Chapter Eight

Chasing Love

 

Jiyeon stared at JB in utter disbelief. “Brothers?” 

 

JB’s expression didn’t change. “Brothers. Go after him, Jiyeon. He needs you now. In his current frame of mind, I don’t know what he may do...” The worry on JB’s face was clear, his muscles tense as he frowned. “And I doubt he’ll want to see me very much at the moment.” 

 

Jiyeon hesitated, her eyes flickering to Jr. When the younger man gave her a nod, indicating that he would take care of things here, she bowed her head, then ran out to search for her partner. 

 

Even as she ran, she could not compute the fact that JB and Myungsoo were related let alone brothers. They looked nothing alike - JB was blonde, with kid-like good looks, while Myungsoo was just cold, dark and forbidding; there was nothing similar about the two of them. That, combined with their animosity towards each other...

 

The thought trailed off as Jiyeon caught sight of a man sitting on the pavement, his head in his hands. It didn’t take a genius to figure out who it was. Slowly, she made her way over to him, her voice gentle as she lay a hand on his shoulder. “Myungsoo-oppa.” 

 

Myungsoo shook her head off roughly, his voice hoarse as he sneered. “What, not staying by your JB-oppa?” His voice broke, and he turned away, hiding the tears streaking down his face. 

 

Jiyeon hesitated. When Myungsoo did not continue, she sat down next to him. “Do I really know you, oppa?” 

 

Myungsoo turned back to look at her. “What do you mean?” 

 

“At first I thought you were just my partner, and that your determination to catch JB wasn’t much - just professionalism. But now I find out you’re his brother, and you have a grudge against him to boot - how long did you know I was dating him? Were you...were you just using me to catch him? And afterwards, when JB escaped, when we started dating. Were you treating me nicely, asking me to be your girlfriend, just to make JB jealous and upset, and perhaps tempt him to come back to Korea?” Jiyeon’s voice was hurt and bewildered as she spoke, but her eyes were clear and piercing, carefully watching for Myungsoo’s reaction. 

 

Myungsoo stared straight ahead. “Yes.” 

 

There was a long silence. Carefully keeping her voice devoid of emotion, Jiyeon murmured. “What do you mean by yes?” 

 

“I knew that the two of you were dating all along. I planned to use his affection for you to trap him, to keep him here. I just didn’t account for Jr - I didn’t expect him to warn JB, to let JB escape in time. Afterwards...I admit, initially I did it because of my bitterness towards him. But then things change. Changed.” Myungsoo turned to face her. “I began to see you for who you were. And then all of a sudden it wasn’t about using you to bring JB back anymore - it was about keeping JB away, or locking him up, so I be with you.” Myungsoo’s breathing was harsh. “I know I lied to you, many, many times, and I’m sorry for that. But I did it because I love you, Jiyeon.”

 

Jiyeon stared silently at Myungsoo, at a loss for what to say. But before she could respond, Myungsoo turned away, his expression becoming bitter. “But, of course, no matter what I say, it won’t make a difference - JB always wins. Always.” 

 

Hesitantly, Jiyeon prodded. “Why...why do you say that? Why do you hate JB so much anyway? Aren’t you brothers? And that name you mentioned...Suzy. Who is she?” 

 

Myungsoo’s gaze became distant, as if he was staring past her, not seeing her. “Suzy...she was my ex-girlfriend. I met her in my final year of university - we took the same major, and got to know each other through that. After a while, things progressed, and we started dating. Things were good for a while, but then...” 

 

“Your ex-girlfriend...she fell in love with JB?” 

 

Myungsoo gave a bitter laugh. “You should have seen her face when she first saw JB - the previous times I’d brought her to my house, JB hadn’t been around, because he was staying in an apartment by himself then. But when she saw him...she told me he looked like a god.” 

 

Jiyeon blinked, startled. “She told you that? To your face?” She couldn’t believe the lack of subtlety of this Suzy girl. 

 

“Of course she did. Because she broke up with me the very next day. She said she “had found someone else she loved” and that she couldn’t be with me anymore because she would be lying to herself then.” Myungsoo rubbed his hand against the pavement, the bitter, mocking smile still curving his lips. “She told me that next to JB, I was nothing.” 

 

Jiyeon could only gape. “What happened after she broke up with you? Did JB...did he accept her? Didn’t he know you were dating her?”

 

Myungsoo glanced at her; for the first time, Jiyeon noticed the bitterness in his eyes  turning into anger, into hatred. “Do you think I would hate my own brother so much just because of a girl? He was my brother, the brother I loved...and yet he told Suzy to take up a knife against me.” 

 

Jiyeon stiffened; her eyes widened in shock, her expression utterly disbelieving. “He told Suzy to kill you? But...but JB isn’t that kind of guy, why would he...he’s not like that!” 

 

“You don’t know him!” Myungsoo exploded. “Which of us really knows what he’s thinking? I thought the same as well, I thought there was no way JB would betray me like that, but it’s a fact that Suzy attacked me with a knife!” Brutally, he yanked his shirt collar down, revealing a long, pink scar that seemed to run all the way down his body. “She told me the truth while she came after me, she told me that in order for them to be together, she had to kill me!” 

 

Bitterly, he laughed. “I trusted him too, Jiyeon. I was his brother, and I trusted him. I thought there was no way he would go out with Suzy, knowing that she would be dumping me for him. And instead, he sent her to kill me. Do you really know him, Jiyeon? You say you love him - but can you really trust him?” 

 

And Jiyeon had no answer to that. 

 

=================================

And just when Jiyeon thinks that things have been settled between her and JB, another wrench is thrown in - was JB really vicious enough to send Suzy to kill Myungsoo? 

 

I actually felt really sorry for Myungsoo during this whole chapter - he's got a pretty serious inferiority complex, plus he really REALLY hates JB (well can you blame him, considering his grievances?) JB on the other hand clearly still treats Myungsoo as a brother, or at least still cares for Myungsoo, as can be seen from how he sends Jiyeon out after Myungsoo to comfort him. So what do you guys think of this new plot twist? :)

 

I'll try and update the next chapter by the end of the month latest, so please anticipate it!

 

And remember guys, comment and subscribe!