14

What is love?

I think you guys will like this chapter ;D maybe? or maybe not! :OOO

 

 

Jinki had always been an intelligent student, he studied but never that hard because he found  that he remembered things easily after hearing them once. But in his determination to avoid seeing and thinking about Minho, he threw himself into his studies like he never had before. He spent hours working on his assignments, looking up extra books and references in the library, his grades soaring even more than they had been.

 

“Choi Minho” became dirty words in Jinki’s world, they were words that Kibum avoided like the plague. Kibum didn’t like seeing Jinki study so much, and only concentrate on work, studying and have no fun, but he figured it was necessary at the moment to get over Minho. Weeks drifted by, they slowly turned into months, and the trees were stripped bare of their pretty autumn leaves, leaving bare skeletal branches.

 

Kibum tried to coax Jinki into taking a week off in the holidays and go away with him, but Jinki wanted to get an assignment done. Kibum could see that Jinki had lost weight, because he was working so hard, but he was also okay, he wasn’t ready to start liking anyone or dating, but Kibum thought he was getting there. Although he had no real idea of if he was totally over Minho or not, and out of respect for Jinki, he never brought Taemin over, unless he knew Jinki was out.

 

The days grew shorter, the weather turning icy cold, and they had the first snow of the year. Kibum dragged Jinki out to play in the snow, laughing as they threw snowballs at each other, faces going red in the cold. It was the first time for a month or two that Kibum had heard the rich sound of Jinki’s laugh, that he had seen him have fun. It made something ache in his chest, realising he had to do something. He was prepared to let Jinki wallow in his studies for a month or two but this had gone on for far too long.

 

*

 

Minho shivered as he gazed out of his bedroom window, looking at the delicate snowflakes falling down, it was certainly cold. He felt glad he didn’t have to go to class today, but instead he could stay rugged up at home. Taemin said he would come and visit him later if he had time, Minho knew he was seeing Kibum, but he never mentioned it.

 

After the incident at the movies, Minho had never seen Jinki again, no matter how hard he had looked for him. He stopped working at the café, so Minho stopped going because it hurt to go there and remember Jinki, and know that he would never like him. He sighed as he stood on tiptoes to reach for a shoe box on top of bookcase, he pulled it down and opened it, inside it was full of envelopes.

 

Minho swallowed as he pulled the last one out, his handwriting neatly across the top, still crisp and new looking. It brought back so many memories, as if everything had happened the day before. He could still remember how he had gone to talk to a teacher about some athletics meet, and on the way there he heard the secretary talking to a student, he had peeped in and seen Jinki. Minho had thought nothing of it, until he left, hearing Jinki mumble something about 471, and how he really wondered who it was.

 

Minho had felt so stunned, he had stood there, shocked beyond words when he realised that the person who he was sending the letters to was Jinki. He figured something had seemed familiar about the letters, and now he realised it was obvious it was the same person who wrote the articles in the school’s paper but he had never realised it until then. Minho hadn’t said anything, he kept writing, feeling happy that it was Jinki, but then one day he decided to send a letter and tell him how he felt.

 

The school had seemed quiet on that wintry day too, the air was icy cold, and Minho could remember shivering with nerves and the cold as he left that last letter. The one that revealed how he felt, he had felt nervous and giddy and so hopeful. He waited and waited, he kept thinking that Jinki would come up to him or say something to him, but he never did. Two weeks later, finally Minho went to the office, and the secretary handed his letter back to him unopened, saying that no one ever came to collect it.

 

Minho’s heart had hurt so badly, he was so upset and he wondered if Jinki had somehow known it was him. He felt sick, but Minho figured at least Jinki hadn’t read it and just ignored it, this way he could pretend that Jinki never knew it was him, that he still had a glimmer of hope. He exhaled and put down that one letter, picking up one of the later ones Jinki had sent, they still made him feel happy. They had been simple letters that they exchanged, but something about them just inspired Minho and made him feel happy. Rereading them always made him feel better in general, but lately they hadn’t worked and Minho wondered if it because things were so messed up between. He wished he had Jinki’s phone number that he could somehow contact him and just talk to him, although he guessed that was pointless if Jinki was disgusted by Minho’s feelings for him.

 

Minho was starting to feel down about it when he heard a knock on the door. He sighed and got up, walking across the room because he didn’t want to make Taemin wait out in the cold. He plastered a smile across his face, opening the door quickly. Minho was surprised to see that Taemin was not alone, he had to take a second look to see that it was Kibum.

 

*

 

Jinki smiled as he saw his friends coming towards him, he felt a bit out of place but seeing people he knew made him feel more at ease. Especially since Kibum wasn’t able to come for the pre Christmas drinks. Jinki felt so strange to be standing around sipping a drink, surrounded by all these beautifully dressed people, they all dazzled him with their brightly coloured clothes. He had spent so much time just studying, working and concentrating on his grades, and now he realised he missed occasions like this. He started to walk over towards the window to meet friends, not even looking around to see who else was around.

 

“Hey Jinki-ssi, I haven’t seen you around for ages,” Eun Hye smiled across at him, Jinki smiled warmly back at her, “I hope you’ve been okay,” she fretted slightly, reaching out to touch his arm lightly. Jinki let her embrace him lightly, it felt good to feel the touch of another person again.

 

“Hey,” Changsun just mumbled from around a mouthful of food, “How are you, you haven’t come to see me for ages.” He pouted looking offended, “I thought I’d upset you or something but Kibum told me you were holed up studying.” He shook his head slowly, “Could you even get any better grades?”

 

“Hey guys, yeah sorry I had a lot on my mind, I was trying to resolve things and just concentrate on what is important.” Jinki nodded his head, “Yeah I could get better grades and I am now.”

 

Jinki continued to talk to them for the next while, smiling when Changsun introduced him to another of his friends, a friendly looking guy called Jang Intae, something about him reminded Jinki of dogs, especially dalmatians, he wasn’t sure why but something about him did. He felt happier than he had for weeks, Minho was not even on his mind, as he stood there chatting. After awhile everyone left but Eun Hye, and she grabbed his wrist, turning and leaning in close to him.

 

“Hey, what happened with that guy,” she whispered softly, “I can’t remember his name,” she frowned slightly, “the one you liked?” She blinked her beautiful eyes at him, making Jinki feel dazzled and he wondered what she meant but then he remembered. “Jinki-ya, are you okay, you’re spacing out again.”

 

“I’m okay, nothing happened, he didn’t like me.” Jinki pouted as he talked, unconsciously leaning in closer to her, unaware that they were being observed. “That was part of the reason I’ve been studying so hard, to try and get over him.” Jinki swallowed and before he could get another word out, she hugged him, soft arms wrapping around his torso warmly.

 

“Oh I am sorry,” she murmured moments later, “Hey listen, I’m going to have to go now, but we should catch up later okay.”  Jinki just nodded his head, smiling as she left him alone in the crowd. He sighed and slowly made his way over to the table, loading a plate up with chicken, he didn’t even bother to look up.

 

“Ha, you really like chicken eh?”

 

“Yeah, I do.” Jinki turned to see Jang Intae standing there, grinning mischievously at him, and he smiled warmly back at him before nodding his head. “I love chicken,” Jinki knew he was weird but it was true, “I can never get enough of it, haha it’s always been my favourite.” Jinki added as he loaded his plate high with chicken.

 

“Ah I’m more of a red meat person myself,” Intae shrugged, “but chicken is tasty too.”

 

Jinki looked up, freezing as he saw Minho standing directly opposite him, a serious expression across his face. He just blinked his eyes and stared at Jinki, before he bowed his head slightly. Jinki could feel his heart hammering in his chest, his eyes anxiously studied Minho’s face, he looked pale, and unhappy, which made Jinki hurt, he just wanted Minho to be happy.

 

“Hi,” Minho finally broke the silence, “I didn’t expect to see you here.” Minho shrugged his shoulders, one hand resting in the pocket of his jeans.

 

“Your girlfriend is cute,” he smiled almost bitterly, and Jinki stared in surprise.

 

“No, um she’s not my girlfriend,” he quickly corrected Minho, “I’m er single.” Jinki smiled awkwardly, “You know, one of those pathetic people that no one ever likes,” he cracked a stupid grin, suddenly feeling like he had had too much to drink. “You know, one of those geeky morons destined to always be alone!” He waved his fork around and laughed softly, “Not like you,” he whispered, “not like you.”

 

“Jinki-hyung,” Minho frowned, walking around the table to come and stand next to Jinki, “Hyung, what do you mean by that?”

 

“Does it matter,” Jinki shrugged his smile slipping, “I get it you know, I get it.” He said louder, not realising that some people were starting to stare at them, “I get that you’ll never like me, but somehow I can’t stop thinking about you.” He beamed up at Minho, “Isn’t that pathetic, doesn’t it make you just want to laugh?” Jinki shrugged and then he dumped his plate down, Minho stood frozen like a statue next to him.

 

“But whatever, I’m going to get over you.” Jinki mumbled, his words coming out more slurred as he walked towards the door. He got a metre away from the door, before he collapsed in a drunken heap on the floor, stumbling up to his feet only to crash down again and hit his head against a wooden cabinet, hard enough to draw blood. Jinki felt everything fading away, but he smiled when Minho’s face filled his vision.

 

 

I'm kind of scared to post the next chapter D: fgkjhdkf