Chapter 3

39 Days After
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

DAY 5

 

Silence engulfed the shelter as the monsters momentarily ceased their relentless assault. It was a rare respite from the chaos that allowed Baekhyun and the woman a chance to steal a fleeting moment of rest. They sat side by side, leaning against the cold stone walls, their bodies close but not touching. Baekhyun's gaze never wavered from the entrance, his posture tense yet protective, as if shielding her from any imminent danger. Despite the turmoil surrounding them, his presence offered her a sense of security amidst the uncertainty of their situation.
 

In the hush of the passing hours, the world around them descended into profound silence, a familiar stillness that always settled in by the fifth day. Despite the unsettling calm, the woman felt a gnawing sense of unease as she stood up to look for something edible. In the tranquility, Baekhyun's hand found her shoulder, a gentle but firm presence. "Allow me," he murmured, his voice a soothing reassurance amidst the eerie serenity that surrounded them.


Her gaze fell upon Baekhyun's injured shoulder, a silent reminder of his ongoing recovery. Her eyes softened with concern, conveying a wordless plea for him to refrain from exerting himself. 
 

As the woman's concerned gaze lingered on his injured shoulder, Baekhyun felt a twinge of discomfort, both physical and emotional. He understood what she was trying to convey, but it stung his pride nonetheless. With a subtle shift in his demeanor, he straightened his posture, his expression firm yet tinged with a hint of defiance.

 

"I appreciate your concern," he began, his voice measured but tinged with stubborn resolve. "But trust me, I've been through much worse than this. I can handle it." Despite his attempt to reassure her, there was a vulnerability in his eyes, a silent acknowledgment of the toll his injuries had taken on him.
 

She scooted over to the tiny kitchen, if it could even be called that, the cramped space barely accommodating both of them. Despite her apprehension, she sensed Baekhyun wouldn't take no for an answer. However, she was equally stubborn, unwilling to let him shoulder the task of making breakfast alone. As they navigated the limited counter space, their sides brushed against each other, a subtle yet comforting reminder of their closeness. 

 

As they worked side by side in the confined kitchen, Baekhyun couldn't help but find it amusing just how small she appeared beside him. With a faint chuckle escaping his lips, he glanced down at her, a playful twinkle in his eyes.


Internally, he paused, questioning why such a small thing brought him amusement.

 

Baekhyun and the woman settled down on the floor to share their humble meal. The cramped confines of the shelter left them with little choice but to make do with what little space they had.

 

Just then, sudden rumble echoed through the shelter, causing the woman to tense up slightly in panic. Sensing her unease, Baekhyun's expression hardened into a mask of determination. He reached out and gently touched her hand, his grip firm yet reassuring, as if to convey that he was there beside her, steadfast and unwavering.

 

To distract the woman from the unsettling noise, Baekhyun cleared his throat and asked, “Do you always go into the city to scavenge for food alone?” His voice was calm but concerned, his eyes searching hers for any signs of discomfort.

 

As Baekhyun awaited her response, the woman met his gaze with a solemn nod, confirming his suspicion. A surge of inner turmoil swept through him as he processed the gravity of her actions. He knew all too well the dangers lurking in the city—the treacherous lair of the Mossclaw and the ruthless de

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter