Once Every 76 Years

As Rare as a Halley's Comet that Goes Away Just as Fast

           “Well I probably should get going,” Dongwoo said awkwardly.  He had been sitting on the bench for a good ten minutes in silence with Hoya right beside him.  Hoya didn’t seem like he was planning on going anywhere and Dongwoo had stayed to collect his thoughts.  He thought that after an initial introduction of names that maybe a conversation would start, but Hoya still seemed to be in shock for some reason and remained in his own little world. 

            Dongwoo got up and was again surprised when Hoya touched him by grabbing onto his hand.  Even Hoya himself seemed shocked. 

            “Are you going?” Hoya asked.  He seemed sad, almost desperate.  Dongwoo could see in the boy’s eyes that he needed some company. Dongwoo looked at their connected hands and nodded. 

            “Can you stay for a while longer?” Hoya looked at him with longing eyes. He should say no; this boy was a complete stranger and his personality so far hinted at being a serial killer but a part of him wanted to get back at Sunggyu for what he did.  So even though Dongwoo thought he should say no, he said yes. 

            “I guess I can stay for a while,” Dongwoo sat back down on the bench.  Hoya smiled at him and stood up.  Because of their connected hands,  this action made Dongwoo stand up as well. 

            “Today is the day where we can see Halley’s comet.  It comes once every 76 years.  I always wanted to share it with somebody.” Hoya smiled and he started walking down the road. 

            Dongwoo silently followed behind the brunette. 

            A few minutes later they were walking up 12 flights of stairs to reach the roof of an apartment building.  Dongwoo clumsily walked onto the roof, his feet feeling like jelly as Hoya happily skipped across the threshold.  Dongwoo noted that Hoya wasn’t sweating at all (unlike himself) and realized that this boy must really exercise a lot.  Hence the jog wear.    

            “Come on.  It’s almost time!” Hoya exclaimed as he ran to the edge and for a second Dongwoo almost thought that the boy would jump over the building.  However, the brunette stopped just in time. 

            Dongwoo stopped beside Hoya at the edge of the roof, “What’s so special about this comet anyway?” 

            “You mean except for the fact that it comes to earth every 76 years?” Hoya turned to him, “It’s really beautiful to look at.  Very beautiful.  The brightest thing in the sky.  It’s almost like a shooting star,” Hoya’s eyes lit up and Dongwoo admired the passion he could see in the boy’s eyes. 

            “You know I take astronomy class,” Dongwoo tried to start a conversation.  He and Hoya had been standing on the roof for about an hour just waiting for this comet to appear.  Hoya was standing rigidly in the same spot just looking up at the sky, while Dongwoo had been pacing and jogging the roof to keep warm. 

            “Really?” Hoya turned to him.

            “Do you know that comets used to be thought of as evil omens or signs of impending disaster?”

            Hoya chuckled and Dongwoo laughed.  Laughs were contagious. 

            Dongwoo’s eyes widened as he saw a ball of light appear in the sky. 

            “Look!” 

            Hoya turned to him with a joyful expression.  For a brief moment Dongwoo was reminded of the  happy expression of a kid at Disneyworld. 

            “Isn’t it great?” Hoya asked as he looked up at it.

           “I guess,” Dongwoo said as his teeth chattered.  Hoya turned to him worriedly but didn’t move from his spot, “I wish I could be a comet,” Hoya said silently as he turned to the comet again.

            “I wish I could be a star,” Dongwoo said and then he grinned at Hoya, “Maybe I could become an awesome rapper or something.”

            Hoya turned to him with a raised eyebrow. 

 

Is it weird that I wrote this story for the sole purpose of clearing my yadong likes on tumblr??? I have so many liked gifs and pictures of the couple.  I just wanted to get rid of them XD and this is how I decided I would.  I write a story....aigoo.  now i have to get rid of all of the woogyu :(