Accidents Happen

As Rare as a Halley's Comet that Goes Away Just as Fast

            “I thought you would be here,” Dongwoo said as he sat down on the bench beside Hoya, “I’m sorry about yesterday.”

            “It’s okay,” Hoya said with a smile.  He gestured to the shirt in Dongwoo’s hand, “What’s that for?”

            “It’s for you,” Dongwoo said as he handed over the shirt.  He was right in guessing that Hoya would be wearing the same hoodie as the day before. 

            Hoya put out a hand, “No you don’t need to give me anything.” 

            Dongwoo was trying to push the hoodie into the boy’s hands but Hoya outright refused. 

            “So who was that guy?” Hoya asked.

            “My…boyfriend?  I don’t really know right now,” Dongwoo said.

            “I think he really cares about you.” 

            Dongwoo lowered his gaze to the ground, “I’m not sure about that.”

            Hoya shook his head, “No.  I know he does.” 

            Dongwoo looked up at him, “Do you have anywhere to bring me to today?”

            Hoya’s face lit up and he grabbed Dongwoo’s hand again.  Hoya was so distracted that he didn’t see the car that was speeding down the road.

            “Hoya!”

            Dongwoo grabbed Hoya and pushed the brunette across the other side of the road.  They both landed on the hard road.  The car that almost hit them honked and the driver shouted profanities at Dongwoo for being reckless.  Dongwoo got up and ran after the car holding up a fist. 

            After the car disappeared, he went back to Hoya who was pretty shaken up. 

            “Are you okay?” Dongwoo asked as he put a hand to Hoya’s back, “You should be more careful.”

            “Why did you do that?” Hoya yelled at Dongwoo.  Dongwoo moved back as Hoya’s face turned to one of anger. 

            “You could’ve killed yourself!” Hoya exclaimed as he shook Dongwoo by the shoulders. 

            “Me?  You would’ve died if I hadn’t saved you!” Dongwoo exclaimed angrily. 

            Hoya suddenly brought Dongwoo to him in a tight embrace. 

            “I’ve never had someone talk to me in years.  I’m glad that I’ve found you.”

            Dongwoo hugged Hoya back.  But he didn’t really get what Hoya was saying.  He sensed that the brunette was lonely, but he didn’t think Hoya was that lonely!  Hadn’t talked to somebody in years?

            “I’m so happy I found you,” Hoya repeated silently. 

           

            “Dongwoo!”  Dongwoo broke away from the hug to see Sungjong running to him.  There were tears in his eyes and he was wearing a teddy bear t-shirt and lemon pajama bottoms.  Dongwoo knew immediately that something was wrong.  Myungsoo ran out of the car he was in, leaving it running as he ran beside Sungjong. 

            “It’s Gyu, hyung!’ Sungjong exclaimed as he stopped in front of Dongwoo.  He would’ve fallen to the ground if Myungsoo hadn’t caught him. 

           Dongwoo felt his heart stop at the sound of the name.  He took in Sungjong’s state: his tears and his pajamas.  Myungsoo was barefoot. 

            “He got beat up at the bar.  It’s bad hyung!  He’s in the hospital!” 

            Dongwoo felt his world shatter as those words came out of Myungsoo’s mouth. 

            “He’s asking for you hyung.  We don’t know if he’s going to make it.” 

            Dongwoo turned to Hoya, “I need to go.” 

            He saw Sungjong look quizzically at where Hoya was before he tugged Dongwoo with him to the car.