The Calm before the Storm

You left me; Not the other way around

 

About a week passed after Melinda found out she is pregnant with Jinki’s baby. It had rained most of the day and she was afraid to go outside fearing she’ll slip on a puddle and fall. Today is Tuesday, which is the day that Jinki would come over to her house and spend time with her.

 

Her parents were very into the whole “High Society” background and were always away on some extravagant trip; they weren’t around most of the time, which left Melinda alone by herself in a very large mansion similar to the ones in movies, except it looked more like the White House.

 

Today is Tuesday, which is the day that Jinki would come over to her house and spend time with her. Tuesdays are the days that Jinki would have the day off from school and work and would spend time with her. Plus, Tuesdays are important to their relationship. They were both born on Tuesdays, they met on a Tuesday, and their first anniversary was on a Tuesday.

 

She is currently pacing around in her room and thinking to herself how she would tell him. Will he want this baby? She thought to herself, would he still want me? She knew that Jinki wouldn’t want a baby so early and without marriage as well. What would his parents think? They already don’t approve of her because she isn’t Korean. She had already told her parents who said that either she and Jinki raise it or they will cut her off and disown her. Her main worry, though, was whether or not Jinki really loves her enough to stay with her and their child.

 

He had told her numerous times that he loves her and she has also told him she loves him. They’ve known each other since kindergarten when Jinki first moved to California with his parents. All the kids in their class had that he couldn’t speak English until he cried. She was the only one who stood up for him and taught him English; he in return taught her Korean. They’ve been inseparable ever since. Around middle school, Jinki admitted that he had feelings that weren’t only friendship and she too had the same feelings. They’ve been best friends for most of their lives and it was weird at first for them but they eventually got used to it and their mutual like for one another bloomed into love like a budding rose.

 

Never once have they doubted each other. There have only been times on whether or not they would stick by each other. For example, the time when Jinki had accidentally called her ‘stupid’ in Korean. He apologized for it, of course, but she still had some questions whether or not he was being sincere because he was snickering a little when he apologized.

 

She laid on her bed with the light baby blue covers unmade and her pillows fluffed then stared up at the light pink ceiling. She smiled to herself noting the irony that her favorite colors are the colors that are usually used for babies. It made her laugh to herself.

 

“Babe, what are you doing?” She looked to her doorway to see Jinki standing there with an eyebrow raised. She quickly sat up and patted a spot next to her. He walked over to her, kissed her lips lightly, and then sat down. He smirked at her saying, “You still didn’t answer my question.”

 

She rolled her eyes. “I was just thinking to myself, is that wrong?” She questioned him with a teasing smile.

 

He faked a look of thought. “Uhm, yeah.” He smirked again, “especially since you’ve been losing it lately.”

 

She kept smiling. “Not true.” Well, he sort of is right. She has been acting weird lately because she’s been trying to hide the fact she’s pregnant from everyone in school. “I’ve just been tired lately.”

 

This time he smiled warmly at her. “You need to sleep more.” He said as he pulled her into him and she sat on his lap. He knew how much she loved him holding her as she knows how he loved how she cuddles with him at night. “So… what’s the big news you need to tell me?”

 

Her body froze a little. It was now time to tell him that she’s pregnant. “Lin?” He said her nickname softly in her ear when she tensed even more. She turned her head to look at him then got off his lap and the bed and instead stood in front of him. “What’s going on?” He started to worry. What is the big news that she has for me? He thought, don’t tell me something bad is happening. . .

 

She grabbed his hand and placed it on her stomach. “I’m pregnant.”

 

His first thought was: .