Chapter 5: Rumors

The Kingka and The Diva

 

Donghae never knew how low his reputation could get.

 

First, he was that normal teenager who had a moderate amount of friends and tried to stay out of danger's way. Now, he was an outcast, receiving uncomfortable stares wherever he went. Whether it was the cafeteria, the classroom, the gym, or even the bathroom, all he received were piercing stares that could possibly drill a hole inside his brain.

 

Why was this happening? He knew of course. It was all because of Kim Jonghyun. Just because he stashed Jonghyun's paper into his binder on accident doesn't mean he deserved this kind of fate. Afterwards, the kingka had spread a rumor about him. And it wasn't just any rumor.

 

"Psst! Look, it's Donghae!"

 

"Donghae? That guy in the rumor?"

 

"Yup!"

 

"I heard he s monkeys..."

 

"Well, whatever Jonghyun says, it must be true, right?"

 

It was basically a living hell.

 

He knew why Jonghyun received the idea of him having with monkeys. Everyone in the school knew that Donghae had a die-hard crush on the Fine Arts teacher named Eunhyuk who had moved to Incheon to enhance his teaching oppurtunities. The teacher somehow resembled a monkey.

 

You probably got the idea now.

 

---

 

"What the ?" Key exclaimed loudly, his voice echoing in the classroom. When he realized he was being stared at with peculiar gazes he replied, "...Sorry..."

 

"It's true," Mir nodded when Key turned back to look at him.

 

"But how could that dinosaur bastard do such a thing?! God, and to think I might have enjoyed this school..."

 

"It's a cruel world, my friend," Mir tried to console Key who was busy trying to write a Death Note for Kim Jonghyun. It's been a few weeks since he first enrolled into SM High and everyone soon knew the deep, infamous hatred between Jonghyun and Key. Luckily, Jonghyun gave up trying to seduce the diva and Key was free from Jonghyun's plan.

 

"B-but Donghae is our friend!" Key said. "He would never do such a thing! ing monkeys? Please!"

 

"This is the power of the kingka," Mir sighed, staring at Key with such sympathy.

 

"Speaking of Donghae, where is he?" Key questioned, raising an eyebrow.

 

"I saw him out the halls trying to go to the dancing studio," Mir answered, his fingers drumming on the surface of his desk. "Tried talking to him, but he seemed so upset. In addition, so many people were staring at him like he was a foreigner! es..."

 

"When I lay my hands on Kim Jonghyun, I swear--" Key was interrupted by the bell and everyone paced to their seats.

 

---

 

The bell that signaled lunch has started rang and everyone enthusiastically scurried out of their classes in joy, either rushing to the lunch line or to their lockers. Donghae just got out of math class and is too busy ignoring the mean whispers and provoking looks.

 

Donghae continued to strode towards his locker in exasperation. Everyone was closing on to him and he was at his peak. When he reached his locker he angrily twisted the lock, and after a few turns he opened his locker.

 

And what came out was a shock.

 

A foul stench met his nose and a brown, hairy monkey popped its head out of the locker, causing Donghae to stumble and fall on his bottom. The monkey peered the area before screeching and jumping out of the locker, scurrying away to who knows where. Donghae snapped out of his shock when annoying cackles were like a fusillade to his ears.

 

"Hey Donghae!"

 

"Why did you let the monkey escape?"

 

"You could've ed it!"

 

As the sleazy laughter became louder and louder, Donghae growled in despair and let a precious tear escape his eye.

 

He has had enough of this.

 

---

 

"Key! Key! Key!"

 

Key, who was approaching the lunch table that held Kevin, Mir, Sooyoung, and Amber, whirled around, tray abundant with food in hand, to see Onew running towards him.

 

"Onew..." Key murmured when Onew finally reached the diva. "...What's with the rope?"

 

"Oh! It's for the science project!" Onew began to explain. "I'm trying to test if weight really has to do with strength, so I'm testing one lightweight person and one heavyweight person to compete each other to pull a wooden podium that has the same weight, same height, same length, and same material it has been built with."

 

"Interesting," Key mused. 

 

"So, I want you to be the lightweight subject of the experiment!"

 

"Okay--BWOH?!"

 

"C'mon Key! You're a close friend of mine and you're pretty lightweight!" Onew pleaded, his hands clasped together in a begging manner. 

 

"No."

 

"Yes."

 

"No!"

 

"Yes!"

 

"N-O. It means no!"

 

"Too late!" Onew exclaimed, and before Key could protest Onew tied the long rope around Key's waist in a hurry and stood twenty feet away from the diva to avoid getting killed.

 

"Onew!" Key snarled, ready to pummel the chicken lover when Yoona rushed in the cafeteria.

 

"Guys!" Yoona yelled, but when she received no attention she climbed up on one of the cafeteria tables, snatched a megaphone from the cheerleading captain who happened to pass by, and shouted, "Guys! Donghae-oppa is on the rooftop! He's about to commit suicide!"

 

This caused a commotion.

 

"BWOH?!"

 

"Donghae-sshi?!"

 

"Commiting suicide?! H-how could he think of such things?!"

 

"This has to do with the rumor!"

 

"DONGHAE?!" Key exclaimed before he ran out of the cafeteria, the other amused or worried students tagging along.

 

---

 

"Here I go...." Donghae gulped as he looked down to overlook the hard, concrete courtyard. He was afraid.

 

But if he died, he wouldn't have to be afraid anymore, right?

 

Suddenly, he heard the sounds of ascending footsteps and turned around to see his fellow classmates crowding the rooftop, all pressed together uncomfortably. It looked like they found out. "Jump! Jump! Jump!" the students yelled out of amusement and encouragement.

 

3...

 

Donghae braced himself.

 

2...

 

Donghae buckled his knees.

 

1...

 

And just as he was about to jump...

 

"LEE DONGHAE!" Key's booming voice stood out from the others. Donghae whipped around to see Key pushing the other students out of the way to meet him. "WHAT THE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING?!"

 

"K-key..." Donghae blinked.

 

"ANSWER ME! HOW COULD YOU COMMIT SUICIDE JUST BECAUSE OF A DAMN RUMOR?!"

 

"Key! You don't know how much this rumor is tormenting me!" Donghae retorted. "All those people ignoring me, all those insults, and a ing monkey was in my locker. A MONKEY!"

 

"But you still have us! It's okay!" Key answered back in sympathy.

 

"Sorry Key," Donghae smiled weakly. "You've been a really great friend." And with that, he jumped.

 

"NO!" Key ran with all his might and also jumped off of the roof. He spread his arms and legs to drift faster in the air and successfully clutched onto Donghae. He felt Donghae twitch in surprise.

 

"Key! What do you think you're doing?!" Key heard Donghae's panicked yelp.

 

"Trying to die!" Key sarcastically answered back. He closed his eyes, ready for the great impact of the concrete when he suddenly felt himself stop in midair. Key hesitated to open his eyes, and when he did, he looked up to see Onew holding on to the rope, smiling sheepishly. Key sighed in gratitude and his grasp on Donghae grew tighter.

 

"You should thank me Key," Onew yelled out.

 

"Yeah yeah! Now pull us up!"

 

---

 

The cafeteria wasn't entirely empty.

 

In fact, a kingka was sitting casually in one of the abandoned tables, nonchalantly slicing medium rare steak. 

 

"I don't even need to see it to be interesting," Jonghyun said to himself, smiling in pride. As he was about to slip in a piece of steak into his mouth he was interrupted by the clanks of footsteps walking into the cafeteria.

 

"Aww...it would've been interesting if Donghae did jump off..."

 

"Still, what Key did was pretty...wow."

 

"I wonder how Jonghyun would've reacted..."

 

"What happened?!" Jonghyun approached the incoming students. The students were startled and were trembling in fear for the anger ablaze in Jonghyun's eyes.

 

"J-jonghyun..."

 

"Answer me!"

 

"W-well," one of the students gulped. "Donghae jumped off but Key saved him..." 

 

Jonghyun didn't wait to hear the rest of the story. When he reached the rooftop he saw Key and Donghae in an embrace, the watching students either cheering for bravery or sighing in disappointment. 

 

"Don't do that again, hyung."

 

"I won't. Thanks Key."

 

"WHAT THE HELL?!" Jonghyun's voice boomed throughout the rooftop, and everything fell in silence. He approached Key and pushed him off of Donghae, looking at him straight in the eye. "What the is wrong with you?!"

 

"Me?! What the is wrong with you?!" Key growled back. "How could you just sit there and let my friend die?! It's all your ing fault! W-we almost died because of you...YOU'RE A MONSTER KIM JONGHYUN!"

 

"..."

 

"C'mon Donghae-hyung," Key glowered. "Let's go get something to eat." And the two walked off. The other students exchanged glances before walking off to do other things, leaving the kingka alone, his fists clenched with such force.

 

"...Kim Kibum. Now it's your turn."


Wow, I promised to update in mid-June, but I updated earlier than expected.

I moved to my home country, the Philippines! Any problems? THE SLOW WIFI.

I also refound my obsession with DBSK. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO BREAK UP?! Stupid SM. All 5 of them are too gorgeous, I can't pick a bias! But when I first laid my eyes on them in Super Junior's Explorers of the Human Body, I fell in love with U-Know Yunho. 

SERIOUSLY. THIS MAN.

Did anyone hear Xiah Junsu’s Tarantallegra yet? If not, LISTEN TO IT. The dolphin has grown up. ;-;

Well enough of my rants. Kamsamnida for reading! Bye bye~