12.

Fire and Flames

Yixing walked into a quiet alley, half-frustrated, half-disappointed. Everywhere he went, eyes followed him. That was the problem about their kind—they looked different in the eyes of normal humans; they glowed, they were beautiful.

“Who am I kidding?” He sighed as he crouched and rested his forehead on his knees. “I can’t even remember the way there. I should have asked for Jongin’s help..”

He was thinking about going back home when he heard another voice—and it’s definitely not one of his brothers. “So it’s true,” Yixing’s head snapped back up, and he scanned the area, trying to find the source of the voice. “You really are the one who heals.” Slow, heavy footsteps then followed the voice, making Yixing stand up in defense. He needed to run away now.

A tall, lean man came out of the shadows. His hands were in his pockets, and Yixing had to squint to have a better look. Yixing doesn’t remember seeing him back there, but his aura is definitely the same as the ones who took Chanyeol. “Don’t run away,” the man said, noticing how Yixing was taking cautious step backwards while the other was approaching him. “I’m here to help.”

Yixing raised an eyebrow. “Help? Who are you kidding?”

The man let out a low chuckle, and this somehow scared Yixing even more. He wasn’t made for combat. The only thing he can do is heal. He can’t fight; his brothers won’t even let him out of the house whenever they needed to deal with things.

“You’re looking for your brother, right?” The man leaned against the wall and brought out an apple from his pocket. He threw the apple several times in the air and caught it, before he decided to take a bite from it. “I can take you there. And he definitely needs your help too.”

“My help?” Yixing asked. He didn’t feel right about this. Why would Chanyeol need his help? Why would Chanyeol need to be healed?

The man took his time to chew and swallow. After which he used his sleeve to wipe his mouth. “You see, when you and your.. brothers left, Taeyceon wasn’t so happy.”

Yixing stood there, heart racing as he waited for what the stranger was going to say next. But instead of saying anything, the stranger put the apple aside and started walking towards Yixing. Yixing’s eyes widened. “What- What are you going to do?”

“Relax,” the stranger chuckled again. “I’m going to show you why Chanyeol needs your help. But unlike you, I need skin contact to use my power.”

“No.” Yixing took big steps backwards. He’s going to hurt me, Yixing thought.

“Look. If you want to help your brother, then let me show you why he needs help. I won’t hurt you, stop being an idiot. Why would I hurt you when we need you too?”

Yixing thought about this. He had a point. The stranger was the only one who could bring him to where Chanyeol was. And he really couldn’t hurt Yixing because like he said—they needed him. They needed him to heal someone for them.

The stranger quickly grabbed Yixing’s arm and soon, Yixing started seeing different images in front of him. He gasped in shock upon seeing different images of Chanyeol being beat up, burned alive and then thrown all around.

“Chanyeol!”


“Are you sure it’s here?” Baekhyun questioned Suho. “Hyung, this is a dead-end. If Yixing hyung was here, we would have found him already. He’s not here.”

Suho rolled his eyes and looked around more. “I can feel his aura. He has been here.”

“I know hyung,” Baekhyun answered. “But we need to know where he is; not where he was.”

Baekhyun was right, so Suho nodded and his heel to leave the alley. They have just been following Yixing’s aura—all ten of them have been looking for Yixing, and Baekhyun and Suho have been told to follow Yixing’s aura.

“They took him.”

Baekhyun and Suho immediately stopped on their tracks and turned their heads to look at the old beggar who was sitting in the corner. They looked at each other, eyebrows raised.

“The one who heals.”

Their eyes widened. Suho immediately ran towards the beggar and kneeled in front of her. Suho was surprised to see how the beggar’s eyes were different. Is she blind? Suho waved his hands in front of her, and she didn’t respond. He shot Baekhyun a worried glance, but even the younger was not sure of what to do.

“W-who took him?” Suho asked reluctantly.

“Them.” The beggar simply answered as she closed her eyes and rested her head on the wall. “He was alone, and one of them talked to him. Showed him how the one who summons the phoenix is in danger. It didn’t even take them a minute, and the one who heals already followed.”

Hearing this, Baekhyun quickly pulled Suho away. “Hyung, I think she’s crazy..”

The beggar laughed out loud. “That’s what they all say. No one believed me when I tell them I can see the twelve sons.”

Suho and Baekhyun’s eyes widened.

The beggar lifted a shaky finger up and pointed at Suho. “Water,” she then moved the finger towards Baekhyun who was still staring in shock. “Light.”

Suho gulped, but right now, this beggar did seem to be making sense. Blind or not, she can see them—she knows who they are. She knows where Yixing is and who took him, and she was their only hope. “Please help us. Tell us where he is.”

She shook her head. “I do not know where they brought him. They only said ‘let’s go back’.”

“Back?” Baekhyun asked, “so they’re still there?”

“You said they showed him that the.. one who summons the phoenix is in danger?” Suho asked, ignoring Baekhyun momentarily.

The beggar nodded. “He can control the mind. He touched the one who heals and showed him images of the one who summons the phoenix in pain—that he needed to be healed. But he isn’t. He’s not in danger.”

Baekhyun and Suho let out a sigh of relief.

Then the beggar smiled—her crooked teeth showing. “Not yet.”

----------

A/N: I hope none of you hate me for not being able to update in the past few monts.. :(