Chapter Six

Chasing Love

 

Jiyeon slammed the table as she stood up, “I don’t care. I won’t have you staying here. I’ll lose my job. Move out.”

JB raised an eyebrow, “I won’t, Jiyeon. And you can’t make me.”

“Fine. Then I want the truth.” Jiyeon sat down. JB frowned, “What truth?”

“What happened back then. Why you left all of a sudden. Why…why you ran away like that. I want to hear your side of things.” Jiyeon replied, narrowing her eyes.

JB smiled, but it was a cold, humorless smile, “Does it matter what my side is? Will it make a difference?”

“Yes.” Jiyeon answered immediately. For a moment, JB looked puzzled. Then his expression cleared, and softened into one of gentle concern, “Jiyeon, why have you been torturing yourself like this?”

Jiyeon pushed her chair back, folding her arms, “Like what?”

There was a pause as they stared into each other’s eyes. Then JB spoke softly, “Spending your days wondering if I ever truly loved you, wondering if I was just using you because you were an FBI officer…Do you think I won’t know what you’re thinking? I know you better than that, Jiyeon.”

Jiyeon’s breath quickened. Her fists clenched, tightly, “If you know what I’ve been torturing myself over, then tell me the truth. Did you ever care for me? Was it just a ploy on your part? Was it…was it as real for you as it was for me?”

JB shook his head, “Why would you think that it wasn’t real for me? Why would you think I never cared for you?”

Jiyeon looked down, “Because…because…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Four Years Ago…

Jiyeon stared silently down at the relic she held in her hands. The Crown of Thorns. The relic she had failed to protect. Slowly, her head turned to stare at the sleeping JB. Why did he have this? What did this mean?

Then JB spoke without moving, his eyes still closed, “Put that down.”

Jiyeon froze.

In a single fluid movement, JB pushed himself off the bed. He grabbed Jiyeon, pinning her down, his arms on both sides of her head as he stared down at her. Jiyeon’s body was tense, and she was almost hyperventilating as she stared up at her lover. Her voice soft as a whisper, she asked, “…Who are you?”

JB’s eyes narrowed, “I’m sure you already know.”

“JB…you’re the criminal JB.” Jiyeon’s voice was trembling as she spoke.

There was a pause. Then JB dipped his head, “Yes. I’m surprised it took you so long to find out. I expected you to find out faster, but I guess you were less perceptive than I thought…or perhaps you simply didn’t want to face the truth.”

Jiyeon shook her head, “I don’t…why. How can it be you?”

“It was a mistake on my part. I never realized who you were at the ball. I didn’t know that you were an officer, and by the time I realized the truth…I was too deep in to even turn back.” JB’s words were quiet, a confession as he admitted the truth. Jiyeon bit her lip, “So…when you first came to me, you just thought I was any other girl?”

JB managed a warm smile as he leaned down and kissed her gently on the lips; Jiyeon reciprocated, and for a moment, both of them relaxed, their arms holding each other tight. Then JB pulled away, “Yes. I didn’t know who you were…until I saw him.”

Jiyeon frowned, “Who?”

“Your partner. Kim Myungsoo. I recognized him.” JB replied, his face dark. Jiyeon hesitated as she looked down, “What are we going to do now? If Myungsoo finds out who you are…”

“Hide the truth from him.” JB pleaded, “Don’t tell him who I am. I already want to quit, I just want to live peacefully with you. Don’t tell him anything. Just pretend I’m not the criminal JB. I swear to god, I’ll stop everything I’ve been doing and get a proper job. Then we can lead normal lives. Please.”

There was a long silence as they stared at each other. Then Jiyeon looked down, “All right. I promise.”

Two hours later, Jiyeon had only just entered the FBI office when Myungsoo grabbed her, “Park Jiyeon, come with me.”

Jiyeon was startled, but let Myungsoo drag her out of the building. Once Myungsoo confirmed that there was no one around, he began to speak excitedly, “This is it, Jiyeon. We’re finally going to break the case!”

Jiyeon frowned, “What are you talking about?”

Myungsoo held up a file he was holding, “We have hard evidence that the criminal JB is actually a man named Im Jaebum. His fingerprints were found all over a relic that we recovered, The Holy Chalice.”

Jiyeon’s eyes widened, “Where did you…?”

“I’m sorry, Jiyeon. I went to your house, and I saw it, so I took it to check it out and see if it was real. I didn’t expect it to be. I was sure that you weren’t JB, however, and the fingerprints on the Chalice revealed that the criminal is that bastard that’s staying over at your house.”

Automatically, Jiyeon said, “We share the house.” But Myungsoo waved that away in his excitement, “This is it. We’re finally going to catch JB!”

Myungsoo’s words finally registered fully in Jiyeon’s mind, and she grabbed him, “No, you can’t do this.”

Myungsoo frowned, “What the hell, Jiyeon? Just because he’s your boyfriend so you think you can let him go? He’s a wanted criminal, Jiyeon. We have to arrest him.”

“No, you can’t! I won’t let you!” Jiyeon’s voice was strong as she grabbed onto Myungsoo, holding him back.

“Why, what did he tell you? That he’s going to settle down with you peacefully from now on? Please. Don’t give me that bull. He’s a criminal. A liar. You can’t believe anything he says. I bet he got together with you just cos you’re an officer and he can get intel from you!” Myungsoo sneered, pushing Jiyeon’s hand away.

Jiyeon froze at Myungsoo’s words, “I don’t believe you. He told me…he told me it was all a coincidence…” But her voice was less convinced, more doubtful now, and Myungsoo pounced on that, “As if you can believe what a criminal tells you! Come on, Park Jiyeon. You’re an officer, surely you can see through his pathetic lies! He’s a liar and a thief! He got close to you just to use you!”

As Myungsoo spoke, Jiyeon’s previous faith in JB began to slowly crumble; her breathing became harsher, her hands trembling. After a moment, Myungsoo spoke, “There’s nothing you can do, anyway. I’ve already given this to Changmin. We’re moving out in an hour’s time. All you can do is to get ready for the arrest.” And then he strode away, leaving her alone. Slowly, Jiyeon crumpled to the floor, weeping.

One hour later, the house was empty, and Im Jaebum was gone. He had left her, just like he had left all those other girls in his life. And that was when she realized. As Myungsoo patted her on the back and told her he knew this would happen, that was when she realized. That everything JB had told her before was a lie.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Present Time

Kim Myungsoo folded his arms as he waited silently. Before he could count to ten, the door opposite him was thrown open, and a girl was pushed into the room. The warden spoke, his voice monotonous, “Five minutes.”

She seated herself at the table, “Myungsoo.”

Myungsoo leaned across the table, a cold smirk on his face, “Jaebum is back.”

The girl’s expression became animated, “He is? Is it for me? I know it is, he knows that I’m being released soon, that’s why he came back to see me!”

Myungsoo’s lips widened into a grin, “I’m afraid you’re wrong. He came back for her. Park Jiyeon. To clear things up with her. I think he might even love her.”

The girl’s jubilant expression faded. Then it twisted into one of angry denial, “You’re lying.”

Myungsoo leaned back, folding his arms with a smile, “Why would I lie? You’re not worth my time, trash.”

With a scream, the girl lunged across the table at him. The warden grabbed her roughly, pulling her back, yelling over her screams, “Enough! Out!”

Myungsoo was completely unruffled, the smile on his face only widening. As the girl was pulled out of the room, he raised his voice and spoke, “See you soon, Bae Suzy.”

----------------------------------------------------------

So we finally find out what happened four years ago, from Jiyeon's point of view...it seems like JB really did make a run for it after using her, didn't he? But this is only half of the story; JB's side will come out in the next chapter.

On a sidenote, I really enjoyed writing the scene with Myungsoo and Suzy; it was intense. Myungsoo became a cold, smirking hot guy who's just taunting Suzy, while Suzy seems a bit unbalanced...and yes, Suzy is in a jail. Has been, for the past eight years? Can anyone guess why, and what is the connection between Myungsoo and Suzy? There's quite a few details lacking at the moment, so if anyone can guess the truth, then WOW you are really a genius. 

Also, I'm really sorry about the incredibly late update; I've been busy with my studies cos exams are coming up again. Once the exams are over, however, I'll be able to update a lot faster. 

And guys, remember to comment and subscribe!