Telling Her My Secret

Pretending to Love

 

6AM.

Her alarm was set to 8AM.

But she woke up at 6AM.

 

Soeun hadn’t gotten enough sleep in days, and her body was responding to that. She had tossed and turned, but she just couldn’t get to sleep. She didn’t know whether it was the thought of reality that struck her, or the thought of finally realizing that she felt empty.

 

Soeun just lay in bed.

She didn’t no how long she lay in bed.

She probably didn’t even care.

Thoughts were filling her mind.  Some were about her parents; others were about life in general. But to be honest, it was all just a blur.

 

The sun was already shining through her curtains, as it reflected on her mother’s ring. Soeun looked down at it. Her mother’s ring was perfect. She once told her how she met her love of her life. Mrs. Kim would always brag about how she met him at the library on one rainy autumn day. “He was a stubborn man to say the least, but when we first met, I knew I would love him for the rest of my life.”

 

Soeun was envious.

Envious of her parent’s love for each other.

 

Love to Soeun, meant at least something. Even though Soeun wasn’t ready for that leap of faith to find the perfect person, she’d someday want that. She had read dozens of books where the main character would meet their lover through the other side of library shelves, or the other side of a fish tank, the people in books would miraculously run under each other’s umbrellas, and they would be destined for a perfect ending.  

 

Soeun rolled over to the other side of the bed, her head stuffed into the pillow. She wanted to hide under her covers. Although the sun was already in the sky, she wanted to turn the darn thing off. Darkness was now her friend.

 

It had already been eight months since the beginning of her twist of fate. Eight months of being alone.

Of course, one can’t just adjust to a life alone in eight months, not to mention getting married to someone you didn’t love in another four weeks. To be honest, right now, Soeun just needed time.

 

She needed time to slow down a bit, so she could adjust to her chaotic life. She needed time to let thinks sink in her brain permanently. Soeun needed time, not only so she could get used to the life she now had, she needed time…

 

to fall out of love.

 

Yes, Soeun had fallen in love.

But that was long ago. It wasn’t one of those love stories where the main heroine fell in love at first sight. To be quite honest, it was… tragic.

 

In books, a person could instantly fall in love.

Yet when it was the stage for them to move on… it didn’t happen in an instant.

Falling out of love didn’t just take three seconds. It took longer.

Much, much longer.

 

The tingling you felt when your heart was seconds away from beating uncontrollably was now a shot of pain that was dangling from your heart. That’s what it felt like to fall out of love. Soeun let go of her mother’s ring and flipped over as her eyes met the ceiling.

 

It took her another good half an hour to unwillingly get out of bed. Today she had to run some errands, not to mention report to Mr. Jung about what happened last night.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“As you know, your engagement party will be next week. Mrs. Lee will be announcing your engagement in two days at Junho’s birthday ball. Of course you will be present, but you’ll be keeping a low profile until the end.” Mr. Jung said as he looked down at the piles of papers on his desk. “This month, you will not be attending any meetings with the company, so you will be able to focus on your upcoming marriage.”

 

“… what about my studies?” Soeun questioned hesitantly. Mr. Jung put his pen down for a moment and looked up at Soeun. “Miss. Kim, I know your parents had allowed you to run after a career that had nothing to do with the company… but that was before the accident.” Mr. Lee said in hope that Soeun got the message.

 

“… so you want me… to leave my studies?” Soeun asked with a bitter feeling. “Miss. Kim, I know that you’ve wanted to become a teacher ever since you were younger, but right now, the company can’t afford any risks. You’re the only heiress.” Mr. Lee stated, “… please keep that in mind.”

 

Soeun closed her eyes. Deep down, she knew that this day would come. However, she didn’t imagine it to be this… heart breaking. She exhaled heavily as she opened her eyes. “I understand.”

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

 

 

 

Soeun parked her car, in the driveway. It was a horrible day once again.

She wanted to hide her sorrow in a candlelit, rose smelling bath. She threw her purse on the sofa and proceeded to her room, before the doorbell rang.

 

Soeun slumped down and sighed. What was it this time?! For god’s sake, all she wanted was some alone time. She walked over to the front door and peeked through the looking hole. To her surprise… it was Jieun.

 

Soeun opened the door slightly.

 

Jieun looked up with a slight smile. “I’m sorry for leaving you at the auction! My parents were a nag!” Jieun said as she pleaded with Soeun. Soeun looked at her irritated. Of course, she wasn’t really, but she had to at least make Jieun guilty.

 

“I bought some of your favorite pastry?” Jieun nervously said as she tried to please Soeun. Soeun looked over at the plastic bag Jieun was holding. She sniggered at the thought of her friend actually taking the initiative to buying pastries for her.

Soeun sighed. “Hurry up and come in, before I close the door on you.”

 

Jieun smiled and looked up, only to see the door wide open. She quickly scuttled in before her friend changed her mind and shut the door on her.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“So, since I left you at the auction the other night, I actually took the time to research some facts about Junho’s fiancé.” Ji-eun said with a beam.

 

“What?” Soeun hearing this made her choke on her water.

 “Yah, are you alright?” Jieun asked in concern as she reached over to pat her friend on the back.

     “I’m fine. I’m fine.”  Soeun stuttered. She looked over at Jieun, and felt her blood temperature rising.

 

“As I was saying, his ‘marriage’ turns out to be some contract to merge two company’s together.” Jieun said as she laughed at the thought of the famous ‘playboy’ being forced to marry. 

 

“Yah, Jieun-ah you should eat the food before it gets cold.” Soeun said, trying to change the subject.  “Ani. You can have it all since you always had such a big appetite.” Jieun said quickly as she tried to carry on with her conversation.

“Anyway – “

      “Do you want a drink?” Soeun asked politely

“No, don’t worry about it. I’m fine. As I was saying…. “

Soeun cursed under her breathe as she sighed.

    “…. it turns out that his fiancé – “

Soeun quickly got up and looked at Jieun cautiously. “Are you sure you’re not thirsty? You seem like you need a nice glass of water.”

“Soeun-ah! Let me finish first.”

 

Soeun reluctantly sat back down again as Jieun tried to resume her discussion. “So, as I was saying, the fiancé turns out to be…”

 

“Actually, to be honest… I’m the one that needs to get a drink. I’m a bit parched.” Soeun said as she smiled. She quickly got up and turned her back to Jieun. 

 

“Yah! Soeun! Hurry up! I want to finish what I’m saying.”

Soeun slowly took her time pouring the water into her cup. It was almost as if she was dreading to go back into the living room where Jieun was.

 

“Soeun-ah! Hurry!” her eager friend shouted all the way from the living room. Soeun frowned for a moment as she took her glass of water and walked back to Jieun.

Soeun put the glass down on the coffee table and sat down.

 

“Finally. It took you long enough to get that glass of water.” Jieun said with a smile. “Anyway… where was I?”

“You were about to say who the mystery fiancé is.” Soeun slowly mumbled, dreading the answer already.

“Ah. Right. So it turns out to be…”

  “Jieu –“

“What is it this time?” Jieun exhaled in frustration.

 

Soeun bit her lower lip.  “Look.  I’m only going to say this once. So listen carefully.” Soeun said, exaggerating the last word.

 

Jieun looked at her suspiciously. “Okay?”

 

“I, Kim. So. Eun… is… “ Soeun started, she hesitated for a moment. Would she really tell Jieun about the matter? I mean, it wasn’t entirely that important… was it?

     “No. I can’t do this.” She said as she got up and walked over to the kitchen.

“Wait. What?” Jieun followed.

 

Soeun leaned her palms on the kitchen sink and tilted her head down as she tried to think things through. It was hard enough. Now she had to break the news to her friend. Soeun turned around only to see Jieun standing at the entrance of the kitchen.

 

“Yah, Kim Soeun, are you alright?”

 

Soeun looked at her friend with sincere eyes, and walked over to her. She looked over at her face, and remembered all the memories they shared together. Just last night she had promised herself that she would tell Jieun the truth. Yet now, she was hesitating on whether she would actually keep that promise.

 

Jieun leaned closer to her friend, and felt like there was something wrong with her. Soeun was never the type to look so down and sad. In her twenty-four years of existence, Jieun had only seen Soeun cry twice.  “Kim Soeun. Seriously. What’s wrong?”

 

“Jieun-ah… what if… I told you… I….” Soeun stuttered as she started to bite the bottom of her lip.

 

“Yah… Soeun-ah… are you pregnant?” Jieun said jokingly.

“What?!” Soeun screamed as she slapped Jieun on the head. Jieun instantly fell to the ground.

 

“Yah! KIM SOEUN!” Jieun screamed.

 

Soeun shocked at her own actions, instantly bent down and helped Jieun get back up. “Oh my god. I am so sorry! I did not mean to slap you.” Soeun repeated. She wasn’t sure why she even had the guts to hit her friend. I mean, deep inside she knew that Jieun always liked to joke around, but this… what she said was totally unpredictable, not to mention crossing the line. “I’ll go get you some ice.” Soeun said as she got back up again and hurriedly walked to the fridge.

 

Jieun rubbed her head as she moved over to the sofa. With much thought, Soeun was acting strange. It was as if she was avoiding the topic about the infamous playboy.

 

Soeun hurriedly walked to the sofa in which Jieun was sitting. “I am so sorry! I seriously did not mean to do that.” Soeun said once again. She sat down beside Jieun and gave her the ice pack. Jieun held the ice on her forehead.

 

“Are you okay?” Soeun asked with concern.

Jieun leaned back on the sofa and sighed. “I’m fine. Just… tell me what’s wrong.”

Soeun looked down and bit her lower lip. It was now or never.

 

“Jieun-ah…” Soeun started, “I’m… getting… married.”

 

A/N: I know I'm a really slow updater, so thank you all for your patience. 

Notice: I might NOT be able to update for 3 - 4 weeks, as my major exams are coming up, so hopefully once those exams are over, I'll update once a week? I'm not quite sure yet... so I'm not making any promises.

Comments and constructive criticism is welcome. Thank you all for reading ^_^