Unnerving Pact

It's an Accident

 

In the first blinks, all she saw was white, slowly blurring and clearing. She was sure she wasn’t in the hospital. The place was too familiar for her to be it. Inside the neat room, she recognized two people with her. Baekhyun, who was leaning his back against the wall, and Gayoon, sitting on a stool beside the bed. They didn’t notice her wake up, they were too busy scolding each other.

 

“Are you taking care of my bestfriend?! I will punch you if I know you’re not, mark my word!”

 

“Of course! I—“ his sentence was cut by Nari.

 

“Where are we?” still weak with her voice. Gayoon quickly turned to her. By hearing her voice, he pushed his back on the wall to go closer but stopped himself and backed-off.

 

“Clinic. The school nurse said you fainted because of over fatigue. Tell me, is this guy abusing you?” she grumbled. I want to say yes but no, it isn’t that way,Nari thought. She sat up and shook her head.

 

“I told you so.” Baekhyun joined in.

 

“Nari, don’t be afraid to tell the truth, I can handle him myself.”

 

“No, really.” She insisted. I was the one stressing myself, she had parted her lips to say it but it was in her gratefulness that no voice came out, by thinking of him too much, she continued in her mind.

 

“Okay. Don’t come to school tomorrow. The teachers understood. See you at the graduation ceremony then.” Gayoon poked Nari’s shoulder and switched her gaze to Baekhyun. “Do you remember what the nurse had told you?”

 

“Which of them?” he casually asked.

 

“This brag boy, don’t forget to accompany her to the obstetrician.” Nari looked at them dumbfoundedly.

 

 

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

After changing their clothes, the two found themselves waiting outside the obstetrician’s office. Unfading smile was present at Nari’s face while sitting beside Baekhyun who was getting uneasy at the place. Nari was happy. She knew it. Because it was her first time coming to the office with the father of her baby. Several minutes ran and they were already inside.

 

“So, you are the father?” Baekhyun felt more uneasy with the doctor’s question, but still managed to nod. Doctor Lee checked the baby using the machine. “There’s no complication with your pregnancy. Fatigue is anormal case in your stage. Your baby’s heartbeat is strong, the organs are fully developed. It’s a boy. And by the end of your sixth month of pregnancy, fingernails and toenails are fully formed.” Nari’s smile didn’t go away from her lips, Baekhyun found himself smiling too. He was relieved and happy. He’s going to have a baby boy. “Just keep being healthy. And visit here. In your ninth month, you can see your baby sleep, his thumb and even hiccup.” There was real happiness inside them. Feelings of first time parents. How would they react when the baby is out, if they’re already glad by just seeing his movements at the machine now? “Bye, don’t stress yourself too much, Nari.” The doctor waved for the last time as the two walked off.

 

When they arrived at the house, Nari went straight to her room. She quickly glanced at the door when someone unexpectedly followed her. She was about to stand from sitting on her bed but stopped when Baekhyun sat beside her. The next scenes were so like a dream to her. He put his arm around Nari’s shoulder. They haven’t been so close to each other like that. she could feel her heart beating, sign of nervousness.

 

“I saved you a while ago,” he started. His voice was beautiful to hear. “And I even accompanied you to the hospital. Did those make you happy?” Nari looked surprised, but nodded after digesting his question. She was too conscious with his hand around her. “I made you happy all in all. So, I’m thinking that you owe me a favor.”

 

“Favor? What favor?” she asked.

 

“I will marry you,” he leaned closer, “but, let me see my girlfriend. Is that a fine agreement?”

 

But that’s adultery,Nari aimed to say but she’s ironically thankful that remained stubborn. Then she forced her head to a nod.

 

 

 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

She knew it. He wouldn’t come to the point that he would marry her willingly. Of course there would always be an exchange for everything. It wouldn’t be completely in his will. Last night she agreed with him, there was nothing to do with it, as she thought. She let her future husband to see his girlfriend whenever he wanted to. In short, she let Baekhyun to have a mistress.

 

Before going off to school alone, Baekhyun brought Nari to a spare room in their house. The last time she went over to see the room, it was empty.

 

Until now.

 

As what she’s seeing at the moment, the room was filled with baby stuffs. They weren’t a complete set though, but good enough as a start.

 

“Did you buy all of these?” Nari asked in her positive bewilderment.

 

“Hmm.” He hummed and nodded. “I thought of buying those since we already know the gender of our baby.” He his lips.

 

Of our baby,Nari echoed in her mind. It was her first time hearing it from him. Her heart skipped a beat. “Thank you, Baekhyun.” She had bitten her tongue to avoid herself from blushing but the redness had just fully spilled on her face.

 

Baekhyun grinned. “I’m going off now.”

 

“Oh, okay. Take care.” He darted outside the room, he was about to close the door only when Nari talked to herself. “Baby, do you see all of these? Daddy bought these for you. You love him? I love daddy too.” Then he found himself smiling again.

 

 

 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

 

After showing her their baby’s room, Nari visited it a lot everyday. She spent her rest days by fixing the room with Hyunsoo’s help. She couldn’t wait to hug her child. But the things came to approach her by stage. The other day ago, she accepted her diploma, indicating her fulfillment in highschool. And now, she’ll accept Baekhyun as her lawful husband. Mi preferred to make the wedding a traditional one and she kept on wiggling her fingers through the skirt of her hanbok in excitement. In every event, time-delay has been a usual thing, but there’s something wrong. Baekhyun should be there at the point of time. She spun around the place, expecting a trace of him. No, maybe he’s just being occupied by sudden needs. He’ll be here any minute. Nari calmed herself.

 

“Do you think he’ll come? You know Seungyeon, she wouldn’t let him go.” She heard on of the guests said. She didn’t want it to affect her but the words rand painfully in her ears. Nari ce again and saw Mi with a tired and worried look. What’s happening? Nari, calm. He promised he’ll marry you. She stepped forward but ended up dangling on a steel bar. The steel was too smooth that her hand just brushed on it. Her body lost its balance and landed on the floor. Because of the hard impact, it caused her to bleed. She started crying when she noticed stains of blood on her skirt. The next thing she knew, someone was carrying her out. It was Kai.