Do you wanna build a Snowman?

You left me; Not the other way around

“Why hasn’t Mommy come down, yet?” Rose asked Jae as she cooked Lunch the following day. She was concerned that Melinda hadn’t come down yet, if she was even awake that is. At first, she thought her mother was just sleeping in, which is what she usually does on Tuesdays because she doesn’t have any classes at school, but her mother never misses breakfast. Mel had the appetite of ten hungry men and when she is hungry, she won’t stop until she’s wiped out the whole pot. The Lee’s and Jae don’t mind, but Rose did at times because she inherited her mother’s appetite. Mel never ate her daughter’s food, though; she shared with her.

 

“Well . . .” Jae dragged her voice on as she stirred the Lamb stew she had prepared for lunch for everyone to eat, especially Mel since she had a feeling she had confronted Mr. and Mrs. Lee about their estranged son, not sure what she can say to her. She ended up saying: “Maybe Mommy is just really tired. She was up a little late with Grandma and Grandpa.”

 

Rose nodded ecstatically. “Well, as long as Mommy isn’t sick.” She frowned, “I don’t like it when she’s sick.”

“Why?” Jae inquired.

 

“Because then I won’t get any hugs!” Rose exclaimed rather dramatically as she spread her arms above her head as well.

 

The cook just chuckled. “Well, your grandparents and I could hug you.”

 

Rose pouted. “But, it isn’t the same. I want MOMMY’s hugs.” She emphasized. “Mommy’s hugs make me feel better when I’m sad or feeling sick.” She nodded, agreeing with herself.

 

Jae just shook her head with a smile. Some times, that girl is just as cute as her father had been when he was younger. Thinking about all the hijinks he had gotten himself into, she would remember while his parents scolded him fiercely, she would just smile and laugh at him; because it was just too cute.

 

“Well, do you hug Mommy when she’s sick?” Rose’s face twisted into a slight “I need to poop face” as she thought about it. She nodded quickly. “Well, why don’t you hug her now?”

 

Rose’s frowned deepened. “Because what if Mommy isn’t awake?”

 

“Well, go wake her up with a hug, dear.”

 

Rose nodded and jumped down from the high stool that she was on. She ran up the stairs to her mother’s room and gently knocked on the door. As she ran down to the end of the hall where her mom’s room is, she paused at the front of the door. She raised her little fist and knocked on the door three times. Just then, she had an idea.

 

She knocked again, laced the fingers of her two hands together and sang: “Do you wanna build a snowman? Come on let’s go out and play.” Inside the door, Mel had just woken up after the third knock and smiled as her daughter sang out ‘Do you wanna build a Snowman’. What can she say? Her daughter loves Princess Anna from Frozen; she watched the movie three times. “I never see you anymore, come out the door, let’s go and play!”

 

Mel got out of her bed, wearing her dark blue Hollister shirt and her pink long pajama bottoms. She opened the door and looked down at her smiling little girl. She sat down cross-legged in front of her and hugged her tight as the little girl giggled and hugged her tightly.

 

Rose looked up at her Mom and said, “Mommy, let’s go eat now! Jae is making your favorite!”

 

Mel smiled and nodded. Her smile faltered a little, but she kept a small one on. “Sweetie,” she began softly, “You know Mommy loves you, right?”

 

Rose nodded enthusiastically with a smile. “Of course, Mommy,” she giggled, “I get to love you even twice as much because I only have my mommy!” She didn’t catch it, but Mel smiled sadly with a small nod.

 

Mel kissed her daughter’s cheek and blew a raspberry on her cheek, which caused Rose to squeal. “Mommy!” She giggled. “Ewwwwww.” Mel then started making wacky faces at her and Rose did the same to her.

 

From downstairs, Jae just continued to stir the stew as the mother and daughter bonded upstairs. Jae smiled too, with a heavy heart, as she thought about what Rose had said.

 

Rose is quite aware that her father won’t be in her life.