find Donghae moon walking past, waving his hand as though he were telling someone to follow him. Confused, Katrina looked down the hall to find her bags floating towards Donghae like they were following his command. Katrina almost freaked out for the hundredth time that day, but she stopped herself.

                “Katrina get a grip,” she mentally scolded herself, “You’re going to be seeing a lot of this magical power stuff from now on, so you might as well get used to it.” At that moment, Donghae noticed her standing there, and smiled.

                “Hey there!” he greeted Katrina, bowing to her respectively.

                “Um, hi. Donghae right?” she replied. Donghae responded with a big, silly grin.

                “That’s me! Hey, I’ve got your things!” he pointed towards the levitating bags. Katrina just stared at them before replying,

                “Yep, you sure do.” She replied a little awkwardly. She didn’t know what else to say. Donghae chuckled.

                “You’re still wierded out by our powers aren’t you?” he smiled sympathetically. He knew what being new to the clan felt like.

                “Yeah, a little.” Katrina admitted. Suddenly, something occurred to her. “Speaking of weird powers, where’s Yesung? Is he ok?” she asked. Donghae’s eyes and smile widened.

                “I knew Eunhyuk was wrong! You do have a heart!” he exclaimed as he gave Katrina a big bear hug.

                “He said what now?” Katrina asked, though it was difficult to do so in the other’s crushing embrace. Donghae stiffened.

                “Uh, nothing. Hey! I was just about to check up on Yesung actually. You wanna come with?” he asked.

                “If I say yes, will you let me go?” Katrina replied with a bit of sarcasm, but just a little bit though. She found that she surprisingly didn’t want to hurt the boy’s feelings. He was too kind-hearted, like Philly. Donghae beamed again.

                “Yep!” he released Katrina, allowing her to breathe again. “But let me put your bags in your room first.” He opened the door neighboring Leeteuk’s and motioned for the bags to float into Katrina’s new room. Katrina only took a glance of her mother’s old room, but what she did see impressed her; it was decorated in quite the same way as Leeteuk’s office except the colors of the décor were blue and white, and there was a small bed in addition to a sofa and armchair. As soon as the luggage had safely landed on the bed, Donghae stopped concentrating on his powers. As she watched his work, Katrina remembered something from before.

                “Hey, wasn’t that Shindong guy supposed to help with my bags too?” It wasn’t like she cared if he helped or not, but she found herself wanting to see the Atlas look-alike again.

                “Oh, he’s with the others tending to Yesung. He wanted to make sure he was ok. He’s very protective of the ones he cares about.” Donghae explained.

Protective of the ones he cares about.

                “Just like Atlas.” Katrina muttered. Donghae cocked his head innocently.

                “What was that?” he asked. Oops. Katrina hadn’t meant to say that out loud.

                “Uh, nothing. So, let’s go check on Yesung shall we?” Katrina smiled, hoping Donghae would forget about what she said.

                “You bet! Let’s go!” Donghae exclaimed, grabbing for Katrina’s hand. Before she could protest, he closed his eyes and thought.

                To Yesung’s room please

 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                Rapid flashes of light danced around Katrina’s eyes as she and her new companion traveled to Yesung’s room. In an instant, they had materialized into a room a tad smaller than Leeteuk’s and her own room. It had the same colors as Leeteuk’s office, but the huge window on the far wall made it seem cheerier. The only furniture Yesung had in his room was a desk which was littered with sheets of paper that had various words scribbled on them, two small bookshelves which were stuffed with leather bound notebooks, much like the one Sungmin had wrote in during Yesung’s prophesy episode, and a sofa, which Yesung was currently sleeping on. Ryeowook, Kyuhyun, Shindong, and Eunhyuk surrounded the sleeping form. None of them noticed the new arrivals.

                “He’s finally getting some sleep.” Ryeowook informed the others as he Yesung’s raven hair. They all sighed.

                “Thank goodness! I’ve never seen the possession become that painful for him before.” Kyuhyun replied, standing from his crouching position.

                “Yes, little Katrina arrives, and then Yesung gives a prophesy that almost kills him. Coincidence? I think not.” Eunhyuk remarked with an angry scowl on his face. Katrina was furious.

                “Who does this guy think he is?” she thought, but she kept her opinions to herself as she and Donghae continued to listen.

                “Come on Eunhyuk, lighten up. It’s not her fault the spirits gave him a powerful prediction. In fact, I think she was a bit worried about him.” Ryeowook replied. Katrina smiled. Ok, she liked this guy. Shindong nodded in agreement.

                “Yeah, she did seem concerned when he was in pain.” He remarked. Kyuhyun snorted in reply.

                “Yeah? Well if that’s the case, why isn’t she here?” Kyuhyun asked sarcastically. At this, Katrina cleared , causing the others to jump back in shock.

                “Eunhyuk! Guess what!” Donghae exclaimed, bouncing up and down slightly. “She does have a heart! She asked to see Yesung! Isn’t that awesome?” This made Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun scowl in aggravation, but Ryeowook and Shindong smiled, glad that Katrina really did care. It was silent for a few moments before Eunhyuk slowly stood from his seat on the couch arm chair.

                “Yes, well, I do believe I’m going to warm up for tonight’s training session. Come along Donghae.” Eunhyuk commanded as he started to take Donghae’s hand.

                “But Eunhyuk! I wanted to see Yesung too!” Donghae protested. Katrina smirked.

                “Yeah Eunhyuk. Have a heart. I have one.” Katrina’s smirk grew to a grin. Everyone snickered at Katrina’s comeback, except for Eunhyuk and Kyuhyun of course.

                “Fine Donghae, stay here. But if you at today’s lesson, don’t come crying to me.” He angrily transported out of the room, leaving the room silent again until Kyuhyun broke it moments later.

                “Yeah, I’m going too.” Kyuhyun stated as he transported as well. As soon as he did so, Shindong burst out into laughter.

                “Aw man! That was great!” Shindong managed to say between laughs. This made Katrina smile again. She swore that his laughter sounded just like her best friend. How could he remind her so much of him?

Meanwhile, Donghae was not laughing.

                ‘He’s mad at me.” He muttered, on the verge of tears. Ryeowook went over to Donghae and held him in his arms.

                “No Donghae, he’s just under a lot of stress right now. We all are. He’s having a hard time accepting that we almost lost Yesung. Also, by what the prophesy foretold, we could all be destroyed in the upcoming struggle. He’s scared.” Ryeowook comforted Donghae. Donghae sniffled.

                “Yeah, well he doesn’t need to take out his stress on me or Katrina. We didn’t do anything to deserve this.” Donghae rebuked. Katrina suddenly felt guilty.

                “Well, actually, I was kinda rude to him Donghae. Maybe I should go apologize?” she suggested. Donghae thought for a minute.

                “Not right now, he might not listen while he’s angry. I’ll go make up with him. Maybe then he’ll be in a better mood when you see him.” Donghae seemed to brighten at this idea, and he hugged Katrina and Ryeowook in a group hug. “Thanks guys! I’ll see you at the training room.” He said as he snapped his fingers and vanished.

                “Yeah, maybe I should go too. I need to work on my form.” Shindong remarked, flexing comically. “You guys ok looking after Yesung by yourselves?”  Ryeowook nodded.

                “Yeah, we’ve got it. See you at practice Shindong!” Ryeowook smiled. Shindong returned the smile, winked at Katrina, and then vanished as well. Katrina was a little sad that he had left, but she knew she’d see him again. Ryeowook turned to Katrina.

                “So, I’m guessing you want to know how I was with you at the alleyway,” said Ryeowook. Katrina nodded.

                “Definitely.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another long chapter, but with a little more action. BTW, I'm so glad everyone likes Yesung in this story! ^^ Anyway, thanks for the subscriptions, and I can't wait to hear more of your comments. :)

~Justjoking <3