Chapter 4

39 Days After
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Baekhyun's footsteps were dragging, each one filled with uncertainty and regret as he retraced his steps to where he last saw his team. Part of him hoped they were still there, waiting for him, while another part was weighed down by guilt for leaving Aeri behind.

 

Moreover, the thought of whether she had caught his name before he departed tormented him, adding to his remorse.

 

He approached the run-down building where the brutal fight had taken place several days ago. His eyes scanned the deserted scene, his face contorting with anger and frustration at finding no sign of his team nor his enemies.

 

Just as he was about to turn back and continue his search elsewhere, the sound of heavy footsteps echoed through the abandoned structure. 

 

He stood with his hands poised, ready for any potential danger. Although he noted that his shoulders were not yet fully healed, he knew he wouldn't have a choice but to fight if necessary.

 

As the footsteps drew closer, he prepared himself for battle with a hardened expression on his face.

 

A shiver ran down Baekhyun's spine as he sensed he wasn't alone. There was a presence behind him, and he tensed, ready to react. With a swift motion, he turned around, only to find Chanyeol standing there with a smirk on his face. Relief washed over him, but a flicker of unease lingered, knowing that Chanyeol could have been lurking there all along, observing and biding his time.

 

Chanyeol's smirk faded as he registered the exhaustion and worry etched on Baekhyun's face.

 

"What took you so long?" Baekhyun snapped, unable to fully mask the relief in his voice.

 

Chanyeol shrugged nonchalantly, his eyes scanning the area before settling back on Baekhyun. "Had to make sure it was safe," he replied, his tone more serious now. "You look like , by the way."

 

Baekhyun resisted the urge to roll his eyes. "Thanks for the concern," he muttered sarcastically. "Where are the others?"

 

Chanyeol's expression twisted with a potent mix of concern, anger, and frustration, mirroring Baekhyun's own rising anxiety. "We got separated during the attack," he revealed, his voice weighed down with regret. "I searched for them, but the chaos was overwhelming. I had no choice but to return to the settlement." He paused, his jaw clenched tight. "And Jihoon's group... they caused nothing but trouble, Baek."


Baekhyun's features hardened as he absorbed Chanyeol's words, a surge of determination coursing through him. "We'll deal with Jihoon's group," he declared, his voice firm with resolve. "But first, we need to find our missing comrades. Let's gather the others and make a plan."

 

Chanyeol's hesitation hung heavy in the air, his troubled expression a stark contrast to the determination in Baekhyun's eyes. With a heavy sigh, he finally spoke up, the weight of his words palpable in the tense atmosphere.

 

"Everyone else made it back," Chanyeol confessed, his voice carrying a mixture of relief and concern. "But Sehun... He left two days ago, desperate to find you. He hasn't returned yet."

 

Baekhyun's heart clenched at the news, a surge of emotion coursing through him. Gratitude washed over him knowing his comrades were safe, but worry gnawed at his insides for Sehun's wellbeing. "We can't leave him out here alone," Baekhyun declared, his voice steady despite the turmoil within. "We are not going back until we find him."

 

Chanyeol nodded in agreement, the seriousness etched on his face mirroring Baekhyun's. They understood the risks of venturing out into the unknown, but they also knew that they couldn't abandon Sehun. Together, they would search high and low, leaving no stone unturned until they find him.

 

As they set out on their mission, Baekhyun's mind drifted back to Aeri. Guilt gnawed at him, reminding him of the promise he had made to her.

 

Despite the urgency of their search, Baekhyun remained mindful of his recovering shoulder as he and Chanyeol combed through the desolate streets and crumbling buildings. Their eyes swept every corner, vigilant for any trace of their missing comrade. Along the way, they faced perilous encounters – hostile creatures lurking in the shadows, reminders of a world gone awry. Despite the danger, they fought back with unwavering courage and determination, Baekhyun's resolve undiminished even as he pushed through the discomfort of his injury.

 

As the sun dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the ruins of the city, they found themselves at the edge of a dark forest. A shiver ran down their spines as they approached the thicket, the air growing colder and the wind howling with an eerie intensity.

 

The tangled branches and overgrown foliage made it difficult to navigate through the forest, but they pressed on, driven by hope and desperation. It wasn't long before they stumbled upon a small clearing.


At the heart of the forest clearing stood a cluster of ancient trees, their branches stretching towards the heavens like silent sentinels guarding the secrets of the wilderness. The forest encroached upon the clearing with an eerie stillness, a foreboding presence that whispered of hidden dangers lurking just beyond the safety of their settlement.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol approached cautiously, their senses on high alert. The air grew heavier with each step, tingling with an otherworldly energy that sent a shiver down their spines.

 

Baekhyun and Chanyeol exchanged a glance, their eyes reflecting both caution and determination. Whispers and inaudible sound rang through their ears.

 

As they braced themselves for combat, a familiar voice echoed in the distance. It was Sehun's unmistakable tone. 

 

Baekhyun followed where the sound came from and his body trembles with pure terror as he stares at the place before him. The twisted vines and gnarled flowers seem to writhe with a life of their own, a chilling reminder of the monsters that inhabit this lair. Baekhyun knows they must escape quickly, the risk of disturbing their slumber is a danger too great to ignore.
 

With their skills, they could potentially take on a few of these creatures, but if it is indeed a flock of the deadly Mossclaw, they might as well be signing their own death wish. 

 

The sound of Sehun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter