Chapter Seven

Chasing Love

 

JB’s expression had twisted as he listened to Jiyeon’s words. Now his fists were clenched, his teeth gritted as he ground out, “Is that why you thought I lied? Because I left?”

Jiyeon’s eyes were tired and hurt as they met his, “Am I wrong? The moment I found out who you were, you disappeared. What else was I supposed to think?”

“I left because Jr told me your plan. Because Jr told me that you were coming after me. That’s why I ran, Jiyeon.” JB replied . His tone was defeated, sad, as if he had just realized something terrible. Jiyeon frowned, confused, “I don’t understand.”

There was a pause as JB took a long drought from his glass of water. Then he began to speak…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JB was cleaning the house, whistling a happy tune as he cleared the trash. He smiled as he did it. To think, the day would come when he was actually happy to be clearing trash! Being in love did do things to one’s mind.

He hadn’t expected that reaction from Jiyeon, to be honest. In his mind, when she found out the truth, there should have been a whole lot of yelling and screaming and accusing. And maybe, just maybe, she would have reported him to her Chief. He would have been heartbroken if that had happened. Being with her, living with her was the first time in a long while that he had been truly happy, the first time that he had really felt like settling down and staying in one place. It would have hurt him if she had surrendered him like that.

But Jiyeon had calmly accepted who he was. She hadn’t yelled at him, accused him of being an evil criminal, or threatened to tell her Chief. Instead, she had seemed satisfied, even happy when he explained his desire to settle down. JB was glad. It confirmed the love that they shared, if she was willing to forget his past and live with him.

As he walked into the kitchen, he heard someone banging the front door. He whipped around, automatically wary. Then he heard a familiar voice, “Yah, JB, open up!”

JB hurried to the door, only to see his brother, Jr, waiting outside. Jr’s expression was grim, “Get the hell out of here.”

JB blinked, startled, “What?”

“I said, get the hell out of here. They’re coming for you!” Jr strode into the house. JB still hadn’t quite understood what he was saying, “Who’s coming for me, what are you talking about?”

“Myungsoo is coming to arrest you, damnit!” Jr strode into JB’s rooms and flung his clothes at him. JB was stunned, “What? How do they…”

“They found out. I don’t know how, or why, but they found out. I was visiting him at the police station when I heard him talking to some girl about it. You have to get the hell out of here, JB, before he comes. Myungsoo wants blood, he’s going to make sure you get a life sentence, if not the death penalty. What are you still waiting for? Go!” Jr shoved JB, who was standing stock-still, his expression one of shock. Then JB’s eyes narrowed, and he breathed, “Jiyeon…she…she sold me out.”

Jr was startled to see the moisture forming in JB’s eyes, the trembling in his brother’s arms as he stared blindly ahead, “She lied to me…”

“JB, you have to go! Come on!”

At last, JB reacted. With lightning swiftness, he collected his belongings, making sure there was nothing he left behind. With cynical bitterness, he noted how few his belongings were, how easily it was for him to walk away from all this without leaving a trace. As if he had never mattered.

As JB and Jr stepped out of the door, JB took a deep breath. Jr glanced at him. His brother’s expression had become cold again, an expression that Jr was familiar with. JB turned to him, “I’m going to India. They won’t be able to trace me there, and there’s a relic there that I’ve was eying before.”

Jr nodded, “Good idea, get out of the country and go to somewhere you haven’t looted before. I think you should lie low for a while first.” He hesitated for a moment, then continued, his voice more subdued, “Mother misses you.”

JB stopped abruptly, his expression one of wounded regret, “Don’t tell her you saw me.”

“Why?”

“She might tell Myungsoo. I miss her, too, but I can’t go back. Myungsoo will kill me. You know that.” JB replied.

Jr nodded somberly. He knew Myungsoo would, if he saw JB at home. JB breathed in deeply, then sighed. He turned to take one last look at the house. To think, only ten minutes ago, he had been thinking of staying here for good…

“You betrayed me, Park Jiyeon. Why?” JB whispered, his expression bitter.

The sound of sirens filled the neighbourhood, and Jr looked about in alarm, “Get the hell out of here, JB.” He ran for his car, eager not to be caught by Myungsoo.

There was a pause as JB stared at the house. Then he turned, and walked away, just as he had walked away countless times before.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jiyeon stared silently at JB. His expression was bitter, a reflection of how he had felt when he thought Jiyeon had betrayed him.

The tears had begun falling as she listened to his story, without her even noticing it. The gap between them was not only a gap of space, but of time and misunderstanding, Jiyeon realized.

Wordlessly, JB stood up and walked over to Jiyeon. His own eyes had become moist as he knelt down before her, staring up at her, “It was a misunderstanding…we both misunderstood each other.”

Jiyeon began to sob, as she realized just how much she had lost back then.

JB reached up, touching Jiyeon’s face gently. Then he kissed her, and both of them felt complete again.

All of a sudden, there was a slam, and Myungsoo appeared at the door.

JB leapt to his feet, his expression wary, “Hello, Myungsoo.”

Myungsoo’s expression was mocking, “Why, hello, Jaebum. You’ve come back.”

Jiyeon was alarmed as she stared at her boyfriend, “Myungsoo…”

“Shut up.” Myungsoo said harshly. He glared at her bitterly, “I should have guessed you would just run back into his arms when he came back. Everyone does. Everyone just can’t resist JB, can they?”

JB’s eyes narrowed, “Is this about that?”

“Yes. It’s always been about that.” Myungsoo snarled, “You were always the one everyone preferred. Jr was closest to you, Mother always treated you best, Father always favoured you and spent the most time with you. Even Suzy…she wouldn’t look at anyone else once she saw you.”

“Myungsoo, listen to me. I never meant for that to happen. I tried, you know I tried to push Suzy away, but she wouldn’t…I didn’t want to hurt you.” JB pleaded.

“LIES!” Myungsoo bellowed, furious, “Suzy was my girlfriend, the one I loved, and yet the moment you appeared, you ruined everything between us!”

“I didn’t do anything! She threw herself at me-”

With a roar of anger, Myungsoo threw himself at JB. He punched JB, again and again, screaming in rage as he brutally kicked the blonde-haired man.

“Stop it!” Jiyeon screamed, running forward as she tried to pull Myungsoo away.

It took all of Jiyeon’s force to pull Myungsoo off JB. Myungsoo was breathing heavily, his expression one of hatred. JB’s face was bloody and bruised as he sat up, wincing in pain. There was a long silence. Then Myungsoo’s expression became one of anguish, “Why, JB? Why did you have to do that to me? Everything I’ve ever wanted, everything I’ve ever desired…why did you have to take all of it from me?”

“I never meant to.” JB’s voice was subdued, “It wasn’t on purpose. I never wanted to hurt you that way.”

Myungsoo looked down bitterly, “It’s too late now.”

JB stood up, “Why can’t you just let go of it, Myungsoo? Just forget everything that happened-”

“Can I?” Myungsoo demanded, “Even Jiyeon, you even had to take Jiyeon from me-” He broke off abruptly, looking away, “It doesn’t make a difference now. Nothing will change between us. Get ready, because once Suzy is released, things are going to be far worse than they are now.” He whipped around, and strode out of the house.

Jiyeon stared after him. She looked down, “I betrayed him. He must be so hurt…”

“Go after him.” JB’s voice was quiet as he broke in, “Comfort him. He needs you now.”

Jiyeon stared at JB, “But you…”

“Still caring for Myungsoo even after so long, huh?” Another voice interrupted. Jr was standing at the door, watching them, “I heard everything. He hates you now, why do you still care about him?”

“You know why, Jr.”

“He doesn’t care about that anymore. That relationship between you two…it doesn’t matter anymore.”

Jiyeon broke in, “What relationship? I don’t understand, who’s Suzy? What were you two talking about?”

Jr looked at Jiyeon, and his voice was tired as he spoke, “Don’t you know? Myungsoo is my brother. Our brother.”

------------------------------------------------------

*Cue dramatic music* How many of you saw that coming? Myungsoo is Jr's brother, and by extension, JB's brother as well! Horror of horrors...the brothers hate each other! 

So it's revealed that everything between JB and Jiyeon was just a misunderstanding...but this makes things all the more worse for Myungsoo, and we get our first glimpse at why Myungsoo hates JB so much. It's mostly because of Suzy, and I'll be explaining that in detail in the next chapter. This hate is only intensified since Myungsoo thinks that Jiyeon loves JB more than him, but the truth is that it's not that simple, and Jiyeon can't really decide between the two. Yes, she loves JB, and now that the misunderstanding is cleared up, her love for him just seems to intensify, but the time that Jiyeon spent with Myungsoo actually does count for something, and she can't forget him that easily either. Jiyeon doesn't want to betray JB, because technically speaking, JB came first, but she doesn't want to hurt Myungsoo either, especially since she does love him. I felt bad writing Myungsoo's part; he loves JB like a brother, but he also hates him because he thinks JB stole everything that he should have had...so much angst and anguish...Readers should give Myungsoo a hug XD

Quick question: Is anyone shipping Myungzy or JB/Suzy? Just wondering XD

And guys, remember, comment and subscribe!