The Present

You left me; Not the other way around

It has been about five years since that happened, but Melinda remembered that moment very well. Jinki had stayed with her during the whole pregnancy, except for the day that their child was born. The baby was a girl, whom Mel named Rosemarie Page-Lee. She had her mother's thick brown, nearly blonde curls and porcelain skin, but her eyes were something else. They were almost exactly copies as her mother's except they were a deep chocolate brown, like her father's. 

Melinda doesn't know what had happened to Jinki. All she knew was that he had disappeared off of the face of the planet. He hadn’t called her at all since their daughter was born, if he even knew he had a daughter and she is indeed alive. His family still lived here, but whenever Mel visited them with baby Rose, they wouldn’t even talk about Jinki. After about two years of asking them, she gave up and just assumed that Jinki had ran off right when she needed him the most; right when Rose needed both of them.

Even though Jinki wasn’t around for her or her daughter, that didn’t stop her from letting his parents get to know their only grandchild. Her own parents had disowned her and had kicked her out when they found out she was pregnant. Jinki asked his parents if Mel and their child could stay with them and surprisingly, they were both okay with it. They were a little disappointed in both of them for getting pregnant before marriage, but his parents put aside their belief of Asians only being with Asians, because of their grandchild and because Mel proved to them that as long as their son was happy, they were happy.

She is glad that his parents have finally come around to accept her, heck, she is practically their daughter. But, that made her miss him even more. She wished that she could see him, one more time.

One day, her wish came true. She was at her friend’s dorm and this friend of hers, named Taka, loves K-pop. Taka is a blonde, green-eyed, Japanese guy. He is very easy on the eyes and very much close to Mel ever since Jinki was away. Don’t be fooled, though. Although many women try to pick him up, they always fail. Maybe it was because he always put them down, but also maybe because Taka is a hundred percent pure gay guy. Mel still wonders why the gay guys are always hot, not that she ever saw him as more than her friend, but she still wondered WHY.

Anyway, she was sleeping over at his dorm for the weekend, as usual because Jinki’s parents always went off to Korea. She never did wonder why, but figured it was to visit family and she never bothered to ask why they always left on the weekend, anyway. She figured if it was important, they would tell her.

“Dude, why are we watching this?” She joined as some awards show came on. She is currently sitting on the ground cross-legged with Taka while Rose just sat on her mother’s lap, just paying attention to the T.V.

Taka rolled his eyes. “Because it’s Sunday night AND MuCore is playing!” She rolled her eyes this time. “Oh, come on, Mel,” he whined, “Why can’t you just get into k-pop? You’ll be glad you did!”

Taka has been trying to get her to like K-pop for YEARS! Ever since he found his favorite boy band, SHINee, he had been obsessed with some guy named Jonghyun and even talks about them non-stop. Which is kind of why they’re watching this right now; SHINee is apparently making their comeback stage or whatever and Taka just couldn’t miss it.

She sighed heavily. “Yeah, seeing what? Just a bunch of people in weird clothing and most likely lip-synching? No thanks.” She snorted.

Rose looked up at her mom and said: “Mommy, don’t hurt Uncle Tako’s feelings.” Taka nodded in agreement. Mel just smiled and nodded.

They all turned their attention back to the T.V. and at almost the very end, Taka screamed and Mel covered her daughter’s ears. She knew what this meant; SHINee is now performing. Mel never saw what SHINee looked like, except for Jonghyun. All she knew was that they a Korean boy group with five members and Taka loved them.

When Mel opened her eyes after closing them due to Taka’s loud shriek, her eyes widened as she noticed that one of the members… No, wait. It couldn’t be, She thought. She noticed that the first member who sang, looks EXACTLY like Jinki!

It can’t be him, she thought to herself. There’s no way it’s him. And to be truthful, she really doubts it’s him. His hair if different, it’s longer and brown, he’s wearing make-up(something he would never do), and the fact he is in Korea! No way he would have ran off to there! But, it started to make sense. His parents always going to Korea every weekend might have something to do with this, but she still doubts it.

Taka, noticing his best friend kept on looking at the T.V. said: “His name is Onew.” He smiled, finally glad that his friend might actually have a biased, “He’s the leader and the oldest.”

“How old is he?” She said monotone.

“He’ll be 21 in December.”

Her heart pumped hard in her chest. “No way.”

Taka gave her a weird look and said, “Huh?”

She shook her head. “It’s just that he looks a lot like Jinki…” She mumbled softly.

Taka’s eyes grew large. “That is Onew’s real name.” He cleared his throat, “Lee Jinki, actually.”

Mel looked at him with identical eyes. “You mean, that…” She looked back at the T.V. “Taka, he’s-“

“Rose’s father!” They both whispered/yelled as Mel covered Rose’s ears. Mel never told Rose who is father, in fear that if she met him, he would reject her. But, Rose knew that her father is Korean, therefore making her half Korean.

Taka and Mel turned back to the T.V. and Mel couldn’t help but smile softly. Jinki’s dream did come true. He finally became a singer, but the only thing that made her sad was that he left her behind to do it, but it’s okay. Perhaps now that she knows, she can ask his parents if next weekend, she and Rose could come with them.

The performance soon ended and just as the show ended, a girl with dark long hair ran from backstage to Jinki and hugged him tightly. Mel turned to Taka and Taka gave her a sad look: “She’s f(x)’s Luna,” he explained and said something else that Mel heard just as Luna kissed Jinki passionately live. What he said was: “She is his girlfriend.”

After that, Mel seemed to be in a trance. Taka gently tucked Rose into bed for her and then went back to sit down with Mel. What felt like hours, but was actually only 45 minutes, Mel finally spoke.

“I was prepared for a new girl; what I didn’t expect was her.”

Unfortunately, Mel knew exactly who Luna is.  


Sorry it took so long! .__. I got really busy this past year and honestly, I kind of forgot about this story.. ^^; Also, for those of you who saw the first half of this chapter, I'm sorry. I kind of accidentally posted it without finishing... It's finished, though! And, I WILL complete this story then my other one. 

Stay Tune and Beautiful!