Prologue

Chasing Love

 

-Four Years Ago: New York, America-

“No. No. You…you’re lying. You’re lying. I don’t believe a word of what you just said.” The girl whispered. She reached out and grasped his arm, her expression pleading, “Tell me you didn’t mean it!”

The man smiled, a little sadly. Gently, he pulled her hand away, “You should know very well…a leopard never changes its spots. Goodbye, love. It was fun while it lasted.” As he stood up from the bench and made to walk away, she clutched onto him tightly again, “Please. I need you. I…I love you.”

There was a pause as he stared at her. Slowly, he knelt down beside her. Gently, he wiped the tears from her eyes and lifted it to his lips, tasting it. His expression was melancholy, even regretful, as he replied, “I know. But I have to do this. I never wanted to hurt you. I’m sorry.”

He leaned forward, and his warm lips met hers.

And then he was gone, gone from her life, leaving her weeping after him like he had left dozens of other girls.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Four Years Later: Seoul, Korea-

Park Jiyeon stretched, yawning as she looked up from her computer. Her boyfriend and colleague, Kim Myungsoo, glanced over at her. With a grin, he asked, “You going home now?”

Jiyeon glanced at the clock, “Yeah, probably. Why?”

Myungsoo fished out two tickets, “Wanna go for a movie together?” Jiyeon rolled her eyes, “Oh please, why would I want to go for a movie with you? I’ll rather go with my dog.”

Myungsoo pouted, “Not even if the show was Breaking Dawn Part 2?”

That perked Jiyeon’s interest. She grabbed a ticket, “I’m in.” Myungsoo grinned playfully, “I knew you couldn’t resist.” He ruffled her hair, “I’m going back to change first, I’ll go over to your house and pick you up later, okay?”

“Sure.” Jiyeon smiled back at her boyfriend. She turned back to her computer.

Her life now was perfect. As an experienced FBI officer, she had a good career with a high chance of promotion, since she had a nearly perfect track record, and her love life was going smoothly, with a perfect boyfriend willing to do anything for her. She could scarcely be recognised as the same rookie officer from back then…

A few hours later, Myungsoo and Jiyeon were walking out of the cinema, hand in hand with each other. Jiyeon was gushing about the movie, “Oh my god. Did you see that moment where Edward was protecting Bella, and told her that he would love her forever? He is so, so cool.”

Myungsoo rolled his eyes, “That’s the fifth time you’ve said that, can’t you gush about any other scene? Like the confrontation between the Volturi and the Cullens? That is so much more interesting.”

Jiyeon shoved Myungsoo playfully, “As if!”

Just then, Jiyeon’s phone began to vibrate. She picked it up at once, “Hello?” As she listened, the colour slowly drained from her face, and her lips began to tremble. Myungsoo frowned, worried. As Jiyeon lowered her hand, he asked, “Is something wrong?”

Jiyeon just stared into the distance, her eyes stunned. A moment later, Myungsoo’s own phone began to ring. He picked up, “Hello, this is Kim Myungsoo.”

It was the Head of the FBI, Shim Changmin, “Myungsoo, there’s been a notice, billionaire Kim Jaejoong just received a telegram that he will be robbed of half his money within the month. You and Jiyeon have to deal with it at once. And you better not screw up again.”

Myungsoo blinked, confused, “I’m sorry? I don’t really get what you’re saying, sir. What do you mean by ‘screw up again’?”

Changmin’s voice was grim as he replied, “You know the criminal this time. It’s an old guy, Im Jaebum, better known as JB. Remember him?”

Myungsoo’s body stiffened. Slowly, he turned to look at Jiyeon, “Him?”

“Yes. And you two better not screw the case up again. Last time was a complete fiasco. This time, you better win.” Changmin hung up.

Myungsoo’s hand fell limply to his side. He looked at Jiyeon, whose expression was still as stunned as before, “That…that phonecall was from the boss, wasn’t it?”

Jiyeon’s eyes slowly turned to look up at her boyfriend. Her voice barely more than a whisper, “It…it’s really him. He’s back…” She looked down, and the tears welled up in her eyes, threatening to spill over. Myungsoo’s fists clenched, and he thought back to four years ago, where everything had first began…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-Four Years Ago: Kensington Palace, London-

Park Jiyeon and Kim Myungsoo stopped outside the palace. They glanced at each other, and Myungsoo looked quickly at his watch, “Half an hour to nine. That criminal JB is supposed to make his move at nine, right?”

“Yeah. He said he’s going to steal the Crown of Thorns from Kensington Palace at nine tonight?” Jiyeon consulted a notice that had been faxed to the FBI two days before, declaring that the Crown of Thorns would be stolen on its first exhibition, “He’s a pretty daring thief, isn’t he?”

Myungsoo nodded, “You nervous? It’s your first mission, after all.” Jiyeon just shook her head, “I’m fine.” She glanced at the palace, “We should go in. It’s a pity that the Queen insisted on this being a masquerade ball. I mean, it’s fine to have a masquerade ball, but isn’t it a bit ridiculous to exhibit such a legendary relic at the same time, especially since a criminal’s already set his eyes on it?”

Myungsoo shrugged, “She decided it.” He pulled out a mask and fixed it on, “Let’s go.”

Jiyeon did the same. Taking a deep breath, they entered the palace.

Jiyeon was awed by the ballroom. It had beautiful, pearly white walls, with fantastic gold pillars. In the middle was a tall statue, and upon its head was the legendary Crown of Thorns. The statue was surrounded by a red laser circle that could burn through any material and set off alarms the moment it anyone crossed it.

Jiyeon took a deep breath. She glanced at her watch. Twenty minutes more.

All of a sudden, she felt a hand touch her shoulder. She spun around, only to see a stranger in a beautiful red phoenix mask. He was of average height, with spiky blonde hair and attractive storm-gray eyes. His suit fit snugly on him, showing off his lean, muscular body. The man extended his hand, and Jiyeon admired his long, slender fingers as he asked, “Would you care for a dance, madam?”

Jiyeon smiled and took his hand, “Why not?”

The man lifted her hand to his lips. He placed one hand on her shoulder and another around her waist, and waited for Jiyeon to respond in kind. And then they swirled onto the dance floor.

Two or three songs later (Jiyeon didn’t keep count), the man finally stopped. He glanced at his watch, which Jiyeon noticed was an expensive Rolex, with diamonds set around the edge. With a regretful smile, the man detached herself from him, “My apologies, but I have to go. I have another…appointment.”

“Girlfriend?” Jiyeon asked. The man chuckled, “Not remotely.” His captivating eyes met hers, “It was fun while it lasted, madam.” And he strode away, quickly lost in the crowd of people.

Jiyeon sighed as she watched him walk away. He had seemed interesting.

Just then, Myungsoo appeared beside her. His tone was slightly cold as he asked, “Had fun?”

Jiyeon blushed slightly, “Oh, sorry. I got distracted.” Myungsoo looked displeased, but he just looked at his watch, “It’s almost time.”

And then the lights flickered off.

There was instant panic. People immediately began to scream and shout, running about. Myungsoo grabbed for Jiyeon beside him, but she was gone, pushed away by the panicking crowd. Hoping she would recognise his voice, he shouted, “Protect the Crown, Jiyeon!”

Separately, the duo made their way towards the statue. They d about in the dark, searching desperately for the statue, but it seemed that everywhere they turned, there was nothing but a screaming, milling crowd of people.

The lights flickered on.

Jiyeon stopped abruptly. Slowly, her gaze turned to the statue.

The Crown of Thorns was gone. JB had struck again. 

---------------------------------------------------------

So here it is! The prologue. Was it confusing? I found it a little confusing to write, but I tried to include a bit more of JB and Jiyeon's first meeting... Did you guys like it?

The story will pretty much be written in this format, as I will be alternating between the present time, where Jiyeon and Myungsoo are chasing after JB, and the timeline four years ago, where I'll be writing more about JB/Jiyeon's past together. 

And remember, subscribe and comment!