Chapter 9

39 Days After
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


The dining hall buzzed with activity as survivors bustled about, their wary glances flickering toward Aeri as she entered. Baekhyun sensed the undercurrent of caution in the air, the tension palpable as whispers and sidelong glances followed her every move.
 

Baekhyun observed Aeri's subtle discomfort, noticing her fidgeting and the tension in her shoulders. "Want to head back to my chamber?" he suggested softly, his eyes meeting hers with a reassuring gaze.
 

As Aeri shook her head, her hands fidgeted slightly, betraying her discomfort under the scrutiny of the other survivors. Baekhyun, noticing her unease, felt a pang of sympathy. He wanted to shield her from the prying eyes, to whisk her away to safety where she wouldn't feel so exposed. With a resigned sigh, he reluctantly let her be, but his eyes lingered on her, silently promising to intervene if things became too overwhelming. Then, with a subtle shift in his demeanor, he cast a stern look at the other survivors, silently urging them to respect Aeri's privacy and refrain from further scrutiny.

 

"Hey, Cap," Sehun greeted Baekhyun with a nod as he took a seat adjacent to Aeri. Baekhyun observed how Sehun's eyes widened with curiosity as they lingered on Aeri, taking in her appearance. Sensing Aeri's discomfort, Baekhyun coughed lightly, shooting Sehun a pointed look to remind him to be more discreet in his observations.
 

The designated chef, Bord, approached Baekhyun, presenting him with a plate of freshly cooked food. Baekhyun couldn't help but notice that the portion seemed slightly smaller than usual. He glanced at the chef, his expression betraying his silent question about the state of their food supplies.
 

“Sir, may I have a moment?” he requested, his tone tinged with concern. Baekhyun glanced up, acknowledging the gravity in Bord’s demeanor. "I'll speak with you in a few."

 

Baekhyun's gaze shifted back to the woman beside him, a small smile tugging at his lips as he watched her deftly handle her food. "Make sure you finish that," he remarked, his tone light yet firm.

 

The clinking of metal caught his attention, drawing his focus to Jihoon's group as they made preparations to depart for a supply run. Tension crackled in the air as their eyes met, but Baekhyun quickly pushed aside any irritation, turning instead to Sehun with a measured glance.
 

“Are you done with your tasks?” Baekhyun inquired, his voice carrying a hint of curiosity as he glanced over at Sehun.
 

Sehun grinned, a cocky edge to his voice. “Finished ages ago, Cap,” he boasted, a confident swagger in his posture as he leaned back in his seat. "Good. You’ll come with us," Baekhyun said, his voice firm yet inviting.

 

"Us, you mean…" Sehun trailed off, glancing at Aeri with a hint of uncertainty in his expression. Baekhyun simply nodded in response to his comrade's unspoken question.

 

Chanyeol's sudden appearance broke the tension, his boisterous voice slicing through the air. "You wouldn't dare leave me behind, would you? That's just plain unfair!" He settled beside Aeri with a grin, his presence injecting a burst of warmth into the room. His grin stretched wider, revealing a set of perfectly aligned teeth, eyes sparkled with warmth and a hint of mischief as they locked onto Aeri's. With an inviting gesture, he extended his hand towards her, the movement smooth and confident. "Hey there," he greeted, his voice carrying a friendly charm. "I'm Chanyeol. And you must be Aeri, right?"

 

Baekhyun's brows furrowed slightly, a flicker of concern crossing his eyes as Chanyeol reached out to shake Aeri's hand. In that moment, he realized he hadn't mentioned Aeri's muteness to anyone. As Chanyeol's hand lingered in the air, Baekhyun's mind raced, contemplating how to address the situation without causing embarrassment or misunderstanding.

 

Despite knowing that Aeri could understand their interactions, Baekhyun couldn't shake off his discomfort on her behalf. He worried that she might feel somehow offended or excluded from the exchange, even though she was fully aware of what was happening.
 

Baekhyun felt a wave of relief wash over him as Aeri shook his friend's hand and a small smile graced her lips.
 

Aeri’s fingers hesitantly grasped the fabric of his shirt sleeve, her gaze flickering up to meet his with a silent plea for attention. Without hesitation, he responded, gently placing his hand over hers and waited for her to convey her thoughts.
 

Let's go?  Aeri traced the words onto his palm, her touch gentle yet determined.

 

"Finish your food," he commanded, his tone softened by the warmth in his eyes as he met her gaze with understanding.

 

Chanyeol and Sehun exchanged surprised glances, their eyebrows raised in astonishment as they observed Aeri's method of communication with their captain. Sehun's lips twitched with a hint of amusement, while Chanyeol's eyes sparkled with curiosity and intrigue. Sehun couldn't resist a snide remark, muttering under his breath, "Who knew the ice king had a soft spot?"
 

Baekhyun swiftly kicked Sehun under the table, shooting him a sharp look to silence his friend’s snide remarks. Aeri, remained oblivious to the exchange.


Just then, Jongdae rushed towards them with a worried expression etched on his face. Despite his concern, he managed to flash a warm smile at the woman beside their leader.
 

Baekhyun arched an eyebrow, catching the unease in Jongdae's demeanor. "What's on your mind?" he probed, his tone tinged with concern. Jongdae hesitated, then glanced at the departing soldiers before turning back to Baekhyun.
 

"Mind if I tag along with the guys?" he asked, nodding toward the group.

 

Baekhyun’s initial response wavered as Jongdae intervened before he could answer. “Ava…” Jongdae’s voice tapered off, his brows knit with concern. “It looks like she might go into labor any moment now. I just need to make sure we have enough medical supplies ready for when she gives birth.”


Baekhyun's voice lowered, his gaze intense as he addressed Jongdae. "I get where you're coming from," he said, his words carrying the weight of experience. “But going out there is incredibly risky.” He emphasized each word, a stern reminder of the dangers lurking beyond their settlement. “Scavenging isn’t for the faint-hearted. There are countless threats out there, and we can’t afford to take unnecessary risks.”


Jongdae's spirits appeared to falter as he looked down, a tinge of disappointment crossing his features. "I'll gather some of the guys for the supply run," he murmured, his resolve showing despite his subdued tone. "And I'll check the infirmary to make sure we're ready for Ava's needs." Baekhyun nodded reassuringly, his voice steady with determination.

 

Jongdae expressed his gratitude with a series of heartfelt thanks, bowing respectfully to Baekhyun before swiftly departing to attend to his wife.
 

"Can I come along too?" Chanyeol persisted with his usual eagerness, his tone hopeful. Baekhyun's left brow quirked in surprise as he watched his towering friend extend his palm to Aeri, silently seeking her response in her unique way. Aeri's gaze flickered briefly to Chanyeol's outstretched hand, her expression thoughtful as she considered his request. Befor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter