The Will

Pretending to Love

 

Chapter 1: The Will

 

It had been six months. Six months of loneliness, and despair. Soeun had to reassemble herself in such a short time. Yet she had no one to lean on. Through everyone’s eyes she was living a normal life, but to herself, she was hanging by a thread. Soeun tried to be strong; she tried to overcome her obstacles, however with all the strength she put in, it became harder and harder.

 

Every Wednesday morning she would visit her mother in the hospital and bring her fresh tulips. Yet, as everyday went by, hope seemed to slip away. Countless of times, the hospital had told her, that giving up would be the best option, as the chances of her mother waking up were very slim. Everyday she knew that holding on was only going to hurt her, yet her heart couldn’t say goodbye.

 

~ ~ ~

 

Soeun woke up, as her alarm clock kept ringing.

Seven o’clock.

Nothing more than another day.  

 

It was a Sunday morning. The sun gleamed through the curtains, as she got up. Even though it looked like a beautiful morning, Soeun wanted to curl back in bed and get away from the world.

 

“Today is going to be a good day.” Soeun encouraged herself.

 

Despite that fact, that she had lessons in the afternoon, Soeun wanted to enjoy her morning by blocking her surroundings and spending time for herself.  It felt quite unusual, to take care of herself to be quite honest.

 

Soeun was always the type to look after others, as she thought of herself as nothing more than an assistant.  As a child, Soeun was given the luxuries of a wealthy father, and a loving mother.  Her childhood was most memorable, as she had the life, many wanted. Her friends adored her, and many were envious of her.

 

Yet as time went by, and people started to leave her. Soeun realized, that she was never loved by anyone. She was just a mere diamond to everyone’s eyes. The only two people, that loved her and cherished her all this time, were gone. And now? She was left alone. Deserted. Unloved.

 

~~~

 

As Soeun waited for the hot tea to cool, she sat down on the couch and curled up her feet. The sun shimmered down, through the window, as it reached over to her mother’s wedding ring. Ever since, the accident, Soeun kept a reminder of her parents, through all the hardships she had to encounter alone.

 

“Do you miss me, as much as I miss you?”

Soeun smiled at herself, as she reminisced about the past.

 

As she gently stirred the tea, as it mixed in with the sugar, she heard her phone ring.

 

Juggling her hot tea and buttered toast, Soeun quickly put her breakfast down and tried to find her phone. “Aiiiee, where did I put that phone?” Soeun cursed herself. She ran to her room, in hope that she left it there.

 

Soeun scuttled around the room, quickly, trying to locate her lost phone. “Ahh, here it is.” She said, with a sigh of relief. Soeun quickly picked up, in hope that the caller hadn’t dropped the call just yet. “Hel-“ Soeun greeted, but was interrupted by the other line.

 

“Hello? I would like to speak with Miss. Kim Soeun?”

Soeun sat on her bed. “Yes, this is she. What may I help you with?” She replied. “I’m from your father’s office. Apparently, as we were cleaning out his desk, by your orders; we found an envelope… it turned out to be his will.”

 

Soeun’s eyes widened, as she gripped her mother’s wedding ring. “Ex-excuse me?” she stuttered.

 

“If you could just, drop by his office, it would be a pleasure. Thank you for your time Miss Kim. Have a lovely day.”

 

Before she could say another word, he had hung up on her.  

Soeun put down her phone, as she tried to regain herself. ‘My father’s will?’ Soeun said to herself.

 

She paced back and forth in her small room. Thoughts and questions kept filling her mind, as she rubbed her temples.

 

Soeun looked at the time. It was thirty minutes till 10am. Without a word, Soeun grabbed her coat and purse, and ran out the door.

 

 

~~~

 

Soeun got out of her car swiftly, as she rushed along the path leading to her father’s company building. When she entered, all she could see, were people rushing in and out of elevators, piles of documents flying everywhere, and people mumbling here and there. It seemed to her, like total chaos.

 

Soeun hurriedly ran through the crowds of people, hoping no one would recognize her.

 

Aish, I can’t take the elevator.” Soeun silently thought. The only, other way to get to her father’s office without causing any commotion was to take the stairs.

 

“Well, you were planning to join the gym, sometime.” Soeun sighed.

 

~~~

 

Soeun sat down in her father’s office. It had been six long months, since she had set foot in this very room. Memories started to ease its way into her mind, as she looked around the room.

 

“Good Morning Miss. Kim.” A voice came out, making her lose her trail of thoughts. She looked up, and saw that it was Mr. Jung, her father’s secretary.

 

~~~

As hours passed, they both discussed matters about the company and will, whilst having a warm cup of coffee.

 

“Miss. Kim, there is also one very important agenda your father has left you.” Mr. Jung said, in a quite serious tone. Soeun smiled, anticipating that it would be good news.

 

“Soeun… I… your father… he wanted you to get married.”

 

Soeun’s eyes widened, as she tried to let the information sink. “Excuse me?” She hesitated. “What… do you mean?”

 

“Miss. Kim, as your father’ secretary I am obliged to tell you the things that your father has left for me. But as your dear friend, I hope you can understand.”

 

Mr. Jung sighed in hope that he wouldn’t be hurting Soeun, as he knew she was already hurt enough. Mr. Lee, always knew, that behind Soeun’s smile, she was always lonely.

 

“… Soeun, a month before your father had passed away, he had made an arrangement with another company to merge both your father’s and the other party’s organization, to make one. Yet, the other company did not want to trade, nor did they want money. They wanted to merge the company, with marriage.”

 

Soeun starred at the ground, not wanting to do anything, or go anywhere. Her face turned pale and somber.

 

“So, my marriage, was not based on love to my father, but based on a contract?”

 

“Miss. Kim, please do not misunderstand. Your father loved you very much; he would only make decisions that he thought was best for you and for your mother. Your father was a caring man. Think about your choice wisely.”

 

Soeun slumped in her seat, as her whole body felt weak, every ounce of her body felt fragile, as pieces of her, was already falling apart.

Soeun, stood up from her seat, and clenched her fist. Tears were threatening to fall, as she looked at her father’s secretary. “Mr. Jung, thank you for your time, but I must now leave.” Soeun spluttered.

 

She turned around without a word, and left.

 

~ ~ ~

 

Soeun hurried down the flight of stairs, as she ignored her surroundings. It was one thing to be strong and persuade yourself to forget. Yet it was another, do it in front inquisitive eyes, watching tears drop lifelessly to the ground. She wanted to run away from everything. When she reached her car, all she wanted to do was drive off . Soeun sat down in the driver’s seat, and slammed the door, as tears were threatening to fall. Her whole body felt like a kite, dropping lifeless to the ground.

 

Soeun needed someone. She needed support. Nothing was going right. She just, needed her mother.

 

She looked at the time. Fifteen minutes past two. The hospital was just down the road. Soeun contemplated on whether she should see her mother.

 

Despite the fact that she knew it would hurt her even more to see her mother lifeless, in a coma… her heart needed mending.

 

~ ~ ~

 

“Good Afternoon, Omma.” So eun greeted. She put the fresh tulips in a vase, which was situated near the window. “How have you been doing?” Soeun asked, as she walked over to the bed. She held her mother’s hand tightly.

 

“I went to the office today.” Soeun started, “they’ve found Appa’s will.” Wiping away the tears that threatened to escape, Soeun sniffed and stared at her mother’s wedding ring. She smiled, as she tried to hold the tears back. Soeun gripped the ring as she thought silently. Her fingers started to quiver as she held on to her mother’s hand. She was afraid. Soeun was afraid, that in spite of the will. She was to marry someone she would never love.

 

Omma, I’ve collected so much pain, I just want happiness.”  She thought silently.

 

Everything to her, felt like an illusion. She had no one to talk too, no one to lean on. The pain she was carrying felt unbearable as she stumbled upon every obstacle she faced. The tears, that once fell six months ago, were threatening to fall again.

 

Soeun rested her head on the railing. Little by little, she started to hum a song that her mother used to sing to her every night.

 

Today as well, you greet me
You look at me and smile brightly
All day, my heart is filled with only thoughts of you
What do I do then?

 

Memories started to rush through her mind. She closed her eyes, in hope all the memories, would leave. Yet she found herself heartbroken.

 

Are you dreaming the same dream as me?
Are you wandering, looking for me too?
I probably can't turn back time
Today as well, you greet me

 

“Did you want this?” Soeun asked as tears started to drop, one by one as her heart sank to the bottom of her chest. “Did you really want me to get married to a stranger?” she asked.

 

You quietly greet me
without a word, you turn around
All day, my heart is filled with only thoughts of you
What do I do then?

 

Her body felt weak and heavy as she looked at her mother’s pale face.

“If this is what you wanted,” Soeun started, “I promise, with all my heart, that I’ll make you happy.”  

 

A/N: Chapter one is finally finished ^^ 

Have you all watched the last episode of Music and Lyrics? 

P.S The song, that I have mentioned is "Greetings by J.R" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWmqYDU05lA&feature=related