Introduction

Pretending to Love

 

Introduction

 

The occasional get together with the family was a wonderful feeling. The atmosphere of the night was like a dream filled with only good thoughts. The smell of fresh pastries being made, by her mother’s own hands and her father’s sweet humming whilst fixing his contraptions was a delightful sound to hear. Happiness was filling the air, as everything appeared to be perfect.

 

Yet now, it was all a fantasy. The light flickered on and off making the room dull as moths kept flying around the light bulb. The chairs that were made out of metal were old and rusted. She could hear the unpleasant sounds of raindrops, falling slowly, as it met with the ground. Soeun was tired physically, and mentally. Everything seemed like a nightmare. Nothing was right. In less than two hours, everything went wrong. Everything kept slapping her in the face, the pain she felt was unbearable, and her mother’s scream was playing over and over again in her head.

 

“Miss Kim, if I could only have a word with you.”

 

Soeun regained consciousness and looked up to see who was calling out her name. It was the doctor. Her face turned pale and weak, as she saw his expression. Her heart dropped, as she embraced herself for the worse.

 

As Soeun tried to lift up her body, every muscle felt tense, every movement felt like hundreds of daggers were coming her way. Sweat was already forming at the tip of her forehead.  Step by step, she walked slowly towards the doors, of where her parents laid.

 

“Miss Kim, do you have any relatives that you can call at the moment?” the doctor said quite moderately. Family? What kind of question was that? Were her parents all right? Questions kept buzzing in and out of her mind. Her head felt heavy, as if thousands of buckets of water were poured in her head all at once. “I-I…I don’t.” Soeun stuttered. She hesitated for a moment; was on fire, every word that was to come out took so long to say; yet she hadn’t talked for a number of hours.

 

“Ah, I see.” The doctor said. His face looked pale and somber. “Miss Kim… I’m sorry to say that, your mother is in a serious coma.”

 

Soeun felt her breath hitch. Tears were already threatening to fall down, as she gripped the hem of her dress. ‘No, this is all a dream, just a dream.’ She said to herself over and over again.

 

“…But, Miss Kim, your father…” the doctor started. Soeun’s eyes turned towards the doctor and pleaded with him, that it wasn’t true. The tone of his voice; she knew nothing good would come out of it, yet she had the tiniest drop of hope in her tears. “…He… he…”

 

“No. Please, don’t.” Soeun whispered as she shook her head.

“… Didn’t make it.”

 

With just a number of words, her whole world came falling down. Soeun backed away slowly, step by step. She couldn’t take it. Her feet felt weak and heavy; every movement she took felt as if the daggers were already striking at her.

 

Soeun slumped to the ground and cried. Every drop of her tears felt horrible. The rain that was already falling seemed to fall harder. She clung onto the doctor’s shoes, in hope, that this was all a joke. “No! Don’t lie. Out of all the days. This was supposed to be our day.” 

 

A/N: Sorry, for the short chapter. Hopefully, the second one will be longer. Constructive criticism is welcome :)