Chapter 11

MASKED FEELINGS

 

A week after

Curtiana: “Hey, can’t you walk any slower?” Su Hee panted as she caught up with my pace, “is there anything to hurry about?”

I quickly passed by the front gate and made sure that I’ll be walking away from the crowd. I went for the path at the back of the building with Su Hee by my side.

“You’ve been acting like this these past few days, miss.” She continued. It is obvious from her stride that she’s trying her best to keep up with my speed.

“AH!” she yelled as if she discovered a great discovery which can change the whole universe.

Her yelling made me immediately stop, of course. I’m more of startled than curious since her shouting happened to be really loud. As I looked at her, she’s in a state where is widely opened and her index finger is pointing into air.

“What?” I irately asked.

“You!” she hurriedly spun her finger towards my face, “You caused trouble again that’s why you’re hiding like this every single day!”

Aigoo, this poor fellow. I can’t help but to annoyingly sigh in front of her face and ignore her crazy thoughts. I rushed back to my journey to my dearest classroom. When I was about to open the door into the building we’re supposed to enter, I saw an extremely familiar face which caused me to hastily walk away from the scene.

Su Hee grabbed my arm and pulled me back, “Ugh hello? We’re almost late? Don’t’ tell me you’re going somewhere again.”

“You go ahead,” I calmly said, “I forgot to get the books I need at the library.”

She raised an eyebrow right after I finished my sentence and said, “Um, I’m quite sure the library’s to the other way.”

I was about to retort, making another excuse that I’ll first drop by the cafeteria to grab some drinks, but after seeing the man in suit going out the doorway I immediately stopped myself.

Our eyes have met. He stopped moving, and I did the same thing. There’s a strange feeling inside me, extremely inexplicable.

Su Hee let go of my hand immediately after realizing who is standing before us, the vice president of the School.

My dad.

“A pleasant day to you sir.” She greeted.

Since it has been more than few seconds since I started not talking, Su Hee elbowed me telling me to greet the person before us. She thought I didn’t know that the he is the vice president of the school because I just transferred here recently and I was never oriented who’s who and what’s what in this school (well, probably except all the bullying and all).

This person before me is one of the main reasons why I’ve been acting like a weirdo these past few days; walking through isolated areas and all. I learned from a random school person that he is already back here in Korea after a long stay in Japan. I was trying to avoid him (and others). Together with my mom, some of my relatives and of course my grandparents, they’ve been there because of business purposes. What else could they do there? I can’t imagine them going together in a vacation, never. All I know is that what’s in everyone’s mind, when it comes to their family, it’s all about business, nothing else.

“Ya, what are you doing?! Greet Mr. Choi, now!” She whispered exasperatedly.

“Su Hee” a voice interrupted, just imagine how thankful I am.

Everyone looked towards the door where my “dad” just got out from. There came Soo Hyuk and Jaerin, heading towards our direction. They both stopped after seeing who’s standing in between us and greeted my “dad”.

“Professor Song is looking for you, she said something about the term papers for this weekend.” Jaerin said in a hushed tone as Soo Hyuk did his turn to greet the vice president.

I’m not sure what Su Hee said but I heard something  like “” or “” or “” and “” together in one sentence (foul words sound the same to me, so it does not matter) before disappearing from our sights towards the insides of the building in one blink.

“I’ll follow her.” Jaerin said and bowed his head towards the vice president, “Have  a nice day, Sir.”

With a smile, he replied “You too.” Those were his first words since we’ve been like this since a-moment ago.

“Have a nice day, sir.” Soo Hyuk said marking his departure from the scene as well.

I didn’t know why but my hand involuntarily grabbed his arm, “Let’s go together.” I said, my voice was a little trembling.

He’s been ignoring me the whole week, I’m pretty sure that’s still because of the incident last time; about me bringing trouble to him when I was unwell or because of the issue of me being a brat, I’m not sure what but probably it’s one among those two, or most possible, both.

I felt his body getting firm because of my sudden grabbing. He looked at me once, remained like that for many seconds, and then to the vice president, “We’ll take our leave too, sir.” He said tagging me along with his stride.

I never let go of his arm until we were four to six steps away. If only the man we left did not grab my other arm, I would have probably let go of Soo Hyuk’s with my own will. This caused me to clutch my hand, which is on his arm, tighter which eventually brought him into surprise.

“We’ll just have a little talk, Soo Hyuk.” I heard him said. I did not dare to look at his expression right now. I feel scared; scared that I might give in with his talking thing when I see how his expression looks like.

Again, the giant nutshell looked at me, but this time with questioning eyes. He’s probably confused right now since the vice president is acting like we know each other very well.

I tried my best to get away from my dad’s grip but Soo Hyuk grabbed it first, taking it away from his hand and held it.

“I’m sorry, sir. But we’re running late for our first class. I hope you understand.” He said with a slight smile, “Maybe next time.”

He forcedly turned me around and pulled me towards the staircase to the next floor. When we reached the second floor, he let go of my arm and went ahead of me, back to ignoring me once again.

If only he knows how much help he’s given me today.