Chapter 2

Tails of Gumiho

Mrs. Lee looked at Bora who was asleep in the back of the car. She turned her attention back to the road ahead of them. She fiddled with her fingers as her husband reached his hand over and clasped her hand. He gave it a squeeze and she looked over at him.

“Do you think it will work? For God’s sake, we’re christians.” Mr. Lee said.

“We are not going against our religion, we’re just finding another alternative.” Mrs. Lee said.

“This is ridiculous, we've gotten lost two times and the GPS says this place doesn't exist. I’ve looked at the map many times but it doesn't help.” Mr. Lee said.

Mr. Lee looked around and the sun was setting but they still hadn't reached their destination. The map they got from a random lady didn’t seem to be right either.

“It’s okay, let’s just keep going down this road.” Mrs. Lee said.

“Do you think it will work?” Mr. Lee asked.

Mr. Lee took a quick glance at her before turning back to the road. Mrs. Lee looked down at her lap, she was also at a dead end too. The only reason she was even doing this was because when she actually found the person who the paper belonged to, Bora was not having nightmares as often. She was starting to turn back into her normal self and Mrs. Lee hoped it stayed this way.

“I would like it to work.” Mrs. Lee said.

They sat in silence as they continued their journey to the temple on the outskirts of town. Mr. Lee came to a stop and looked at the dirt roads up ahead. They were muddy with lots of potholes filled with water and he knew their car wouldn’t be able to make it up the hill. 

“I guess we have to walk the rest of the way there. I’ll grab Bora and we can head out.” Mr. Lee said.

Mrs. Lee got out of the car and grabbed her bag with the map as she met up with her husband on the other side of the car. He carried Bora with one arm and held his wife’s hand with the other. Mrs. Lee looked at the map and then they proceeded to walk down the road. They got to the end and they both looked at the map in their hands. To the right there were steps made out of stone which lead up the forest.

“You go ahead, I’ll walk behind you.” Mr. Lee said.

Mrs. Lee nodded and he followed after her. It got dark to the point they couldn’t see anything besides the white steps below them. When they reached the top, there was a small temple with a couple of lit bamboo sticks. There was a young lady who came out to greet them which surprised them.

“Hello, who are you here to see?” She asked.

“We’re here to see Madame Juwon.” Mrs. Lee said.

“I’m sorry to inform you but Madame Juwon was my grandmother. She passed away a few years back. It is only my parents and I who still run this temple.” She said. 

Mrs. Lee shook her head in disbelief, she didn’t come this far for nothing. She turned to her husband and she couldn’t stop herself from crying. Mr. Lee pulled her into his arms while looking at the young lady.

“I’m sorry but my wife really wanted to meet her. May she rest in peace.” Mr. Lee said.

“I’m sorry that you missed her.” She said.

The young lady had a look of sadness but she smiled and nodded her head. Mr. Lee turned his attention back to his wife and tried to calm her down.

“Shall we go home then?” Mr. Lee asked.

Mrs. Lee nodded her head as they were about to leave. The young lady called out to them.

“If it’s alright, would your family like to come in for some tea before leaving? It’s a bit far to get here so you should relax before returning.” She said.

Mr. Lee looked at his wife and then he turned back to the young lady. 

“If it’s alright, we’ll take a short break here and then return.” Mr. Lee said.

“Please come in, I’ll prepare some tea.” She said.

Mr. Lee held his wife’s hand and they followed the young lady into the temple. She led them into a room with a table and floor cushions. 

“I’ll be right back.” She said.

Mr. Lee placed Bora down on the floor and placed two seat cushions under her head. Mr. Lee turned to his wife who stopped crying.

“Are you alright?” He asked.

“She was our last chance.” She said.

“I know but there’s nothing we can do. She is gone from this world.” He said.

“I just want to wake up from this nightmare.” She said.

“I think as time goes by, Bora will get better. We just have to keep waiting and supporting her.” He said.

Mrs. Lee leaned against her husband and he rubbed her back to reassure her that everything was going to be alright. They sat in silence and lost in thought before the young lady came back.

“I’m sorry it took a while, my father woke up and thought we were being robbed.” She said.

“We’re sorry about the late arrival, we got lost on the way here.” Mrs. Lee said.

“It’s dark out there so I will take you back down with a light.” She said.

“It’s alright, we don’t want you to get into an accident as you come back up.” Mr. Lee said.

“Please have some tea.” She said.

She placed two cups of tea in front of them and one in front of her. She took a seat across from them. Mr. Lee was the first to drink the tea and he looked at the young lady.

“It’s the best tea I’ve ever had.” Mr. Lee said.

Mrs. Lee looked at her husband and then took a sip and she agreed with him. 

“Wow, it’s very good.” Mrs. Lee said.

“Yes, this tea has been in our family for generations now. We farm it on the other side of the forest.” She said.

They continued to drink the tea while the young lady didn’t have a single sip. They chatted for about thirty minutes before Mr. Lee started yawning and then he fell backwards asleep. Mrs. Lee tried to wake him up but it was no use. A few seconds later she started to get sleepy and then she laid down next to her husband. They fell asleep and the young lady turned her attention back to Bora. 

“It took a while but now they are asleep.” She said.

She picked up Bora and left the room. She walked down the hall and into another room where she saw the light that was on in the other room. She got on her knees and used one hand to knock on the door.

“Master, I have brought the girl.” She said.

The door slid open and inside was a beautiful man in a dark blue hanbok. Behind him were eight white fluffy tails that rested on the ground. He was sipping on tea and turned his attention to the Bora.

“Set her down.” He said.

“Yes master.” She said.

The young lady set Bora down on her back near the man. The man gazed at her and then looked at the young lady again.

“Leave.” He said.

The young lady bowed to the man and then she slid the door closed behind her. The man moved towards Bora and he turned her over. He lifted her shirt and on her back there was black ink that formed a tail. He pressed his hand on her back and the tail swished back and forth on her skin. 

“My, it’s been such a long time. We get to meet again, Younghee.” He laughed.

He pulled her shirt down and turned her onto her back. He grasped her face in his hand with claws extended out. 

“You better pray for mercy.” He said.

He let go of her face and stood up, he went to a small cabinet. He opened it and inside was a small box. He took it outside and sat by Bora’s side again. He opened the box and inside was a red beaded bracelet. He slipped it onto her wrist and let out a laugh.

“I kept it, like you said.” He said.

-------------------------------

Mrs. Lee woke up with a headache and found herself in the car. The sun was beginning to rise and the light made its way through the forest. She quickly turned her head to check for her husband and Bora. They were in their spots and then the small white fluff ball was next to Bora in the back seat. She noticed the open wind in the back and shook her head. She reached over to her husband and tried to wake him up. A few seconds later he woke up with a headache and turned to look at her and Bora.

“Where are we? What happened?” Mr. Lee asked.

“I was going to ask you that. I can’t remember what happened.” Mrs. Lee said.

“What is that next to Bora?” Mr. Lee asked.

“I think it might be a dog, the window is open. It must have come in while we were sleeping.” Mrs. Lee said.

“Should we take it out?” Mr. Lee asked.

Mrs. Lee saw that the pup had woken up and looked at them. Her heart softened at the pup and she shook her head.

“I feel bad for it, let’s take it with us.” Mrs. Lee said.

“Alright, we’ll do as you say.” Mr. Lee said.

Mr. Lee the car engine and drove while Mrs. Lee looked at the rear view mirror. She saw the pup lay its head back on Bora’s thigh and closed its eyes. Her heart softened at its action and she turned back to the road. The pup opened its eyes and looked at her parents then to Bora. He sat on her lap and curled into a ball with his head under her arm. 


I had some time so I updated. :D