The Second Time

Pretending to Love

“Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to present, the host of this auction, Mrs. Lee.” The announcer stated.

 The lights dimmed down, as Mrs. Lee came up on stage. “Welcome, to this year’s annual Auction. It has been a pleasure serving our guests tonight, so thank you all for attending. I’m happy to say, the auction will start soon.” Mrs Lee started. “As you have all known, although this is an auction, my son will be having his twenty-fifth birthday in three days. So, I would gladly, like to introduce to you, my son, Lee Junho.”

Junho quietly walked on stage, as the spotlight was focused on him. The crowd applauded, as the young heir made his way to the centre of the stage, beside his mother.

“On the 22nd of September, we will be celebrating my son’s birthday, and as our pleasure, you will all be invited.”  Mrs Lee said with a smile plastered on her face.

The crowd applauded in delight, as smiles seemed to fill the atmosphere. “I hope, with all my pleasure, that tonight will be a wonderful one.” Mrs. Lee finished. She gave her guests one more smile, before she left the stage.

As Junho was walking down from the stage, Soeun kept her eyes peeled on him. Every ounce of her wanted to walk up on that stage and kick him in the-

“You know, I heard he’s getting engaged.” Ji-eun whispered, as she stirred her drink, lightly with the tip of her finger. Soeun turned to Ji-eun wide eyed.

‘Ani, it can’t be him.’Thoughts fluttered through her mind. What if it were him? Theoretically speaking, everything led down to Junho. Didn’t it? He was here. She was here. Mr. Jung said they would meet each other tonight. ‘No. It won’t be him.’

Do you know to… wh-who?” she stuttered. Her arms shivered at the thought of her marriage. Ji-eun sighed softly as she turned to Soeun. “Unfortunately not. But, rumors are saying, that it’s going to be some rich foreigner.” Soeun heaved a sigh of relief. Fate had given her another chance. She flapped her hands back and forth, cooling her nerves down.

 

/beep beep

Ji-eun scurried in her purse, trying to locate her phone. “What are you looking for?” Soeun asked. “I think my phone rang.” Ji-eun replied.

Ji-eun looked over at her phone, which caused her quietly gasp. “Hey, Soeun-ah, I’m just going to go to the ladies room for a while.” Ji-eun said, before walking away. “Ah, arasso.” Soeun replied.

 

~ ~ ~

 

An hour and a half later, Soeun had consumed two cocktails and a platter of shrimps. She sipped her cocktail angrily, despite all the eyes cautiously looking at her. If she had known that the auction would consist of name-droppers and a horrible man, she would have surely denied her invitation, even if it cost her the company. To make matters worse, as much as Soeun scanned the crowd, her eyes couldn’t spot Ji-eun since she had left for the ladies room, and for some reason, she was unable to pick up her phone.

Soeun looked over at the clock, hung over the bar. She had just over thirty minutes before the auction was to officially start. After much deliberation Soeun decided to roam the building, in spite of the importance of her attendance.

Slipping through the doors, Soeun hurriedly ascended the spiral staircase, which lead to the garden and pool. Knowing it wasn’t necessary to really go to the pool, since she obviously had no time to waste, she chose to walk across the gardens as it might offer something of more interest.

 

~ ~ ~

 

 Junho absolutely, with no doubt hated these types of auctions. It wasn’t really the fact that many people had their eyes cautiously on him, nonetheless, because of his reputation; it was the fact that this auction determined his future.

 

Tonight, he was going to meet her.

 

The mere thought of an arranged marriage didn’t surprise him. The news was coming sooner or later; it was just the matter of time. Junho sighed for the ninth time tonight. He needed some air. The atmosphere of the ballroom seemed to rather suffocate him. The drinks he had a while back didn’t make anything better.

Knowing his parent’s had eyes everywhere making sure Junho couldn’t leave, he decided to just lean on the railing of the balcony, overlooking the garden. The subtle breeze brushed past his hair, as he gently rubbed his hands. The garden was quiet tonight. All he could hear was the soft noise of water, sprouting from the fountain near by. He would be turning twenty-five in three days.

It was quite astonishing actually, at the age of six, he had promised a little girl that he would love her forever. However here he was, getting married to a stranger. Love never lasted. After seeing relationships between loved ones shatter like pieces of glass, he had promised himself that love was just a waste of time. Nothing ever lasted.

Junho tried to take his mind off his past. It wasn’t something we wanted to reminisce about, nor did her even want to waste his mind on.As his eyes roamed around the garden, as the lights lit up the architectural statues, he saw a very familiar face, roaming around the fountain. She was wearing a golden dress that shimmered in the moonlight. Before he knew it, Junho was already ascending the stairs that led to the gardens.

 

~ ~ ~

 

 

Soeun sat down as she watched the water sprout from the fountain. Silence filled the air, as she closed her eyes and inhaled the scent of irises. A soft breeze passed by her as her silky hair flew with the wind.

“Enjoying yourself too much perhaps?” Junho said as he grinned. Soeun turned her head around to see who it was. She stood up from the bench, in pure disbelief. It was him. It took her a couple of minutes, to actually regain her consciousness; nonetheless she was probably blankly staring at him, causing Junho to smirk.

“Admiring my beauty, eh?” Junho said with a laugh.

Soeun scoffed at the thought of him, actually calling himself attractive. “The only thing I’m going to admire is my foot down your throat.” Soeun replied.

Junho looked at Soeun with astonishment. Never, has he had trouble with the ladies before, nor did he ever have trouble with men! Yet he was, standing, in front of a girl that held her fist against his neck. Junho laughed, trying to control his anger. I mean, what gentleman would angrily speak to a woman. “It seems that I owe you an apology.” Junho said giving a slight bow. 

Soeun stared at Junho blankly.

 “Apology accepted, now if you may.” Soeun walked past Junho causing her to bump into his shoulder, as she had enough of his games. For god’s sake, she just wanted time for herself.

Junho scoffed, at her behavior. “You accept my apology, just like that? Well, actually I’m not surprised, most girls do that.” Junho called out, as he turned his body around just in time for Soeun to stop in her tracks.

Soeun exhaled angrily, as she clenched her fists. She wasn’t in the mood for this. Coming out to the garden was a mistake. She cursed Ji-eun inside. ‘Aish, if it wasn’t for her, I wouldn’t be in this situation.’ With him in the way of everything, Soeun couldn’t take it anymore. “Look, I don’t have time for this.” Soeun said politely. She turned away, as the breeze brushed past her again. Soeun was going to leave this auction now, whether anyone else liked it or not.

 

A/N: Okay, Chapter three is up. 

It was quite a short one due to homework and other things I don't really want to do -_-
 
Hope you enjoyed.