nine

What is love?

 

 

Jinki ran his index finger down the page, his tongue stuck out the side of his mouth as he read quickly down the column. His new job was quiet, he never had anyone to talk to but he liked it. He liked sorting out books, even if he was still only learning where they went which was why he had the index book open. It was incredibly quiet in the small study room he was in, he figured he would be there for a while longer.

 

The books were slowly decreasing in the pile next to him, but there always seemed to more and it always took longer than he expected. The sound of a door opening made him glance up, seeing shoes and long slender legs, that was all he looked at, deciding not to stare openly at a student. He immediately returned to the book, adjusting the glasses on the end of his nose. It was only after a few moments when he noticed at the top of his book he could see shoes, and legs in front of him that he started to look up, gulping when he saw who was standing there.

 

“Jinki-hyung,” Minho sounded surprised to see him, the way his eyes were opened wide, “Why are you here?” He asked with a faint smile, “I’m just surprised, um how are you?” Jinki gulped, feeling so awkward, he hated this kind of conversation, and it felt like Minho was just trying to make small talk to be polite. “Oh, is this your new job?” Minho sounded excited.

 

“I’m fine.” Jinki nodded his head, “don’t mind me, I’ll be quiet I promise, and yes this is my new job.” He added trying to get the other boy to leave him alone. He could feel his heart racing, his palms growing sweaty as he realised that it was only the two of them shut in this small study room. When Minho stepped forward, his expression serious, somehow Jinki felt terrified, he was not sure why, but he found it hard to say calm when they were alone. Completely alone, he had all these strange urges, and desires popping into his brain. Jinki knew it was insane, but Minho was slightly sweaty, in a shorts and a t-shirt, looking so damn fine.

 

“Hyung,” He tried to breathe normally, tried not to breathe too loudly as Minho stepped closer, pulling a chair out and sitting opposite Jinki. “Do you think you could help me, I’m trying to find a book?” Minho chewed on his lip, “Sorry to ask but yeah, the librarian sent me up here to find someone to ask. I never expected to find you here.”

 

“Sure,” Jinki felt giddy, as he shut the book, standing up on slightly shaky feet, “Hhm, what book did you want to find?” He dug his fingers into the top of the desk to hold himself steady as Minho smiled so warmly that Jinki felt dazzled and even more dizzy. He was aware of everything as Minho stood up, Jinki suddenly felt depressed. He had this sense that he would never get over Minho, no matter how hard he tried, he just wished that for once, Minho could like him back.

 

That in that private room, Minho would push him back against the wall and just kiss him. At this moment in time, that would be enough. That would be perfect, Jinki thought if that could happen he would die happily, as pathetic as it sounded. He swallowed when Minho stepped around the desk, so that Jinki was between the wall and Minho, he felt as if he was sweating a lot, suddenly scared Minho was going to do that exactly.

 

“Um, I’ve got this,” Minho held out a scrap of paper, letting Jinki read it slowly. He nodded his head, “Do you think you can help me find it?” Minho asked looking so hopeful that Jinki knew he could never refuse Minho in a thousand years. He nodded his head, feeling so shy and scared, but the smile Minho gave him, was better than winning the lottery.

 

“Okay,” Jinki reached for the paper, accidentally brushing his fingers against Minho’s, he gulped jerking his hand back as if he had been burnt. “Um, let me see,” feeling embarrassed Jinki looked down rereading the scrap of paper, he had absolutely no idea where the book was but he did not want to admit that to Minho. He glanced up, trying not to jump back when he realised that Minho was leaning in close. Jinki’s eyes kept gazing right at his perfect lips and he gulped softly.

 

Jinki finally moved away from Minho, he looked up on the computer to see where the book was, and moments later he was holding the book in his hands. Jinki felt disappointed when he realised that meant Minho was going to go soon. Even if it was deceitful he wished he had taken his sweet time to find the book, so that he would spend more time alone with Minho.

 

“Thanks hyung,” Minho grinned softly, Jinki expected him to walk out but instead he pulled out a chair next to where Jinki had been working. “I might stay here for a while, if that’s okay with you?” Minho cocked his head to one side, looking serious for a few seconds, “It’s nice and peaceful up here.” Jinki breathed in slowly, moving the chair out with slow measured movements as if doing everything slowly would make him feel more relaxed.

 

“I-I just work here.” Jinki mumbled, “I mean, no.” He tried to stop stammering and stuttering like an idiot, he looked away ignoring the way Minho blinked across at him looking so confused. “I mean, I’m just working here today,” He finally managed to get the words out, “So um it’s not like you need to ask me for permission.” He shrugged, shutting the book firmly, so it made a resounding sound.

 

Moments later Jinki realised that he had effectively killed all the conversation by slamming the book shut. He felt stupid, as he glanced across at Minho over the top of his book. He felt even more ridiculous when Minho caught him peeking over the top, he quickly lowered his gaze, hiding his face in the fragrant pages of the book. Jinki loved the simple scent of the books, he found the slight smell made him feel relaxed and calm which was one of the reasons why he loved books. Not only did they tell him wondrous stories and events, but the smell made him feel calmer and always brightened his spirit.

 

Figuring he had efficiently killed the possibility of Minho talking to him, he concentrated thoroughly on the books he had to sort. Jinki was so engrossed in the books that he did not even notice when Minho put down his own book, coming to stand beside him. Jinki focussed on the task at hand, that even when Minho handed the books to him, he was unaware that Minho (or anyone) was doing that. He slid his index finger down the list, memorising the numbers and names and slowly sorting through the books. Piling them into neat little piles so he would know where exactly they belonged.

 

A strange rumbling sound made Jinki lift his head up in surprise, he had forgotten where he was, what he was doing. He glanced around trying to identify the sound, frowning when he could not but then his gaze fell on Minho, making him jump slightly. Jinki’s eyes were wide and blinking rapidly as he stared up at Minho, until he remembered where he was and what he was doing. Then he felt silly again, he smiled sheepishly up at Minho, wiping his palms on his jeans carefully.

 

“What was that noise?” Jinki finally whispered, “I heard a rumbling-” he paused, eyes widening as he heard it again but louder, “rumbling noise? Oh god! Is that an earthquake coming?” Jinki practically shouted, “Quick! Get under the doorframe!” He started to panic slightly getting up, and trying to push a silent Minho towards the door, until the taller boy tapped him on the shoulder, shaking his arm to get his attention.

 

“Jinki-hyung, um hyung, that was my stomach,” Minho avoided Jinki’s gaze, which Jinki was thankful for because he felt utterly mortified and humiliated. Jinki ran his fingers through his hair, his eyes dropping down to the worn carpet before flicking over to the window, trying to look at anything but Minho. “I’m sorry, I guess I’m hungry.”

 

“Oh.” Jinki his dry lips, realising that he was actually feeling kind of thirsty and a little hungry too. But he was too shy to suggest they go and eat something together. “Oh I see.” He mumbled feeling completely lame for saying something so uninspired and boring, but he could not think of anything else to say. “Right I see. Oops my bad, thinking it was an earthquake!”

 

“Um, hey do you want to get a bite to eat with me?”

 

Jinki’s jaw opened in shock, he stared up at Minho, he never expected that. He fervently hoped he would say something like that, but never dreamt that in a million years he would actually. Jinki felt his cheeks flush a little as Minho stared expectantly at him, shyly he nodded his head, he could think of nothing better than going to get something to eat with Minho. He could feel his heart bursting in his chest, his insides exploding with happiness.

 

“Yeah, um okay. I’m kind of thirsty and hungry.” Jinki replied, figuring he should talk and stop smiling like a complete retard. He was unaware of how his smile made Minho melt completely, or how Minho thought his smile was the brightest thing in the universe, brighter than the sun and all the stars combined, lighting up Minho’s life completely.

 

“Good.” Minho grinned, “I’m famished, you were working so hard, I didn’t have the heart to disturb you and it felt wrong to just walk out and leave you.” Minho nodded his head, as they started to walk towards the door, “I know a great little café near here.” Jinki groaned hearing that, thinking that Minho was talking about the café where he worked, but Minho wiggled his eyebrows, “No not there,” he smirked, “Another place.”

 

“Oh,” Jinki pouted looking offended, “Oh I see, you prefer this café over Jjong’s?” He made a faint ‘tsk’ sound in the back of his throat, “I see how it is, pfft I’ll make sure you don’t get special treatment again,” Jinki mumbled, wanting to groan moments later, when he realised he was not to meant to mention that they gave Minho special treatment. He actually felt hurt that Minho liked another café more and it made him wonder why he came so often if he preferred another café.

 

Jinki decided he didn’t mind when they stepped into the café, it was tiny, small and deserted. They were the only people there, which made Jinki feel even more special. Minho didn’t order his usual latte, surprising Jinki, instead he ordered hot tea, and ramen. Jinki realised it was quite basic and cheap, but sitting opposite Minho, over a bowl of delicious steaming ramen and tea, he realised he had not felt so happy for such a long time.

 

“The uh coffee,” Minho winked, “is not as good here as it is in my favourite café.” He nodded his head looking shy for a few seconds, “I think you might um happen to know that café, maybe you do hyung,” Minho smirked softly, as Jinki just blinked. “The best latte, is made by this barista, who tends to be very shy, he gets quite flustered and does stuff like burn his fingers, or blush like mad. But he makes the most delicious lattes ever, and his smile would melt the polar caps in minutes because it is so bright.”

 

Jinki paused, noodles held up to his mouth, feeling all this jealousy surging up inside him as he heard Minho describe this amazing barista. His appetite was gone completely, he let his noodles slip with a soft splash back into the soup, he placed his chopsticks down next to the bowl. He hated this barista with a passion, hated him for making such perfect coffee. He hated him most of all because Minho praised him so much and seemed so fond of him.

 

 

 

“YOU DID WHAT?” Kibum shrieked when Jinki told him calmly about his day. Kibum grabbed hold of his shoulders, shaking him repeatedly, “SPILL! HYUNG YOU HAVE TO TELL ME EVERYTHING!” He shouted until Jinki thought he was going to be permanently deaf. Kibum continued to shake him, his hands and nails digging into Jinki’s arms until he winced with pain.

 

“Uh, did you tell Minho where I was working?” Jinki frowned across at Kibum, avoiding his questions. “How did he know I was working there?” He mused aloud, looking surprised and confused, “It seems like too much of a coincidence to me. Kibum, why did you have to tell him?”

 

“Who says I did tell him?” Kibum glared slightly, “Why would I do that, hyung? I guess it was just a coincidence, what section of the library were you in?” Kibum asked a moment later, calming down slightly when he realised that the more he freaked out, the more Jinki was likely to ignore his questions.

 

“Um,” Jinki paused, gazing up at the ceiling as he thought to himself, his eyes widened, cheeks blushing, “Ohh.” Jinki pressed his palm to face, muttering, “Oh I am an idiot. I was in one of the sports rooms, with all the books on athletics.” He paled, “No wonder he came in, ahh I am so stupid!” Jinki pouted, still hiding behind his palms, he felt so silly he had not even thought about it until Kibum asked.

 

“Aww, hyung it’s okay.” Kibum patted his shoulder, “Who cares about that? Just tell me what happened!” Kibum’s eyes were bright and stared at Jinki intensely, he looked like a dog trying to dig up a buried bone, not going to give up until he found what he wanted. “You should something about a date?” Kibum prodded, jabbing Jinki in the side, “spill now, hyung! Especially if you want to eat chicken ever again, then you better spill all now!”

 

“Fine,” Jinki blushed, fidgeting with his fingers, “it’s nothing that special anyways,” he sighed heavily, “its kind of depressing anyways. I found out what Minho loves the coffee this barista makes,” he pouted, “when we went to eat together he told me about this amazing barista. Minho obviously has a lot of respect and affection for him, and I just feel so jealous.” He avoided his roommates gaze, “I know I’m pathetic.”

 

Kibum dragged the whole story out of Jinki, even getting him to describe in detail the barista Minho had talked about. He did not say anything but Kibum was pretty damn sure that Minho was talking about Jinki. He did not want to get his hopes up, so he kept silent, but it made perfect sense to him. Kibum hugged his friend tightly, he could see that Jinki was still so wound up with Minho, even though he was trying so hard to get over him, he was still pretty much all he thought about.

 

 

 

Jinki nervously tapped his fingers against the glass, he was sitting alone at the table waiting for Changsun-hyung to arrive. He looked around and again, his shoulders going tense when he saw the older boy walking towards him with a big grin.

 

“Jinki-ya, I missed you!” Changsun pulled Jinki into a tight hug, “I’m so exhausted, my insomnia came back.” He sighed as he slumped down next to Jinki. “Sorry, I didn’t want to talk about that actually, but it is true too.” He nodded his head, and Jinki stared worriedly at him.

 

“Oh hyung, but with your dance practice you need to get sleep, is there anything I can do?” He asked, cocking his head to one side, his expression and tone filled with worry about the other. He had no idea that Changsun suffered from insomnia and it just made him feel so terrible and guilty as he thought about how he was using the other boy to try and forget Minho. “Hyung, I have to um, tell you something.” Jinki decided he had to come clean, he could not keep on doing this.

 

“Can I speak first?” Changsun asked, holding out a hand to stop Jinki from speaking, “I’m fine, I’ll get plenty of sleep. You know I really like you Jinki-ya, and for a while I hoped we could go out.” Changsun smiled softly, “But I realised that even though I was sure I liked you a lot, I realised two things. One was that you liked someone else,” He paused, expression going serious as Jinki blushed guiltily, “it’s fine really Jinki-ya, it was not that obvious.” Changsun reached for Jinki’s hand and squeezed it lightly, “the second thing I realised was that I actually liked being friends with you more than anything else.”

 

“I know that sounds weird, but I realised that we had more fun hanging out as friends.” He shrugged, “So don’t feel bad? Was some of that what you wanted to tell me?” He laughed when Jinki immediately began to nod his head, his cheeks bright red. “Okay good, I also have a proposition for you.” Changsun grinned, leaning in close to Jinki, placing his arm around his shoulder as he began to whisper into his ear.

 

“I’m not sure,” Jinki mumbled a few moments later, “Can I think about it?”

 

“Of course,” Changsun grinned, “After all I’ve still got another couple of weeks away from Seoul, so you have those weeks to think about it.”  He hugged Jinki lightly, “So don’t stress just take your time to decide okay,” He patted Jinki’s back lightly, “whatever you decide, will be fine for me, so just do what is best for you okay? I better go,” Changsun exhaled loudly, looking so tired that Jinki felt really worried about him.

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Jinki bit down into his lip, his voice quavering with worry, “hyung, make sure you try to sleep okay?” He added as he walked back to the bus, and the older boy waved, smirking as he climbed onto the bus. In a matter seconds Changsun was gone, leaving Jinki with his question unanswered, he made his way slowly back towards the bus stop he needed on the opposite of the road.

 

sorry :/ was meant to post last night! D: but uh couldn't post! :( Also if you're interested^^ or have a dreamwidth account, a friend and I made a Onew/Minho dreamwidth fic comm: http://bimil.dreamwidth.org so please join \o/ and post if you like Onew/Minho :)