4.

Fire and Flames

“How is he?” Xiumin asked when Yixing entered the living room.

“He’s fine,” Yixing answered as he sat down on the couch, next to Jongdae. “But there’s something..”

Jongdae’s head shot up. “What, did I hurt him? Did I use too much electricity? I knew I shouldn’t have—“

“No, it’s not that,” Yixing shook his head. “It’s not electricity. In fact it’s not an element. It isn’t from any of us.”

“What do you mean?” Luhan asked. He dropped his Rubik’s cube and stared at Yixing, slightly confused.

“I..” Yixing looked down. “I don’t know. I can’t explain what it is.”

Suho walked in with a glass of water in his hand. “Hyung, can you add ice to this for me?”

Xiumin rubbed his temples. “Suho, how many times do I have to tell you that there’s a refrigerator in this house?”

“But that’ll take me more time and energy,” Suho pouted.

“Fine,” Xiumin sighed.

“HYUNG!” Suho shouted. “I told you to put ice, not freeze my entire drink!”

“I told you to use the refrigerator.”

“Hmph,” Suho pouted and marched away with his frozen glass of water—or ice.

Luhan raised an eyebrow. “Oh…kay?” He cleared his throat and faced Yixing again. “Now, where were we?”

“I’m saying I don’t know what it is. All I know is that it’s dark.” Yixing sighed.

“Maybe I can help?” Zitao who was quietly standing on one corner finally spoke up. Everyone turned their heads towards him, anticipating what he would say next. But Xiumin shook his head as soon as Zitao spoke up.

“No, it’s too dangerous. You saw what he did to Sehun, didn’t you?”

“He won’t be able to hurt me, I promise.” Zitao assured.

“But—“

“No, let him.” Luhan stood up. “Let’s go, Tao.” He walked towards the younger one. “I’ll be outside the room just in case you need help.”

Yixing stood up too. “Me too,”

“No, Yixing,” Luhan turned towards him. “You’ve done so much already. You’re tired and you need rest.”

“No, I’m okay—“ Yixing shook his head.

Chen put his hand on Yixing’s shoulder. “He’s right, hyung. You’re tired. We all know how much energy you lose everytime you heal. You should go rest.”

“But—“

“I promise to call you if anything happens.” Chen brought up right hand.

Yixing sighed. “Okay. But you promise to call me if needed, understand?”

Chen nodded. With that, Yixing walked towards his bedroom and fell asleep as soon as his back made contact with the soft cushion.


“Are you sure you don’t want us to go with you?” Xiumin asked, obviously worried.

ZItao chuckled. “I’ll be fine, hyung.” He gripped the doorknob and slowly twisted it. He peeked inside. Chanyeol was still asleep. Zitao nodded and closed the door. The others were then left with no choice but to wait outside.

Zitao took cautious steps as he approached Chanyeol’s bed. He took a deep breath as soon as he was beside his hyung.

“H-hyung.” He called out.

Chanyeol didn’t move.

“Chanyeol hyung,” Zitao whispered.

Chanyeol’s eyelids suddenly rolled back, surprising Zitao. Chanyeol immediately sat up and looked around, until he found Zitao. “What are you doing here? No, what am I doing here?” There wasn’t anger or roughness in his voice. He was back to being the old Chanyeol—the Chanyeol they all knew.

Zitao was amazed at how Yixing was able to ‘heal’ Chanyeol. This isn’t the usual healing he does—he didn’t just fix any broken bones or healed a wound—he made all the hatred and rage in Chanyeol disappear.

But Zitao knew that this was only temporary.

“Hyung, I need you to come with me,” Zitao approached Chanyeol.

“Huh?” Chanyeol looked up, confused. “Where?”

“To your past,” Zitao answered.

Everyone knew how Zitao could control time. He could stop it, he could slow everything down, but the thing he loved doing the most was going back into one’s past—and that was what was intending to do to find out what the ‘darkness’ inside Chanyeol was.

He was sure he could find everything out, but fifty years? Fifty years was a long time. If he wanted to find something out, he had to do it now. He didn’t have much time left. A few more hours and Chanyeol will go back to who he was before.

“Let’s go?” Zitao held out his hand and Chanyeol blinked a few more times before finally grabbing a hold of Zitao’s hand.

Zitao smiled and suddenly, everything around them started to change. The sun was going down, the moon was rising up, this was happening continuously that Chanyeol was starting to get confused.

When Zitao finally let go, he looked outside the window. “Chanyeol, hyung,” He called out. “Look.”

Chanyeol stood up and looked outside the window. He saw Kris—and himself?

Kris and Chanyeol were practicing together. Zitao decided that he wanted to show Chanyeol first who he was before, before slowly going to who he was now.

Zitao started to walk out of Chanyeol’s bedroom. Chanyeol stared at him in confusion. “H-hey, wait for me.”

Chanyeol followed him. “Luhan hyung?” Chanyeol gasped when Luhan walked straight through him.

“They can’t see us,” Zitao explained. “No one can see us. We’re like ghosts.”

Chanyeol was still confused but he trailed behind Zitao. He stared at Suho who was frustrated because everytime he tried to drink something from his glass, Xiumin would turn it into ice. Chanyeol slowly stared to smile.

Zitao and Chanyeol continued to walk, this time, passing by Baekhyun who was standing outside the bathroom. “BAEKHYUN HYUNG!! TURN THE DAMN LIGHTS ON WILL YOU?!” Someone shouted from inside, and if Chanyeol recognized the voice correctly, that would be Kyungsoo. Baekhyun laughed out loud before running away, and in a few minutes, Kyungsoo—who was covered with soap bubbles and foam opened the door, fuming with anger.

Chanyeol couldn’t help it anymore and he laughed out loud.

Zitao watched with a smile. “Hyung,” He called out.

Chanyeol followed him again. They went outside the house—to where Kris and the ‘old’ Chanyeol was.

Zitao stood beside Chanyeol as the both of them watched. Kris and Chanyeol were sparring partners. They taught each other techniques, sometimes one would attack while the other one would block, sometimes Chanyeol would whine at how ‘unfair’ Kris was, and Kris would just laugh it off, saying “You would always be better than I am,” as he ruffled Chanyeol’s hair—and Chanyeol would immediately  lighten up upon hearing those words.


Zitao decided to move on to another period of time—to when Chanyeol started to change: to when the argument broke out, to when he decided to turn his back on everyone.