Asking his Parents

You left me; Not the other way around

As usual on Monday nights, Mel would prepare a small dinner with the Lee’s chef, Kim Jae. Jae is an old woman that had been working for the Lee’s since Jinki was very young. She had graying black hair, a very skinny body, but despite the appearance of her hair, she was wrinkle free and looked still very young, especially when she only stood at 5’0, which made Melinda tall although she is only 5’5.

 

“So, when do you think they’ll arrive?” Jae asked Mel in a gentle tone, despite the heavy Korean accent and her really grumpy appearance. They had been cooking for well over four hours that afternoon and it was nearly eight pm, making the Lee’s very late for dinner. Not that Jae really minded them being late; she just didn’t want the food they worked so hard to cook to go to waste.

 

Mel smiled brightly at her as she leaned on the kitchen counter. She sneaked a glance towards Rose who was just playing with her Ariel doll. Her daughter didn’t really care for Barbie dolls, for which Mel was grateful for because she hated that blonde. Rose was very found of her doll, though; to her, it is her best friend because Jinki had bought that before she was born, hoping the baby was a girl. He never gave it to her directly; her grandmother gave it to her when she was old enough. “I’m sure the plane was delayed,” she said in a relax tone, “besides, I think they’d want more time with Jinki.” She said softly, almost in a sad tone.

 

At his name, Jae’s body went rigid as she was getting a few apples for her and Mel to snack on out of the fridge. After a still moment, she closed the fridge door harshly and turned towards Mel with a shocked expression. “What do you mean ‘Jinki’,” the old woman acquired, “What does them going to Korea have to do with him?”

 

Mel sighed. Jae didn’t even know that Jinki was still alive, let alone his parents knew where he was and never told the both of them, or even Rose! “He’s some kind of singer in Korea,” she said with a longing smile, “his dream came true. He’s really famous and really good too.”

 

Jae frowned, placed the apples down on the counter, and then wrapped her arms around Mel in a tight hug as Mel did the same to her. “Jakiya, I’m sorry.” She said in a motherly tone. In truth, Jae saw Melinda as one would see as a daughter. Jae was in love with a man who had gotten her pregnant and left her; she later suffered a miscarriage. If her baby had lived, she would be the same age as Mel is right now.

 

Mel pulled away, with a tearless smile and said: “I’m alright, actually.” She lied smoothly, but she was pretty sure that Jae caught it, but she didn’t. “Besides, he has a new girlfriend.”

 

Jae’s eyes widened then narrowed in anger. “What?!” She screeched, “That boy left you pregnant, your daughter with no father, and he decided to become famous AND he has a new girlfriend?” If anyone ever had to experience his or her worst fear, Mel would know exactly how that person would feel; Jae is very scary when she’s mad. Jae then proceeded to speak in fluent Korean and assumed she was cursing, because she had heard the only Korean word she knew, which is Pabo, being used.

 

She looked to her daughter, who wasn’t even paying attention to them; she was still too busy with the doll. Mel turned back to Jae and said, “Jae,” she called to her, “Jae,” she tried again. It was usually so she said: “JAE!” from the tip of her lungs.

 

She automatically stopped and just stared at Mel who was now huffing after yelling so loud. “Mommy, what’s wrong?” She turned her head to meet her eyes with her daughter’s.

 

She shot her a smile and said, “It’s nothing, honey.”

 

Rose frowned. “But, you yelled.” Rose knew her mother never yelled; she was just too calm and mellow for that.

 

Mel shook her head. “Rosie, it’s okay. But, can you please play in your room for a little while?” She said gently, “Dinner will be ready soon, but we’re still waiting for Grandma and Grandpa.” Rose nodded then carried her doll up the stairs to her room. As soon as the sound of her footsteps faded, Mel turned back to Jae.

 

“How can you not be upset over this?” Jae said with a slight whine, “You love him.”

Mel nodded. “Well, if I truly love him, then I wouldn’t be upset that he moved on.” Her heart panged painfully as she continued, “besides, I’m more upset with the fact his parents knew where he is and never told me.”

 

Jae nodded and hugged her again, but this time Mel didn’t return the hug. “I’m sure Mister and Missus Lee had their reasons.” Mel understood that and nodded, “but you do have a bit of a right to know.” To which Mel agreed with too.

 

It wasn’t too long after when Jinki’s parents finally came home. Dinner was already served and eaten, with minimal small talk. Jae had tucked Rose in for bed, leaving Mel and Mr. and Mrs. Lee alone.

 

“Well, would you like to try the Soju we brought back?” Mrs. Lee asked Mel. Mel hadn’t really drink liquor in a long time; mainly because of Rose. Although, she still has a high alcohol tolerance and a small shot wouldn’t do any harm. She nodded and when Mrs. Lee poured her a glass, she thanked her.

 

Mrs. Lee proceeded to pour her and Mr. Lee a couple of shots too. Mel took a deep breath then said: “Why didn’t you just tell me?”

 

Mr. Lee looked at her with a confused look, “What do you mean?”

 

She took another breath. “I know that Jinki is really a singer named Onew now in Korea.” There was a pregnant silence as she continued, “I also know about Luna.”

 

Mrs. Lee sighed softly and looked at Mel with a conflicted expression. “We just couldn’t tell you.” She tried to say, but Mel glared at her, yet she still continued. “You would have just ended up hurt.”

 

“Oh, so, how I feel now is what you were afraid of?” Mel said a little loudly. “How long did you know? The whole time?” Mel accused.

 

Mr. Lee shook his head. “Of course not,” he replied calmly, “we only found out a few weeks ago because Sun-young’s parents called us and told us.” He frowned softly. Although he was the very one who tried to push Jinki and Sun-young to be together in the past, he now realized that it was wrong. Jinki loved Mel and Mel gave them their only grandchild; he grew to love Mel as the daughter he never had as well.

 

Mel shook her head and just looked down, her feelings were starting to overwhelm her and she felt dizzy. It was just too much for her right now.

 

“Sweetie, we would have told you before if we knew from the beginning.” Mrs. Lee pleaded, “We wouldn’t have let you and Rose hurt for so long if-“

 

“But you still never told me.” Mel replied bluntly.

 

“Because we were still hurt too and we knew that you would be even more upset!” Mrs. Lee cried. “He’s our son.”

 

Mel immediately felt guilty. Just because he’s their son, it doesn’t mean that it was their fault he left her. They had taken her in when her own parents had disowned her. Sure, they still gave her money for her and Rose’s living even though Mel already has a job, but Mr. and Mrs. Lee stood with her and Rose.

 

“I’m sorry,” she said sincerely. “I was just really shocked, that’s all.” She sighed. “I shouldn’t have said that.”

 

Mr. Lee placed his hand over his and smiled gently at her. “It’s okay. Anyone would have down the same thing.” Mel returned his smile with one of her own.

 

“Does…” she hesitated, “does he know about Rose?”

 

Mrs. Lee frowned and shook her head. “I tried to tell him once,” her voice drifted a bit. “But when I tried to tell him, he said when he left, he left his past behind.”

 

Mel nodded and said goodnight to them and ripped her hand away from Mr. Lee’s and ran up to her room. Mr. and Mrs. Lee called after her, but she just ignored them and slammed her door closed. Before tears could overcome her, she jumped onto her bed and just laid down facing the wall. After a few minutes, she started to lose herself to the peaceful darkness that was sleep, but her heart was not at rest and all she could think of before she slept was a simple thought.

 

What Jinki had meant about leaving his ‘past’ behind, was that he had purposely left not only Melinda behind, but also their daughter.