Wait. What?

Pretending to Love

 

Junho sat down on the couch, as he flicked through his phone. The light jazz music in the background sounded horrible to him. It reminded him of his parents. The ones that weren’t in his life until he was sixteen, the two most important people that were supposed to be there for him, were always on ‘business trips’. How he wished that sometimes they wouldn’t have ever met him.

 

But fantasy and reality are quite different. Once he turned sixteen, he was crowned the heir of the company, one of the most important teenagers in Korea. Yet here he was, in the 2PM lounge…playing temple run on his phone. How does reality get any better?

 

“Are you planning on going clubbing again tonight?” Chansung asked as he sipped his cup of tea.

 

Junho lifted his head, to the couch right across him. “I wish.” Junho scoffed. “Apparently, ‘she’ didn’t come last night, so now I have to meet her in my own time.”

 

Chansung smiled at the thought of his friend marrying. “I pity you.” He said sarcastically.

 

“You know…” Junsu started, with his mouth full of food. “… I’d never though that out of all of us, Junho would be getting married first.” Junsu put his chopsticks down. “I mean, think about it.” Junsu pointed at Junho, “Him! That blob on the couch is getting tied down to another woman!”

 

“Yah!” Junho shouted back at Junsu, as he threw the nearest pillow, aiming for his  face. Luckily, Junsu’s reflexes caught the pillow as it was about to hit him. “Woah, bro. I was joking.” He said with the sound of laughter escaping his mouth.

 

“Joking my .” Junho uttered.

 

“Yo. I’m back!” Wooyoung yelled as he entered the lounge. He slid past Junsu and Chansing, as sat down right beside Junho.

 

“Psst. I’ve got the files.” Wooyoung whispered with a grin. Junho immediately put his phone to one side and looked at Wooyoung.

 

“Where is it?” He said with eagerness.

 

Wooyoung smirked. In all his life, he would have never thought that Junho would ask him to find information on this certain matter, or should he say ‘person’?

“Here.” He said as he took his phone out from his pocket. “Virtual files baby.”

 

Chansung and Junsu suspiciously looked at the two eager men, exchanging information about a matter they both never knew about.

 

“The files?” Chansung asked suspiciously.

“Information?” Junsu followed.

 

Junho looked at both of his other friends. Damn. Why did he forget that there were other people in the same room.  “Oh, I meant the files for the new project I’m discussing.” Junho quickly lied.

 

Chansung quickly stood up and looked at Wooyoung and Junho. “It’s a girl isn’t it?”

 

Junho quickly widened his eyes. “What?!”

“Yah, you haven’t been this tense since… since…” Chansung couldn’t say it. He knew that if he brought up Junho’s past, it would hurt not only him, but the rest of 2PM. “...nevermind. But it’s a girl isn’t it?”

 

“Aniyo!”

 

How in the world did Chansung know? I mean, he was smart and all, but Junho never suspected him to be this smart. Or was it just because he never really paid attention to him? Wait. Maybe Wooyoung told him! That bastard.

 

I mean, that bastard… with his files.

 

Wooyoung looked at Chansung and nodded in delight, as the message of Junho wanting to find out about a woman was true.

 

“What?!” Junsu said as he swallowed his food as quick as possible. “Junho is asking for a woman?!”

 

Chansung looked at Junho suspiciously. “Wait, are you trying to find out about your fiancé?” Junho looked back up at his intelligent friend and grinned. Okay, so maybe Junho was about to lie to his friends. Maybe he didn’t even want to know about his ‘fiancé’, but he did want to know about the girl he bumped into at the hospital. I mean, he wasn’t really interested in her or anything… she just seemed, well… familiar? Yeah, that was it. She just looked familiar.

 

“Y-yeah I am.”

“Oh? So she was your fiancé?” Wooyoung said surprised.

“Well… something like that.” Junho said as he had an awkward smile plastered onto his face. Wooyoung nodded as he now understood the situation better. To be honest, Wooyoung thought she was just some random chick Junho was interested in.

 

“So how did you know she was your fiancé?” Wooyoung questioned.

“Aish. Enough of the questions. Tell me about… ‘her’.” Junho said as he cringed at the last word.

“Oh. Right. Well…” Wooyoung started.

 

“Her name is Kim Soeun. Age: 24. She lived in England for a couple of years, before returning to Korea. Apparently, her mother wanted her to have a more ‘educated’ life in England. It seems as though her father owns a huge company, that has expanded to America, England, France, Australia, Egypt, the Czech Republic, Austria, Dubai, Singapore, Malaysia, China, Japan, Russ– “

 

“Okay, we get it. Move on.” Junsu said as stuck one eyebrow up, to show his was ‘bored’.

 

“Wooyoung rolled his eyes as he picked up a pillow and threw it at Junsu. “As I was saying, her father did own a multi-millionaire company for a few years, before hitting the verge of down-fall just last year.”

 

“Down-fall?” Junho replied. “Yes, down-fall. I didn’t really expand into this topic since you wanted to know more about her. But down-fall as in bankruptcy.”

 

“Well then what happened?” Junsu said.

 

Chansung got up and started pacing back and forth. “Well maybe, the answer was marriage.” Chansung replied as looked at Junho and matched the pieces together. “What… do you mean?” Junho said with curiosity. “Think about it.” Chansung replied, “The only way the company could survive was to get a helping hand, and since now days, everyone wants to be on top, who would actually help a company that was nearly in ashes?”

 

“Ah, so the only helping hand they could get was through a deal.” Wooyoung understood. Chansung smiled, “Not a deal… a proposal.”

 

“Hold on. Hold on. So she might really be my fiancé?!” Junho shouted as he widened his eyes.

 

“What? Didn’t you say she was already your –“

“I mean… Ohh! That’s why she’s my… heh… fiancé.” Junho covered up his reaction, as he rubbed his hair. He swore his intelligence was decreasing by the second.

 

“You know… it’s still kind of weird how he’s the one getting married first.” Junsu shivered at the thought.

 

 

~ ~ ~

 

Soeun felt her heart crumple up, and burn. It was him. After all this time, it was Junho. Damn, she felt so stupid. Soeun mentally slapped herself. She ought to know it was him from the very moment she saw him at the auction! Lee Junho. An arrogant, nasty, unmannered man, was her fiancé. ‘Nice one Soeun. You’ve just scored a goal.’

 

Junho bowed a second time as he came up to his mother and kissed her lightly on the cheek.

 

To be honest, he himself was quite shocked. But he wasn’t just about to give her the honor of knowing he didn’t know either. It was plain pride to him. Plus, looking at her face, he wanted to burst out laughing. Wow, the famous Kim So Eun was his fiancé. Chansung was right. Those plain old bastards were right.

 

Soeun stood up, and forced herself to politely bow.  Did it get even hotter in here? “Annyeong hashimnikka.” She uttered.  Junho smirked as he peered at her furious face.

 

“It’s a pleasure to meet you… Kim. So. Eun. sshi.” Junho said as he grinned in delight.

 

Soeun gripped the hem of her dress and widened her eyes. How in the world did he know her name? Wait. Did he know from the start? Oh, this was getting better by the minute. If it wasn’t for Mrs Lee and the waiter that was watching them closely, she would have already kicked him in the cr –

 

“You’ve met before?” Mrs Lee asked with a smile.

“No.”

“Yes.” Soeun and Junho said simultaneously. Soeun clenched her fists. “No, we actually haven’t.”

 

“Yes, we actually have.” Junho replied smirking.

 

Mrs. Lee looked at them both puzzled. Soeun exhaled as she sat down, following Mrs. Lee. For god’s sake, she felt like butter melting on a frying pan.

 

“My mistake. We actually have. Yes, we met… a couple months ago… at the hospital.” Soeun smiled at Mrs Lee before turning to face Junho who was smirking like a child. “We actually bumped into eachother.” Soeun laughed awkwardly, “It was our first and last time meeting… until, now.”

 

“Really? I could’ve sworn we met again after that.” Junho responded.

“No. I don’t think so.”

“Are you sure? Because the other night I saw someone exactly like y—“

“No. No.” Soeun shook her head. “I haven’t been out lately.”

“Oh. My mistake then.” Junho grinned.

 

Mrs. Lee saw how the two were bickering and smiled. They were getting along better than she thought.  “Shall we start ordering then?” she spoke.

 

~ ~ ~

 

As the time passed by slowly, they were all satisfied as the tastes of their meals set quickly in their stomachs.

“We will be actually having the engagement party next week, so as of tomorrow, Junho will be staying in the second mansion, whilst Soeun will be in our first, with me.”

 

“Excuse me?” Soeun said as she almost choked on her water.

“Well, I wouldn’t want you to stay alone in that big house of yours, would I?” Mrs. Lee spoke out.

 

Junho looked up at Soeun, stealing a glance. Alone? Why did she live alone?

 

“I couldn’t really.” Soeun insisted.

“No, no. It’s my pleasure. Plus, I would like my soon-to-be daughter in-law to be close by.”  She said with a smile, reaching out to Soeun’s hand that was on the table.

Soeun looked at Junho as he was eating. This is his entire fault.  

Mrs Lee, smiled once more and began to speak. “Oh my. I am terribly sorry.” Mrs Lee said as she pretended to look at her watch and got up unexpectedly, “I actually forgot that I have an appointment tonight.”

Soeun widened her eyes as she quickly followed and stood up. “What? B-but we haven’t even started eating dessert.” Soeun said as she bit the corner of her lip.

    “Oh yes, dessert. I hope we can continue this some other time, perhaps tea tomorrow in the afternoon?” she suggested. Soeun couldn’t believe what she was hearing. First of all, she finds out that Junho is her… her…. ‘you know’. Second she’s moving in with her ‘mother in-law’,  and now, his mother is ditching them?

For some stupid appointment?

And she thinks ‘tea’ can make up for it?

What kind of joke was this?!  Soeun could feel a huge lump form at the corner of . “B-b-but – “

“I am, quite sorry, but I have no other choice, I hope you have a wonderful evening with Junho.” Mrs. Lee said as she smiled at Soeun. As Mrs. Lee started to turn around and walk out, she turned her head slighty. “Oh, Soeun, how are you getting back, may I ask?” she asked.

      “Oh… I’m – “

“Junho-yah, take Soeun home tonight.”

      “What?!” Soeun and Junho said simultaneously.