Chapter 4

Tails of Gumiho

Bora woke up to a knocking sound and she turned around to see what was going on. Jeonghan was sitting next to her on the bed but he was blocking her view. Bora tried to sit up but felt a headache so she laid back down.

“Place it there.” Jeonghan said.

Hajoon came into Bora’s sight and they made eye contact. He smiled and she nodded her head at him. Hajoon closed the door behind him and Jeonghan turned his attention back to her.

“How are you feeling?” Jeonghan asked.

“My head hurts and my throat is feeling sore.” Bora said.

Jeonghan moved closer towards Bora, placing his hand on her forehead. He moved a few of her hair strands that were soaking with sweat out of her face.

“You’re having a fever.” Jeonghan said.

“My head feels heavy.” Bora said.

“Hajoon made some rice porridge. Have a small bite.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan pulled Bora up and laid her against the headboard. He reached back for the rice porridge and gave her a spoonful. Bora felt like throwing it up but she tried her best to swallow it. 

“Good girl.” Jeonghan said.

 Bora glared at him but he fed her another scoop. Bora felt something heavy on her lap and looked down. He had placed one of his tails on her lap and she placed both arms over it. She could feel the softness of his fur and the warmth made her cold hands feel hot.

“You’re gonna need a bath after this. You were sweating the entire night.” Jeonghan said.

Bora ate another scoop and she finished the whole bowl in ten minutes. Jeonghan used his hand to wipe while Bora tried to stop him. She glared at him because she hated when he treated her like a child. Jeonghan laughed at her expression and moved closer to her.

“This is the first time you’ve been docile in a long time.” Jeonghan said.

“I could have just wiped it myself.” Bora said.

“You haven’t even let me get close in the past few weeks.” Jeonghan said.

“I told you that I’ve been busy preparing for my exams.” Bora said.

Jeonghan got up and set the bowl down on the table. He turned to look at her and noticed how wet her hair was from her sweat.

“Alright, let’s get ready for that bath.” Jeonghan said.

 He entered the bathroom and ran the warm water in the tub. He came out and helped Bora onto her feet. He helped her to the bathroom and she took a seat on the toilet. 

“Can you do this by yourself?” Jeonghan asked.

“I’m not five? Ok.” Bora said.

Jeonghan laughed and closed the door behind him. He left his bedroom and went down the stairs to the living room. There was that woman who he hated the most, she was seated across from Hajoon who looked at him for help.

“Can you wash my bed sheets?” Jeonghan asked.

“Right away.” Hajoon said.

Hajoon stood up and walked past Jeonghan as the woman turned around and her face lit up as she saw Jeonghan. 

“Jeonghan.” She said.

“Get out of here, Seolhee.” Jeonghan said

“I came because my grandfather sent me.” Seolhee said.

Jeonghan took a seat across from her and crossed his legs. Seolhee opened her bag and handed him a medium size box. As he opened the box, his eyes turned back to Seolhee.

“Where did you find this?” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan pulled out the jade pendant and looked at the burnt purple tassel, the jade was white and carved into the shape of a crescent moon. At the bottom of the crescent, there was the same broken tip and the purple tassel was fading in color but the burnt strands was what made it real to him.

“Grandpa’s acquaintance had it in his possession.” Seolhee said.

Jeonghan placed it back into the box and turned his attention back to Seolhee.

“What does he want?” Jeonghan asked.

“Tea time next Friday at noon.” Seolhee said.

Jeonghan heard footsteps and he stood up to leave. Seolhee followed behind him and grabbed his wrist. Jeonghan snapped, glared at her with his red eyes as she let him go. He bared his canines at her with a growl. She grabbed onto his arm again which caused Jeonghan to push her away. She fell backwards and ended up on her bottom. Seolhee tilted to the side and rubbed her bottom.

“Touch me one more time and I will rip off your hand.” Jeonghan said.

Bora came towards Seolhee and helped her up onto her feet. Jeonghan hated her for doing that. Bora held Seolhee’s hand and looked at her with concern.

“Are you alright? Jeonghan can be rough like that at times.” Bora said.

“I’m sorry.” Seolhee said.

“Join us for lunch before you go home.” Bora said.

“I have overstayed my visit. I shall get going now.” Seolhee said.

“Let’s have lunch next time then.” Bora said.

“Alright.” Seolhee said.

Seolhee left through the front door without her bag. Bora was going to follow after her but Jeonghan hugged her from behind.

“You’re not feeling well. Why didn’t you stay in our room?” Jeonghan asked.

“I came out because I was hungry.” Bora said.

Jeonghan wrapped one of his tails around Bora’s hand and tried to calm her down.

“Why don’t we have lunch?” Jeonghan asked.

“I’m not hungry anymore. I have to get my things and go home.” Bora said.

Bora went up to the second floor and Jeonghan turned around. Hajoon, who was leaving the laundry room, came into his sight.

“Hajoon, take that bag to her. Lock the gates after she is gone.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan turned away and went up the stairs. Hajoon grabbed Seolhee’s bag and took it out to her car parked outside the gates. Hajoon knocked on the window, Seolhee opened it and Hajoon placed the bag on the seat. He was about to leave but what Seolhee said caught him off guard.

“One day, I’ll live in this house. You’re going to serve me, the master of this place sooner or later. Bora is just a mistress, she’s going to be gone sooner or later.” Seolhee said.

Hajoon couldn’t say anything and quickly closed the gate. He ran back inside and Seolhee glared at the gate.

“A one thousand year old gumiho. Let’s see how long it is before you beg me with your tails tucked under your legs.” Seolhee said.

Seolhee was frustrated and embarrassed by what Jeonghan did to her. Never has any man treated her the way Jeonghan did but she liked that about him. He wasn’t just some pushover wanting her for her money. She had never seen anyone so beautiful and just looking at his face made her day. He was a hard shell to crack and she told herself to be patient multiple times but she couldn’t take it anymore. She picked up her phone and dialed her dad. 

“What is it?” He asked.

“Bora’s here.” Seolhee said.

“No worries Princess. I told you to wait patiently, I’ll get rid of her.” He said.

“I can’t wait til she is gone.” Seolhee said.

“Once you marry him, our family will be powerful. No one can stand in our ways. Everyone will bow their heads to us and we’ll be at the top.” He said.

“I just can’t wait for him to crawl and beg me.” Seolhee said.

“That’s right Princess.” He said.

“I’ll see you later.” Seolhee said.

“Have some fun and cool down.” He said.

Seolhee hung up and turned her head to look at the gate again. She swore in her heart that once she conquered Jeonghan. She was going to put a luxury chain around his neck. That thought excited her.

----------------------------------

Hajoon was waiting at the entrance with a lunch box and Bora greeted him.

“Master Jeonghan told me to walk you to the bus.” Hajoon said.

“I’ll be fine.” Bora said.

“I know you will but I also worry about you.” Hajoon said.

Bora nodded her head and Hajoon followed behind her. They walked side by side as Hajoon nervously fiddled with the lunch box in his hands.

“Lately, you haven’t come around. Master hasn’t been sleeping. He’s a bit on edge these days.” Hajoon said.

“I’m not the one telling him not to sleep.” Bora said.

“I know it’s stepping over the line but couldn’t you just be nicer to master like how it was before.” Hajoon said.

Bora stopped walking and she turned to look at him. She was already annoyed with Jeonghan and now Hajoon too.

“You’ve been drawing a line since Elder Kim told you too.” Hajoon said.

Bora placed a hand on Hajoon’s shoulder and looked him in the eyes.

“I think it was about time to draw the line. Elder Kim just helped me realize that. Jeonghan will marry Seolhee, she’s like 5% gumiho. They need to continue their fox clan and for me, I need to live my life.” Bora said.

“But you know Master Jeonghan likes you a lot.” Hajoon said.

“Jeonghan likes me as a friend, well more like a play thing. He’s going to get bored of me sooner or later. It’s bound to happen.” Bora said.

“Master Jeonghan doesn't like Seolhee. I don’t like her either. She scares me. Just today she…”

“Hajoon, it doesn't matter who he likes or not. He has his duty and I have my duty. One day, I’m going to move to the big city and live my life there. I’m going to work and make money and do whatever my heart desires.” Bora said.

Hajoon didn’t like the thought of Bora leaving ether because she was his friend and his master’s lover. 

“Why can’t you just stay here?” Hajoon asked.

“I don’t want to be here.” Bora said.

“Is it because this place is filled with memories of Master Jeonghan?” Hajoon asked.

Bora’s face scrunched up at what he said. She knew he wasn’t wrong about that but also she couldn’t keep depending on Jeonghan. They both had their own lives to live and she was destined for greater things.

“If Master Jeonghan gets married to Seolhee, will you stay and not leave?” Hajoon asked.

“Even if they get married, I’m not going to be here. I’m going away to college. If I have time, I’ll probably come back during the holidays. I’ll visit you and Jeonghan along with Soelhee. Maybe by the time I come back, they’ll have kids who I can play with.” Bora said.

The thought of Jeonghan being a dad scared her. He didn’t seem like a father but the way he treated her when she was sick was good enough for her to think he could do the same to his children. 

“Master Jeonghan is never going to marry that witch.” Hajoon said.

“I know that Seolhee acts differently when I’m around. She feels insecure about me being around all the time but no matter how much I tell her not to worry. She gets scared and has to put on a show.” Bora said.

They arrive at the bus stop and Hajoon hands the lunch box over to her.

“Eat it at the library.” Hajoon said.

Bora looked at Hajoon and saw that he wasn’t that bad looking. He was a couple years older than her but he was able to do things she couldn’t do. She couldn’t cook, didn’t know how to clean, and worst of all she didn’t act like a woman.

“Do you want to marry me?” Bora asked.

Hajoon blushed at her words and then stepped back from her.

“Master says that you’re forbidden from saying things like that to me.” Hajoon said.

“You can cook, clean and be a better woman than me. It’s a pity that I can’t do any of the things you do.” Bora said.

Bora reached out her hand and held Hajoon’s hand. She looked up at him and smiled.

“Marry me so I can take you to the big city with me. I’ll treat you well.” Bora said.

“Don’t say that, Master is always nearby.” Hajoon said.

“I won’t let you work and I’ll do all the earning. You can stay at home, raise our kids.” Bora chuckled.

Jeonghan appeared and yanked Bora’s hand away. Jeonghan glared at Hajoon who looked away.

“Go home.” Jeonghan said.

Hajoon bowed to Jeonghan and then quickly left. Jeonghan turned his attention back to Bora who stared at the spot Hajoon was at.

“You said you were going home but you’re here flirting with Hajoon.” Jeonghan said.

“I’m not flirting. We’re just talking about our future.” Bora said.

“I had to make sure you went home and not to the study academy.” Jeonghan said.

“I’ve decided to go home now.” Bora said.

Bora turned away from him and looked out at the street to see if the bus was coming. She felt Jeonghan’s hand on her wrist and she turned to look at him.

“Can we talk?” Jeonghan asked.

With no sight of the bus nearing, she took one deep breath. She turned from the bus stop and he followed behind without letting her hand go. She took them to the nearest park and took a seat on the bench. There were children running around and playing on the playground. 

“What’s on your mind?” Jeonghan asked.

“A lot of things.” Bora said.

Jeonghan hated when she didn’t look at him because he knew she was mad at him. He placed his hand on her chin and turned her around to look at him. Bora stared into his eyes and Jeonghan could feel that she was hurt. 

“If you don’t tell me how you’re feeling then how will I know what’s on your mind?” Jeonghan asked.

“Han… there’s so many things going on in my head. From my college entrance test scores to you.” Bora said.

“Why am I a problem?” Jeonghan asked.

“You haven’t given…”

“Given you what?” Jeonghan asked.

“I just need some space. My parents are on my back about doing well on my entrance exams and then there is you. You’re not letting me have some space either. You were never this clingy, I feel suffocated.” Bora said.

Bora could see that Jeonghan was hurt from what she said but she was not going to take it back. He hurt her a lot by crossing her boundaries and not listening to her when she wanted him too. She was tired of fighting and got numb. 

“I understand.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan tried not to sound sad and he held both her hands in his. He looked her in the eyes and smiled the pain away.

“You do?” Bora asked.

“Yes, I know you're stressed from studying. I also realized that I have been annoying and clingy lately because you haven’t come around as you used to. I’m sorry.” Jeonghan said.

Bora removed his hands and leaned forward to wrap her arms around Jeonghan. 

“I'm sorry too. I promise when this is all over we can go wherever you want to go. Do what you want to do and eat what you would like to eat.” Bora said.

Jeonghan wrapped his arms around her and leaned his head on hers. He rubbed her back and tried to comfort her.

“Yes, we have all the time in the world after you’re done with your exams.” Jeonghan said.

“I promise this time.” Bora said.


It's been a while since I've updated.

Look foreward to more updates. <3