If Symptoms Persist, Consult the Father

It's an Accident

 

When Baekhyun reached his house, he saw his friends in the living room. He flunked himself on one of the couch and spoke up.

 

“Good thing you’re all here.” He crossed his legs and rested his cheek on his hand. “Are you all tripping on me?!” his forehead wrinkled together with his brows.

 

“Baekhyun, calm down. When you went in the room, that was the time when Taesung told us that Seungyeon left because her mother’s in the hospital. And he also said that your girlfriend told him to offer the room to someone else instead. When Taesung stormed to the table to warn you, you already left. And when I checked the room, you’re already riding the wrong girl.” Suho narrated calmly and laughed. Baekhyun threw a pillow towards him but he covered his face with his hands.

 

“You dumb , you should’ve stopped me at least!” the whole living room was filled in with his voice but it was okay, it was his house anyway.

 

“Let go of it, man. It’s a man nature. At least, we all now tasted a girl. How is it?” Chanyeol spoke up. A pillow was thrown towards them again.

 

“Don’t bear with me, you punks.” Baekhyun retorted.

 

“Don’t worry, Seungyeon won’t know about this.” Kai assured, but he couldn’t avoid himself on laughing. Baekhyun scowled and rested his back on his seat.

 

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

 

 

3 months later

 

Nari’s everyday life went back to normal. Even though it took her a month to completely overcome her depression. Sometimes she would cross-path with Baekhyun but she would avoid getting attention from him and his friends in the school. And within those three months that passed, she hasn’t told the truth to her mother yet. It would be better that way, she informed herself positively.

 

“Nari, you’re getting fat. Look at your cheeks, they look like this.” Gayoon blew inside . Nari chuckled and slapped the other’s arm lightly.

 

“I’m just eating well. I’m having a good appetite these past few weeks.” She said and touched her stomach.

“This is better than being thin.”

 

“Good things it’s winter. Our uniforms have blazers. You can cover up your bellies.” Gayoon stuck her tongue out and laughed.

 

“It’s not as bad as bellies!”

 

Even in her work as a crew in their ramen house, her co-workers noticed she’s gaining weight. She would always say she loves eating and that she has just realized the importance of eating.

 

One midnight, she got up from bed because her legs felt swollen, so she decided to walk around the house. She went to the kitchen and got surprised to see her mother there.

 

“Why are you still awake, mom?” she asked.

 

“I’ve just finished cleaning the whole house.” She answered. Nari’s mom is working in their ramen house business all day until night and yet is still working for some chores in their house.

 

“Mom, don’t stress yourself too much. You’ll have a lot of wrinkles, you’ll surely regret it.” She joked and opened the door of the fridge. Her mom laughed.

 

“And you? Why are you still awake? You have school, remember?”

 

“I’m craving for strawberry milk.” She said and pushed the fridge’s door close with a strawberry milk on her hand. She sat beside her mom and dug the straw through her drink.

 

“You’re craving for a lot of foods. But sometimes you’ll just throw up. Are you pregnant?” she jokingly said.

 

“Mom?!” they laughed.

 

“I’m just kidding. Maybe you’re throwing up because you’re eating a lot of foods in different varieties. I suggest, go to the doctor for a check-up. I’m going in. Goodnight.” She tapped her daughter’s shoulder and moved in to her room.

 

The next day, Nari woke up unintentionally. She felt something going up from her stomach to . She dashed to the sink and started vomiting. After washing, she gazed around. She knew she was alone. Her mother was already in the ramen house. She went to the bathroom and stared at herself at the mirror. Her hands started to brush on her tummy. Then she thought of something, What if I’m really pregnant? She asked herself.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

 

Usually, Nari would go straight to their store after school, but this time, it’s different. She ran to the bathroom of their house and got something out from her bag. It was a pregnancy test kit. She sighed and followed the steps written on the back of the package. Her hands started to shake. She felt the intensity of the earthquake in her body as she stared on the double line on the white thing he was holding. She wanted to die on that place. She reached for her phone and dialled her bestfriend’s number.

 

“Gayoon, meet me at the hospital now.” She didn’t let Gayoon speak and hung up.

 

After 20 minutes of waiting infront of the hospital, Gayoon showed up.

 

“What took you so long?” Nari asked in embarrassment.

 

“Mom was piling me with a lot of house chores. Why did you suddenly call me? You should be working right now, right?” she asked.

 

“I excused myself from work. Mom allowed me. Gayoon, I have to tell you something.”

 

“What?” she raised an eyeberow in confusion.

 

“I’m pregnant. And the father, you already know who.” She had spoken seriously.

 

“Oh… my God.” She mouthed. After her astonishment, she dragged Nari inside the hospital. The nurse brought them infront of the ob-gyne’s office.

 

“Just wait for your turn.” The nurse said and went inside. Some pregnant women switched their gazes on Nari. She got curious and realized she was still wearing her uniform. She face palmed herself.

 

“Great. Now, they’re thinking of me as a and a rebel school girl who lost her teenage period because of an early motherhood.” She whispered.

 

“What?” Gayoon didn’t hear it clearly. She didn’t answer. The door opened and a pregnant woman walked out of it slowly. Her husband assisted her because she was having a hard time walking for the reason that her legs were swelling. She gulped. The nurse called her name but she barely heard it. Then at the end of the corridor, she saw some nurses pushing an infirmary bed with a pregnant woman on it to the delivery room. She gulped again. She couldn’t imagine herself like that after some months. “Nari! Quit gulping and go inside.” Gayoon scolded. She nodded and walked in. the doctor got surprised to see two high school girls inside her office.

 

“Song Nari, 18 years old. A high school girl.” The doctor said as she browsed the form. Nari bowed. “I’m Doctor Lee. I’m surprised to see you. Do you mind if I ask you how did this happen?”

 

“She shrugged. “It’s an accident. The guy and I were drunk.” She was a little hesitant to say it.

 

“Tsk tsk tsk. That’s bad for such a young girl like you. But I’m glad you’re ready to bear your child. Girls of your age prefer to kill their babies through abortion.” Nari’s eyes grew bigger hearing the word abortion. After a few minutes, she was already lying down on the infirmary bed while the doctor checked her with the use of the ultra sound machine. “Do you see this part? This is your baby’s head. You’re nine weeks pregnant.”

 

Nari smiled as she looked on the screen where Doctor Lee pointed at. Gayoon also smiled.

 

“Your baby is a blessing. Take extra care of yourself and eat healthy foods. You’re not the only one eating now.” The doctor smiled. “And, talk to the father of your baby.”