Chapter Four

Chasing Love
"Jiyeon, let's get him!" Myungsoo hissed, "Now's a perfect chance, he's not even expecting us!"

Jiyeon hesitated, watching JB silently. Her heart hurt, seeing him with that girl. Had he forgotten about their relationship completely? Or had it never mattered to him? Slowly, her hand crept to her gun...

All of a sudden, JB's head jerked up. His eyes widened at the sight of Myungsoo and Jiyeon heading towards him. In a single fluid movement, he grabbed the girl begging him and threw her at them before dashing out of the place.

Myungsoo cursed as the girl crashed into him, throwing him back. He roared, "Jiyeon, don't let him get away!"

Jiyeon nodded and raced after the criminal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Im Jae Bum!"

JB skidded to a halt in the empty alley and turned to face Jiyeon, "It's not safe to shout my real name around these parts, Jiyeon. There are a lot of people who would like to see me dead."

"Then you shouldn't have told me your real name in the first place." Jiyeon answered, panting, "You introduced yourself at Jang Woojae. You didn't have to tell me differently afterwards, did you?"

"I never regretted it." JB answered coolly, "Even though I told you because I thought you wouldn't betray me, which is what you did in the end."

"I didn't betray you!" Jiyeon retorted angrily, "I was prepared to let you go, even though you were the enemy-"

Jiyeon's words were cut off as JB darted forward, standing so close to Jiyeon she could smell his cologne, "You sold me out. You told your bastard of a partner where I was. I would have died if I had stayed then!"

Jiyeon's expression was shocked, "What? What...do you mean Myungsoo? He didn't..he promised he wouldn't tell..."

JB gave a harsh laugh, "Your Myungsoo wants nothing more than to see me dead!" His expression softened momentarily, "I told you my real name because I trusted you, Jiyeon. Was I wrong?"

Jiyeon hesitated. And her mind flashed back to four years ago...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jiyeon tossed her bag into the sofa and slumped down next to it, exhausted. Just then, her phone rang. She picked it up, and her expression brightened when she saw the caller ID, "Woojae-ah?"

"Jiyeon? Have you arrived back in Korea yet?" Woojae asked, his voice affectionate. Jiyeon grinned as she answered, "Yep. When are you coming back?"

"This evening. Do you want to go out for dinner after that?"

Jiyeon answered in the affirmative.

"All right then, tonight seven at...say...Le Saint Ex?" Woojae asked.

"Definitely. See you then!" Jiyeon snapped the phone shut and hugged it to her chest, her expression blissfully happy. She was overwhelmed by the feeling of first love, and she giggled like a little schoolgirl. Then she dashed to the drawer to look for a nice dress.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Three hours later, Jiyeon entered the restaurant Le Saint Ex, and spotted Woojae waiting for her at a table in the corner, with a romantic lit candle in the middle of the table. Woojae smiled and lifted a hand in greeting. Jiyeon approached with a bright laugh, "Don't you look good?"

Woojae looked down at his formal suit and grinned, "Right back at you."

They sat down together at the table and quickly ordered their food. After a while of companionable silence, Woojae suddenly spoke, his tone unusually serious, "I have something I need to tell you."

Jiyeon looked up at him. She put her cutlery down, "Yeah?"

"...I lied to you last time." He drew a namecard out of his wallet, "My name isn't Jang Woojae. It's Im Jae Bum. I work for a company that...collects antiques and the like." He handed Jiyeon the namecard, "I'm sorry for lying to you, but it wasn't...safe for me to reveal my real name."

Jiyeon took the namecard and studied it for a moment. She felt a strange sense of betrayal, and her voice was slightly hurt as she asked, "Why are you telling me this now?"

Woojae hesitated for a moment. Then his eyes met hers, "Because I know I can trust you now."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I wouldn't have betrayed you." Jiyeon said, but her voice quavered as she spoke. It didn't escape JB's notice, "You're a FBI officer, Jiyeon. You do what you must to keep your job."

Jiyeon looked down, unable to completely deny his words. JB looked into the distance behind her and frowned, "You."

Jiyeon spun around, expecting to see Myungsoo, but she was startled to see JR standing behind her. JR's expression was unusually serious, "You shouldn't be here. You know Myungsoo will kill you."

JB's expression twisted into a bitter sneer, "And will you help him?"

JR tossed something to JB. The criminal took one look at it, and his eyes widened in shock. Jiyeon tried to see what it was, but she only caught a glimpse of something small and compact before JB stuffed it into his pocket, "He'll kill you if he knows you're doing this."

JR's lips tightened, "So you jolly well get the hell out of here."

"Wait...you two know each other?" Jiyeon exclaimed, interrupting for the first time. JR shot her a 'duh' look, while JB just smiled enigmatically. There was a pause as JB and JR stared at each other. Then JB inclined his head slightly, and turned to flee.

Jiyeon took a step after the criminal, but JR grabbed her arm, "Don't."

Jiyeon stared at him in disbelief, "You're with him? Are you his accomplice?!"

"I'm just repaying an old debt." JR answered calmly. He met her gaze without flinching, and slowly, Jiyeon relaxed.

All of a sudden, a fist met JR's cheek with so much force that JR flew back, hitting the ground with a loud thud. Jiyeon spun around, shocked, only to see Myungsoo, his expression worse than rage as he snarled, "You let him go?"

JR slowly got up, wiping the blood from the corner of his mouth. He looked up at Myungsoo without fear, "I owe him. You know that."

Myungsoo gave a roar of fury and kicked JR in the stomach, so hard that his best friend doubled over in pain. Jiyeon panicked, grabbing Myungsoo's arm and pulling him back as she shouted, "Stop it! Are you trying to kill your best friend?"

Myungsoo turned to her, and his expression was so foreign that she loosened her grip on him in shock. Myungsoo shoved Jiyeon hard; she landed on the ground, scraping her elbow and knee. Ignoring Jiyeon's cry of pain, Myungsoo turned to JR.

"Stop it." A new voice interrupted. Jiyeon looked up, only to see Hyomin, who reached down to help her out. Myungsoo glared at her venomously and hissed, "Like you have any right to talk here."

"JR had the right to help JB. You can't beat him up for it." Hyomin said firmly. She flinched as Myungsoo took a threatening step towards her, but the FBI officer turned away and sneered at JR, "Of course you would help him. No way you wouldn't help your brother, huh?"

---------------------------------------

Next chapter up! JB gets away again, and JR's relationship with the criminal is revealed...jiyeon's going to be shocked. Myungsoo also has a much more violent temper than first revealed...wonder why he hates JB so much? Is it really just because of Jiyeon...? XD

Guys, if you haven't voted for the pairings yet, please do so in the previous chapter; i'll be tallying final votes by the time I write the next chapter! And remember, comment and subscribe!