11.

Fire and Flames

Luhan kept of sniffing and wiping his tears (which he tried so hard to keep from falling) as he cleaned Yixing’s wounds.

“Maybe it’s also good that he’s unconscious,” Xiumin whispered. “At least he won’t be able to feel how painful the medicine is.”

“Yeah, but I hope he regains his consciousness soon.” Zitao bites his fingernails in worry.

Kris sighs and leans off the wall from where he had been staying the past few minutes before turning around and heading for the door. He stops, however, when Luhan shouts “Yixing!” and he hears everyone behind him panicking and saying “Yixing,” “Hyung,” and “Ge” all at the same time.

Luhan’s tears began to fall down uncontrollably when he sees Yixing’s forehead crease. “Xing? Xing-ah, can you hear ge?”

Yixing lets out a sound which Kris assumes to be something that means he can feel pain.

He takes a few deep breaths before cracking an eye open. It takes him several minutes to adjust to the environment and see all the worried faces surrounding him.

Yixing forces a smile before falling asleep again.


Baekhyun pushes the door open and finds Yixing staring up at the ceiling blankly.

“Hyung,” He calls out softly as he closes the door. “How long have you been awake?”

Yixing glances at him quickly before staring up the ceiling again. “For quite a while,” He answers. “How are you, Baekhyunnie?”

“Hyung,” Baekhyun frowns slightly. “How can you still worry about me when you’re—“

“I’m fine, Baekhyun.” Yixing smiles to try and assure the younger. “Hyung’s fine.”

Baekhyun sighs before tapping Zitao’s shoulder to wake up the younger boy. Zitao’s eyes fly open immediately before he sits up and shouts “Ge! You’re awake! Let me call Kris ge.” Zitao stands up and runs out the room.

Baekhyun shakes his head before sitting down beside Yixing. He takes the towel resting on the table beside the bed. “Baekhyun-ah..” Yixing whispers. Baekhyun wasn’t sure if it was because Yixing doesn’t have the strength, or if he was whispering on purpose. “Where is Chanyeol?” Baekhyun was squeezing the towel and stopped halfway upon hearing his hyung’s question.

The question surprises Baekhyun, and Yixing simply inhales before repeating the question. “Your Chanyeol hyung, Baekhyun-ah.. Where is he?”

“H-he..” Baekhyun starts and fiddles with his fingers, unsure of what to say.

“Baekhyun-ah,” Baekhyun straightens up and whips his head towards the direction of where the voice had come from. He finds Kris standing near the door, and is Baekhyun’s guess was right, his hyung had just woken up from sleep. “I think Joonmyun is looking for you.”

“A-ah, yeah.” Baekhyun puts the towel back and wipes his hands on his jeans before sighing and reaching out to touch Yixing’s hand. “Recover really fast, okay, hyung?” He squeezes Yixing’s hand before turning on his heel to leave.

Kris closes the door and walks towards Yixing. “How are you?”

Yixing glances at him and smiles. “Never been better.”

An awkward silence envelopes the entire room as the two of them wait for the other to start.

“Chanyeol—“

“Is still there.” Kris finishes.

Yixing’s eyes widen before he turns his head to face Kris. “He’s what?!” Yixing uses his elbows to push himself up and Kris immediately runs towards him to help.

“Xing, stop! You’re still not—“

“How could you leave him there?!” Yixing shouts. Tears are starting to form inside his eyes, and Kris was surprised with the sudden outburst of anger. “Did you not see what they have done to him?! Leaving him there could worsen—“

“Then what did you want us to do, leave you and take Chanyeol?” Kris snaps.

“As a matter of fact, yes!” Yixing shouts back. “I would rather stay there and die if it means they would stop! It’s me they want, right? They won’t need Chanyeol—or anyone else, if they have me!” Yixing covers his face with his palms and cries out loud.

Kris sighs and reluctantly hugs Yixing, careful not to touch his wounds. “I-I’m sorry,” Kris whispers, wrapping Yixing’s shaking body inside his arms. “I was confused, I didn’t know what to do—when I—when I just saw you and—“ Kris sighs again. “I’m really, really sorry.”


“Hyung,” Baekhyun says—almost pleads—as he stares at Yixing. “They said it themselves, didn’t they? You can heal yourself. Why don’t you do it? It’s hard for me to see you like this..”

Yixing smiles. “I can’t heal myself,” He repeats (for the ninth time, Baekhyun thinks). “They’re just making that up.”

Baekhyun sighs. “At least try, hyung?”

“Baekhyun-ah,” Yixing rubs his throat. “Hyung’s a little thirsty. Would you mind if I ask you to get me water?”

Worry immediately replaces Baekhyun’s frustration before he stands up. “Not at all, hyung. Just wait here. I’ll be right back.”

“Thank you,” Yixing says. And just as Baekhyun grabs the doorknob, Yixing calls his name again. Baekhyun turns around. “Thank you for always taking care of me.”

Baekhyun smiles. “It’s nothing, hyung. You’ve taken care of all of us very well.” Baekhyun closes the door and leaves.

Yixing pushes the blanket down and stares at his wounds. “Can I really heal myself..?” He whispers and closes his eyes, taking a deep breath.

 

 

Baekhyun hums a song as he pushes the door with his . “Hyung did you like your water warm or—“ He is greeted by an empty bedroom, made-up bed and open window. “..hyung?”

Baekhyun puts the tray on the table and rushes to the bathroom. “Hyung?” He looks around, and realized that he’s the only person in Yixing’s bedroom.

He decides to run to Kris, and see’s the older sleeping on his desk. “Hyung!” He shouts, and Kris’s head shoots up from the sudden shouting. “Hyung! Y-Yixing hyung is—“

Kris’s eyes immediately widen and it doesn’t take him a minute before he starts running towards Yixing’s bedroom.

Xiumin and Luhan follow, faces painted with worry and shock. “What happened? Where is he?” Luhan asks, Baekhyun, and then Kris.

“I—He asked me to get him water and when I came back he just—“ Baekhyun panicks and Xiumin his back to calm him down.

“Did they come here?” Xiumin asks, “we’re supposed to have sensed it if they came here. Unless it was Chanyeol again—“

“No,” Kris finally speaks up. “No one came here.”

All three look at Kris with confusion. “Then what?” Luhan asks.

“He..” Kris rubs his face with his hands. “He went there. By himself.”

“What?!” Xiumin, Luhan and Baekhyun shout in unison.

“But he’s wounded! He’s too weak how can he—“

“No,” Xiumin shushes Luhan. “Kris is right. Can’t you feel it? The aura around here?” Xiumin looks around the bedroom.

Luhan’s eyes widen as he shakes his head furiously. “He didn’t—he couldn’t have—“