Chapter 8

39 Days After
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Baekhyun made his way back to his shelter, the tension in his shoulders gradually loosened. Entering the dimly lit space, he was greeted by the sight of Aeri peacefully nestled in his bed, her tranquil demeanor casting a brief, comforting spell over the turmoil raging within him. Chanyeol stood guard nearby, his posture alert yet tinged with a hint of concern as his gaze remained fixed on the slumbering girl. Each flicker of candlelight danced across the room, illuminating the scene with a soft, ethereal glow, adding to the sense of calm that enveloped them.

 

Sitting down, Baekhyun couldn't shake off the tension he just did from the 'confrontation' outside. Chanyeol glanced at him, sensing his troubled thoughts, but decided to respect his silence. Besides it is not as if Jihoon is innocent anyway.

 

After a moment, Chanyeol quietly rose to his feet, his movements careful not to disturb Aeri's rest. He cast a sympathetic glance at Baekhyun before nodding towards the door, silently acknowledging his desire for solitude. Recognizing Chanyeol's silent message, Baekhyun nodded appreciatively in response. With one last glance at Aeri, Chanyeol departed the shelter, leaving Baekhyun alone with his thoughts and the sleeping woman.

 

As Chanyeol quietly exited the shelter, Baekhyun's attention shifted to Aeri, who lay peacefully on the bed. Her face was calm, untouched by the day's chaos. With a gentle touch, he moved her hair aside, revealing the wounds on her forehead and arms, evidence of the struggles she had faced earlier.

 

Baekhyun's expression tightened with worry as he fetched the damp cloth and the small first aid kit. He carefully poured antiseptic onto the cloth and began to clean Aeri's wounds. Each bruise and cut made him grimace, knowing the pain she must have endured. Despite his efforts to be gentle, Aeri stirred in her sleep, causing Baekhyun to feel a pang of guilt. But he continued his task, determined to ease her discomfort as best he could.

 

As Baekhyun gingerly tended to Aeri's wounds, a torrent of guilt and turmoil surged within him, threatening to engulf his every thought. Each touch of the cloth against her skin reignited the internal battle raging within him—a relentless onslaught of self-doubt and regret. He couldn't shake the gnawing sensation that he had failed her, that perhaps with a bit more persuasion, he could have spared her this pain. If only his words had carried more weight, if only he had found the right words to convince her to leave with him. But now, as he traced the lines of her injuries, the weight of his inadequacy pressed heavily upon him, a haunting reminder of the consequences of his silence.


Chanyeol slipped back into the room, his footsteps barely audible against the floor. With a plate of food in hand, he approached Baekhyun and set it down beside him. Their eyes met, exchanging a silent acknowledgment of the vital role sustenance played in their survival. Grateful for his friend's thoughtfulness, Baekhyun nodded in acknowledgment, the gesture not lost on his friend. With a small smile, Chanyeol patted him on the shoulder before retreating to give him some space.

 

 

As the first light of dawn filtered into the shelter through its cracks, Aeri's eyes snapped open, her heart racing with fear. Memories of the chaos and danger from the previous day flooded her mind, leaving her gasping for air. But then, Baekhyun's reassuring touch on her shoulder steadied her and brought a sense of security to her trembling body.

 

"Aeri, it's okay. You're safe now," Baekhyun's voice cut through, his words a lifeline amidst the storm of her thoughts. He made sure she met his gaze so she could see the certainty in his eyes.

 

Aeri's eyes darted around the room, desperately searching for any sign that would prove this was just a dream. With hesitant fingers, she reached out, her hand trembling as it brushed against Baekhyun's. She struggled to come to terms with the harsh reality of her situation. Baekhyun's grip tightened around her hand, his touch anchoring her in the present moment.

 

"I'm right here, Aeri. You're not alone," Baekhyun's voice held a reassuring tone, but Aeri felt tears welling up in her eyes as she tried to process the overwhelming emotions crashing over her like a tidal wave. Baekhyun's steady presence offered her some solace in the darkness, yet a part of her couldn't shake the fear that it might all be too good to be true.

 

Baekhyun felt Aeri's trembling fingers against his palm, a silent plea for reassurance. With determination, he read her touch, intent on understanding her unspoken questions. With each gentle , Baekhyun's conviction grew. "We're in a settlement," he stated firmly, tracing his own fingers over her handwritten words. "You're safe here with me, Aeri. Trust me."

 

As the words lingered, Baekhyun hoped they would bring some measure of comfort to Aeri amidst the chaos of their situation. With hesitant movements, Aeri traced the words Thank You onto Baekhyun's palm, her touch conveying both gratitude and determination. Each stirred a sense of appreciation within him, resonating with the depth of her thanks. As he witnessed her silent expression of gratitude, Baekhyun felt a surge of respect and admiration for her resilience, strengthening their bond.

 

Baekhyun's voice softened, carrying a warmth that melted away the chill of uncertainty. "I promised I'd come back for you," he said gently, a reassuring smile playing at the corners of his lips.

 

Aeri's shoulders slumped as she remembered what had happened the previous night. She couldn't help but feel guilty, her features shadowed with remorse for the man who had threatened her safety. Baekhyun's heart ached at the sight of Aeri's troubled expression, as if he knows exactly what it is she remembered. He reached out and gently lifted her chin, meeting her gaze with complete understanding. "You did what you needed to do," he said softly, his voice a calming balm for her troubled mind. "There's no reason for you to feel guilty, Aeri."

 

His words were sincere and filled with empathy, an attempt to alleviate the weight of regret that burdened her. Aeri's eyes glistened with un

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter