Episode 10: Brazil and Abu Dhabi (Final)

I'M LOSING THE REARS
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

🏁

 

ABU DHABI



 

Seungwan wipes the sweat off her face for the millionth time, she didn't know Abu Dhabi was going to be this hot this year. She feels like a fish out of water, standing far away from her team celebrating her teammates' world championship and their constructors championship.

 

This was all too unfamiliar, she felt out of place because she couldn't paint herself in the colours it was required to feel like she was a part of a team. It's baffling cause she has won championships in the rookie division too, got herself drenched in champagne too, even got carried on the mechanics shoulders. All of this shouldn't feel this new to her but for some reason it does.

 

Honestly, she didn't even feel bad, her rookie season has been nothing short of a disaster, her teammate alone carried them in both championships, hypothetically speaking those two championships do belong to her teammate only.

 

Sitting on the side of the track, watching the mechanics shower each other with champagne and in the middle of them stands the star of the show drenched in champagne, Bae Joohyun stands out even if she is surrounded by many.

 

Subconsciously, a soft smile appears on her lips, her teammate is always beautiful but there is something about her smiling like she's on the top of the world which makes her look like a goddess, the most beautiful goddess she has ever laid her eyes on.

 

So, that's what she does the whole time the team celebrates on the track, admires her teammate from afar.

 

“It took a while to find you, rookie,” she flinches and turns around to see her teammate catching her breath. Seungwan found the celebration a little suffocating, so after finishing her meal she skipped alcohol and made her way to the rooftop to relax.

 

“Joohyun unnie,” she mutters awkwardly, they are still not that close for her to drop the honorifics, “You should be downstairs, celebrating.”

 

The older girl shrugs and strides towards her until she's right beside her, “I’m here to take last component that'll make the incomplete celebrations feel complete, ” her teammate muses, voice slurring a bit, telling her that the older girl has been drinking more than her body can handle and it's starting to show its effects.

 

“I don't think my absence will be even noticed by anyone,” she pouts, “You should go on without me.”

 

“I wouldn't be here if your absence didn't bug me,” Joohyun stretches her hands and sits beside her, despite getting changed into comfortable clothes for the dinner party the winner's medal still hangs around her neck, it makes Seungwan giggle a little.

 

Closing her eyes, she takes a deep breath, letting the breeze hit her face, she feels sleepy in her teammate’s company for some reason. It's always been like this and she can't comprehend the reason behind it.

 

“So, are you going to tell me what's bothering you?”

 

“It’s…nothing, just some stupid thoughts.”

 

Seungwan clenches her left fist tightly, feeling her teammates hands on her shoulders, squeezing the skin underneath. She doesn't want to flinch and give her teammate a rude impression or anything like that, it's just that her body jitters whenever Joohyun touches her.

 

“I don't think they are nothing if you're affected by them,” Joohyun's voice is soft, like honey and it feels like she'll melt if the older girl keeps talking to her in such a gentle tone, “Mind sharing them with me, maybe we can get to the root of the problem.”

 

She takes a huge breath and then slouches her shoulder, sparing her teammate a shy glance before she looks down, “I just don't think I am a part of this team, at least not fully. For some reason, I can't seem to connect with the team and I know it's probably natural since I am new to them and they are new to me but it bugs me.”

 

“Is anyone bothering you?” There is an unfamiliar roughness in Joohyun's voice and it tingles her ears with the way there is a demanding tone to her question.

 

“No…no,” feeling like the older girl might actually do something, she raises her hands, shaking them to tell her that  it's nothing like that, “It’s not that. I just feel like I’m not worthy enough to be a part of this team.”

 

“Not worthy,” Joohyun chuckles, slapping her back softly, “Teams were fighting to sign you Seungwan, I think that counts for something.”

 

“But I haven't done anything to prove if all that fighting over me was worth it. I don't think the other teams would've been happy if I gave them a P7 in the championship. Why am I even talking about other teams, I don't even think people here are happy about me being this down in the championship. If we are constructors' champions, it's because of you, not me,” she sighs, burying her face in her palms.

 

“To be top 10 in your rookie season is a commendable achievement and I don't think if we take out the points you secured for the team we'll still be world champions,” Joohyun's hands are cold when she grabs her palms and removes them from her face, keeping them in her grasp even when Seungwan looks up.

 

“We are world champions. Bae Joohyun and Son Seungwan are the reason Mercedes are world champions, you hear that,” she isn't sure where she's supposed to focus at, those warm eyes or the fingers that are drawing random patterns on her hands, “One day you'll be a driver's world champion too.”

 

“I don't think it's possible,” she mumbles with no confidence.

 

“It is!” The older girl exclaims, “You’ll be a world champion, just wait and watch. I'll make you one.”

 

“I think I would prefer helping you win more instead.”

 

“That too…..but one day you'll be a world champion, I just know.”

 

Seungwan gasps when she feels a small weight on her neck, the older girl took off her medal and put it around her neck. She grabs it, feeling the material underneath her fingers as she looks confused as to why the older girl would give her that, “I can't take it…this is yours.”

 

“Keep it. In return when you become a world champion you have to give me the medal you win in that race. Consider this medal as a loan and the only way to pay it back is to win the world championship,” Joohyun gets up, raising her arms in the air before she tugs her shirt forcing her to stand.

 

“Now come on!” She gets up as Joohyun latches on her back, making her carry her on her back, “I have been saving this beer combination for the past hour for you.”

 

“You know I don't like to drink.”

 

“Well, tonight you have to because it's my wish…won't you do it for me.”

 

“Anything for you.”

 

🏁

 

“Here we go! The last Q3 of this Formula One season is underway, the drama that has been the part of this entire season through every race is a part of this one too. RedBull must be considered that Silverstone crash a blessing in disguise now, that crash forced them to change their components resulting in grid penalties in Hungary, but that also reset their component allocation count. So, Son Seungwan gets no grid penalty for changing her car parts on the other hand Mercedes have no choice but to change Bae Joohyun's power unit because it was left damaged after the crash that'll result in a five place grid penalty. It's a tricky situation for the championship leader who only has a 9 point advantage over her championship rival but we know that the combo of that Mercedes and Bae Joohyun is a lethal one, the driver has won several races starting out of top ten, there is no doubt she'll have her eyes on the top step as always.”

 

The anticipation in her body was palpable as the last qualifying session, Q3, began. All that hard work to rush her recovery for this moment, one of the last steps of the staircase that'll lead her to the goal.

 

Seungwan revved the engine of her Rb17, going out much earlier than she usually does during the Q3. Her first flying lap commenced with a thunderous acceleration, the G-forces still making her a little uncomfortable because of her recent crash. She spent the practice sessions to familiarise herself with it but every tug on her neck takes her back to the inside of that car in Brazil.

 

 As the first lap neared its conclusion, the pit crews monitored their driver's performance with keen eyes. The radio crackled to life, the team engineer providing crucial information about sector times and competitors. “Seungwan, your softs are in good shape. I'd reckon to fire them up during the next lap. We can go all out during the last lap,” she acknowledges the update with a determined nod, adjusting her steering wheel settings for the upcoming laps.

 

The second lap was more of a half banker, going fast yet changing lines at certain parts to get her tires running, putting a time enough to be P2 comfortably but she's not here to be P2, if she's on the track she's not settling for anything other than a P1.

 

Approaching the final lap of qualifying, Seungwan decided to do something that's really rare coming from her during the qualifying, unleashing the full potential of her F1 machine. The pressure was on as she aimed to claim the pole position, knowing that every fraction of a second counted. The grandstands erupted in cheers as spectators sensed the intensity of the moment as she approached the last turn of the track to start her lap.

 

She tightens her grip on the steering wheel, her fingers still stinging a little from the burns she suffered. She could feel the cockpit heating up from the tense atmosphere as she crossed the white line to start her lap.

 

The competition was fierce this time around with Ferrari drivers doing their outlaps, trailing closely behind with promising pace, the Mercedes were ahead of her already halfway through their Q3 laps. Seungwan could sense their determination and desperation to outclass Red Bull and give them no chance for the championship on Sunday, but she remained focused on the task at hand – claiming the pole position. The Q3 performance had been exemplary, but the final lap would be the ultimate test.

 

As the RB17 car sped down the straightaway, she mentally mapped out the lines she would take in the upcoming corners. Each one posed a unique challenge, demanding a perfect blend of speed and control. The tire's grip on the asphalt became paramount, exactly what Sana wanted from her and the result was her getting fast exits out of turns, something they were lacking a little in the previous laps.

 

Approaching the hairpin turn, she finally fixes one thing she has been doing wrong, instead of braking early she brakes when the front wing of the car points directly at the hairpin, the car's aerodynamics shifting seamlessly as she navigates it through the tight bend with great precision. 

 

The second-to-last turn loomed ahead, a sweeping curve that required finesse. Seungwan downshiftes, feeling the throttle surge engine's power as the car huggs the racing line. The turbulent air buffeted the car, but her focus remained unbroken. 

 

The final straightaway came into view, and the chequered flag fluttered in the distance. Seungwan knew this was her moment to shine, to unleash her throttle to its full potential. The engine roared as she unleashed its full power, hurtling toward the finish line. With the chequered flag in sight, Rb17 crossed the finish line in a blaze of speed, “That is pole mate!”

 

The crowd erupted in cheers, the deafening roar of approval echoing through the air. The team's pit crew celebrated in unison, their faces beaming with pride. Seungwan exhales, a mixture of exhaustion and elation settling in.

 

The outlap was a triumphant procession, the car weaving gracefully around the track. Seungwan acknowledged the crowd with a raised fist, showing them a thumbs up before she unbuckled her seat belt, something she couldn't do just two weeks ago and jumped out of the car as she ran towards the mechanics, the adrenaline still coursing through their veins. 

 

“You gave us a scare back in Brazil. It's good to see you back on top. Any thoughts about that qualifying session?” Doyoung pats her shoulder as they stand in front of the screen displaying her pole lap.

 

“Yeah…It’s a scary sport, lots of things on the line. I am glad to be here and racing again, all credit goes to everyone that helped in the last two weeks—The qualifying was a little tricky with the tire temperatures and the track temperature, but we saved up our softs for Q3 only and the gamble paid off, so credits to the pitwall,” she answers, looking around to wave at the fans on the grandstands.

 

“I’ll keep it short. Just one last question. Is the championship charge on?” Doyoung questions.

 

“We are ready for tomorrow and prepared for everything that'll be thrown our way. It's too early to say anything but I’ll do anything in my power to give my all…it's a promise I made and I am keen on fulfilling it,” she replies confidently, handing the mic back to Doyoung before she dashes out from the side holding eye contact with the Mercedes driver for a split second and disappears into the garage to avoid the media.

 

“I don't think you should finish the season,” Taeyeon mumbles, understandingly. The Red Bull team boss was also also a one time world champion with Red Bull, and came back as a team principal decades later because she wanted to bring back the team's glory days, “It’ll be cruel of us to put you through that much pressure after such a traumatic experience,” but putting her driver's wellbeing in the line for some short lived glory didn't sound that great to her.

 

“Taeyeon is right,” Sana slips in, backing the team principal, “Just look at yourself, this is your second visit to the hospital this season after a crash, it's fine to sit out and let things go by,” her race engineer reasons with a soft voice, “Sit the last race out. No one would blame you, not us, not them team, no one. You gave this team their best chance at a trophy after a decade of drought. I think you have done enough and it's time to look after yourself.”

 

With her eyes fixed to the door of her hospital room, Seungwan quietly proclaims, “I am racing.”

 

“But there is no need to race, think about yourself—”

 

“—I am thinking about myself and that is why I want to race.”

 

Removing her monotonous eyes from the door she shifts her head to lock eyes with her race engineer for a moment before she stares into her team principal’s soul, “I made a promise that I'll give my all and I am keeping it until I cross the line at Abu Dhabi to be P1,” the decision has been made and there is no power on Earth other than death that can undo it, “I have a weight on my neck that I want to get rid of. I don't care if you guys or the management doesn't allow me to race as long as I am breathing. I am taking part in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.”

 

“Welcome to the final pre-race conference of this Formula One season. Here we are gearing up for the final showdown for the championship between Bae Joohyun who is only nine points ahead of Son Seungwan heading to the final race.”

 

That was a whole thirty minutes ago, and now she could feel her back hurting a little because the conference was becoming longer and longer with no signs of stopping and the exhaustion and adrenaline was making it hard for her to focus. 

 

Keeping her eyes glued to the floor she just hopes this press conference ends but it can't just because she wants it to. She is sitting right across Joohyun and this time there is no third driver to accompany them, just the two of them for the final showdown. 

 

But she had mastered the art of pretending at the beginning of the season, keeping a straight face and looking straight into reporters eyes as they ask her questions after questions about Joohyun.

 

“Question for Seungwan. At any instance during the last two weeks did your team push you to recover to be fit enough in order to participate in this race?”

 

“It was quite the opposite actually. The day after the crash I was greeted by my team principal and my race engineer, both of them urging me to pull out of this race because they thought it was enough for the season. It was my decision to not end my season and participate in this race and with the exceptional work done by the team, I managed to do so.”

 

She has been answering the same questions for the past half an hour. It becomes hard after a couple of questions when you have to tell them the same thing in a different choice of words. For the past six or seven questions, she lost count how many, she has been just answering about her decision to participate in the final race of the season instead of sitting out and gifting the championship to her rival.

 

“Earlier this season, you refuted any claims of your rival visiting you the last time you crashed. Your thoughts on the one in Brazil?”

 

“Like I said previously, I wasn't made aware about the said visit and had no idea, based on my memory I answered what I thought was the best. As far as I am concerned about the Brazil crash, some private interactions were made with nothing but good intentions and I think me and my rival would both appreciate it if those interactions stay private.”

 

They go on for another fifteen minutes or so before the final question finally gets asked, it's a customary question asked before the conclusion of any title fight, she just never thought she'll get to answer it too in her career.

 

“What lies ahead for you two tomorrow? A record breaking fifth world championship for Bae Joohyun or Son Seungwan being the younger driver in history to win a world championship.”

 

“P1. That's the only goal for tomorrow,” Joohyun answers confidently.

 

“Taking the chequered flag first is the only thing that matters for me tomorrow,” Seungwan announces.

 

“Well, that is a wrap for the pre race conference for this Formula One season. We are in one of the greatest showdowns with the championship still up for grabs. Ladies thank you for your time and good luck for tomorrow.”

 

She turns to face the trophy as well as Joohyun, they lock eyes while the press in the back snaps pictures of them with the trophy. She doesn't know what's going inside her mind but in those few seconds she feels the entire season run through her eyes before it stops at that crash and then it's nothing but emptiness.

 

“Good luck for tomorrow.”

 

Seungwan accepts Joohyun's hand and shakes it gently, maintaining her poker face.

 

“Good luck to you too.”

 

They bow to each other for some seconds before making their way outside from the separate exits of the room.

 

🏁

 

Tossing and turning, feeling her stomach churn and her bed feel warmer than usual, a frustrated attempt to get some sleep meets its demise as Seungwan opens her eyes with a sigh.

 

How did she even assure herself that she was going to find the entire night, when her entire being is just thinking about tomorrow. Being calm was never her strong point, even when a certain someone tried to influence her it didn't work, she feels too much and sometimes it's a pain in the .

 

Running her fingers through her hair, she sits up looking to her side to take a glance at the time on her phone, shoulders dropping when she sees that it's past midnight and she has to be at a team meeting at nine before heading to the paddock.

 

“Should’ve brought some alcohol,” she mumbles to herself as she gets up thinking she'll grab a light drink from the bar to get herself tipsy enough to sleep only to realise that she's in Abu Dhabi and there is no bar in the hotel she's staying.

 

Sleeping pills aren't an option because of the dope tests and all the regulations surrounding them. Her only choice is to be either restless the entire night that'll affect her performance the next day or think of a way to calm these nerves down and get some much needed rest.

 

Just when all hope is lost, a memory runs through her mind.

 

“So now you come to me,” Joohyun huffs in annoyance, raising her right eyebrow while staring down on an equally frustrated Seungwan.

 

“I can't sleep unnie,” Seungwan pouts, closing the door behind her as she makes herself comfortable in Joohyun's room.

 

“And you think coming to me will solve that?” Feeling a little cocky, Joohyun opts for a bit of sarcasm as she pushes down the younger girl making her sit on her bed, “I thought me talking about cars all the time bored you.”

 

“It still does,” she mutters, “But I feel sleepy when I am around you, so I thought coming to you might help calm these nerves down.”

 

“Why are you nervous?”

 

“Unnie you won the championship way back in Suzuka, of course you're relaxed. Meanwhile, I have to stress about securing P2 tomorrow to be P3 in the championship.”

 

Seungwan lets out a sigh, dragging herself to the headboard of the bed to lean her back against before looking at the older girl with hope that she'll know something that'll help her.

 

“We can cuddle—”

 

“—I think coming here was a mistake.”

 

Before she could get up, the older girl launches herself on her, stopping her from moving as she breaks into a fit of laughter, “Okay, I'm sorry for joking around.” It takes Joohyun some time to fully stop laughing while she makes herself comfortable on top of her, “I can get you something

Please log in to read the full chapter