Chapter 7

Because...

Eunji’s POV: Dream

I ran down the hallway in Sunggyu’s house. He rarely locks the door so I just let myself in. When I got to his room I knocked lightly on his door. When he didn't answer I pushed it open. All the lights were on and Sunggyu was kneeling down on the floor with his head buried in the sheets of the bed that wasn’t made up.

‘poor Gyu,’ I said. I pushed the hair back from his face and kissed his cheek. He smiled a little in his sleep. I picked up the blanket from the bed and covered him with it, then got in the bed myself and just stared at him. When he sleeps, he is so peaceful and beautiful. The look of his face was better than any lullaby. I just kept staring and pretty soon I was asleep myself…

When I woke up he was gone. I cursed at myself for falling asleep. I looked around the room and noticed that he wasn’t there. And then I heard a boisterous laugh come from down the hall. I got up and ran out into the livingroom.

‘Gyu!’ I said jumping on his lap. He caught me and laughed some more. He was watching his favorite variety show so I had to wait my turn for his attention. But this day I had something important to say.

‘Gyu~’ I whined. ‘I have something to tell you~’ he sshhed me. ‘Gyu,’

‘Gyu,’

‘Gyu,’  [END DREAM]

“…gyu,”

“…gyu,”

“Sunggyu…”

“SUNGGYU!” I jumped awake. I looked around to see that it was nighttime. I rubbed my eyes and tried to get them adjusted.

“What do you want?” I asked Woohyun and Hoya who were standing in my room. I sat up to look at them. I still had on my pants from the funeral guess I forgot to change them.

“Man, when are you coming back to school? There’s talk of expelling you,” Hoya said. I looked at him in disbelief.

“What are you talking about?”

“Sunggyu look at yourself. You’ve been wasting away since Eunji’s funeral. That was last Friday and today is Tuesday afternoon. What’s going on?” Woohyun clarified for me.

“,” I said grabbing my phone and checking the time. It was 6:30 pm Tuesday. I put my head in my hands. “I don’t know. I just had this dream,” I started.

“I didn’t realize that I’ve been asleep this long. Actually I don’t think I’ve been sleeping much at all really. But I had this dream well, this memory about… E-eunji, I had fallen asleep one day after work and she had let herself in. I was asleep on the bed and she had fell asleep watching my face and when I woke up she had fallen asleep too,” I looked to them. They were looking at me intently.

“When she woke up I was watching TV in the living room so she came and sat with me, telling me that she had something to say. She never got the chance to say it and even in the dream she never said it,” it was quiet for a long time.

“Hey, I don’t think that… you should let yourself get so worked up that you stress like this, man,” Woohyun said.

“I know. I know. It was probably nothing. That she just wanted to call my name a million times just so she could say ‘hi’ or something. But I just feel like there was a lot more to Eunji that nobody knew. Not me. Not Sungjong. Not anybody, and that maybe she was going to tell me that day,” I hit the bed violently. “I’m so stupid!”

Woohyun and Hoya came over and sat on the bed. They patted my shoulders. I was getting kind of annoyed that everyone was patting my shoulders lately.

“I get how this can be a huge stress on you. But you can’t let it keep you from living,” Hoya finally said.

“Skipping school sleeping for days on end, its not how Eunji would’ve wanted them. She would want you to finish school, bro,” Woohyun finished for him.

“I know that she d-died young, you know? But winter break is around the corner and then school’s over. Finish for Eunji, hm?” they got up and left. I stood up and ran my fingers through my hair. I missed her too much and everything reminded me of her. How was I going to make it through the rest of my life?