Chapter 3

Tails of Gumiho

-10 years later-

 

Bora rolled over in bed and tugged on the blanket. It didn’t budge but she felt something soft on her leg. She groaned in annoyance and sat up, scratching her head with one hand and using the other one to shake Jeonghan.

“Jeonghan, wake up.” Bora said.

Jeonghan opened his eyes and then one tail wrapped itself around her thigh and another one was sliding up and down on her leg as the others covered his chest. 

“Really.” Bora said.

“I missed you.” Jeonghan said.

Bora tried to pry his tails away but it was no use. He looked at her and she pointed to her leg which made him wrap the other tails around her. She fell backwards and Jeonghan used one arm to prop his head up to look at her.

“Seriously!” Bora yelled.

One of his tails covered and she looked at him annoyed. Jeonghan placed one finger over his lips to tell her to be quiet. 

“Your mom is downstairs but your dad is in the bathroom next door. We don’t want them to…”

Bora heard her mom calling for her and she was able to move her hand to cover Jeonghan’s mouth.

“Bora! Breakfast is ready! Wake your brother up!” Mrs. Lee yelled.

“Alright Mom!” Bora yelled.

Bora turned her attention back to Jeonghan who started to play with one of his tails. She was annoyed at him for the past week. She was in the middle of taking her finals for the fall semester. Jeonghan was never this clingy with her but she didn’t know what was wrong with him.

“What’s up? I told you that I’m busy this week until friday.” Bora said.

Bora unwrapped herself from Jeonghan’s tails but one refused to let go. Jeonghan played with his other tails.

“Jeonghan.” Bora said.

“You haven’t come to see me in a week. We’ve never been out of touch for this long.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan reached his hand over and grabbed her arm and gave it a tight squeeze.

“I told you that I have my finals on Thursday and friday. I’ll come over on Friday night.” Bora said.

Bora grabbed his hand which Jeonghan let go. Bora stood up and went to her closet while Jeonghan didn’t remove his eyes from her. She grabbed her towel as she was going to leave the room but turned back to him. Jeonghan got off the bed and came to her side, he got on his knees and looked up at her. His furry ears twitched at her and she knew what he wanted from her.

“Master.” Jeonghan said.

Bora let out a sigh and she rubbed his furry ears while Jeoghan turned his head and kissed her wrist. Bora tried to remove her hand but Jeonghan held on to it like she was going to disappear at any moment. 

“You better be gone when I get back from my shower.” Bora said.

“Yes master.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan slowly let go of her wrist and Bora wiped her hand on the back of her pajama. Jeonghan stared up at Bora who stared down at him. He smiled while showing his canines and wrapped his arms around her legs. He leaned his head on her thigh and Bora stood still.

“Master, I miss you so much.” Jeonghan said.

“Okay, okay. Now let me go.” Bora said.

Bora broke away from him and closed the door behind her. Jeonghan could hear Bora and her dad talking. Jeonghan went to lay down in her bed and grab her stuffed animal, Mr. Teddy. He wrapped his arms around it, took in her scent and wagged his tails in happiness. 

“Where did the time go? You used to cuddle my tails and fall asleep. You do whatever I want but now you're tired of me. I won’t let that happen ever. Only I can get tired of you.” Jeonghan said. 

Bora used to spoil him and do what he wanted but as she hit puberty, it was a whole different story but he liked that about her. She got stricter with him coming and going to her house. If he could, he wanted to live with her. He wanted to wake up next to her and go to bed with her. He didn’t want to let her out of his sight for even a second. 

“You’re mine.” Jeonghan said.

It’s been ten years since he found her but it felt like yesterday to him. He sat up at the sound of the water stopping. He looked at the door waiting for her to come in. When Bora made eye contact with Jeonghan, she immediately closed the door. 

“What are you still doing here?” Bora asked.

“I just wanted to spend a few more minutes with you.” Jeonghan said.

“Turn around now.” Bora said.

“It’s not like I never saw you .” Jeonghan said.

“Shut up!” Bora yelled.

Jeonghan turned around and faced the wall as Bora got dressed. Bora hung her towel on the hook of her door. She looked over and Jeonghan was still on her bed but his tails were wagging at her. Bora walked up to Jeonghan and pushed him down on the bed as she looked down at him.

“Didn’t I tell you that I wanted you gone? My family is home. I don’t want them to see you.” Bora said.

“They will never see me.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan sneakily wrapped one tail around her arm and pulled. Bora's face planted into his bare chest. Jeonghan wrapped his arms around her and .

“I didn’t know you wanted to touch me.” Jeonghan said.

Bora managed to break free from him and she glared at him. Jeonghan reached his hand out to grab her arm but she moved back. He knew he went too far but he wanted to see what she was going to do.

“Get out while I’m still nice.” Bora said.

Bora turned towards her desk and began packing her books into her backpack. Jeonghan was displeased with her answer towards him. He wanted her to give him attention but he knew she caught on.

“Master.” Jeonghan said.

Bora didn’t answer him so Jeonghan stood up and went to her side. He placed one hand on her shoulder and she brushed him off. Jeonghan fell down to his knees and wrapped his arms around her legs while yelling.

“I’m a bad person! Forgive me master! I just wanted some…”

Bora covered his mouth and glared at him. Jeonghan leaned into her touch while wagging his tails at her. 

“If you go home this instant, I will come and sleep over tomorrow.” Bora said.

Jeonghan nodded his head and looked up at her. 

“I’ll have Hajoon prepare some snacks and tea.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan stood up and wrapped his arms around Bora. Bora could feel one of his tails wrap around her hand. 

“I’m on my way now. You can’t break your promises.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan let go of her and then went to her window. He slid it open and waved to her before jumping out. Bora took a seat at her desk while letting out a sigh. Jeonghan was becoming harder to tame by the day. That little white dog she thought she was raising became a gumiho a few years ago. She hated the fact that he wouldn’t leave her alone, he was so attention starved. She remembered that she was able to tame him a few years ago but somehow he didn’t turn out how she wanted him to be. Bora just wanted to live her own life from Jeonghan but he was making it difficult. His temper got even worse from that incident over the summer.

 

Bora held Jeonghan’s hand as he was walking her home. They got to the corner of her block and she stopped walking. Jeonghan turned his attention to her. He saw her with her head down and bent down to her level.

“What’s wrong?” Jeonghan asked.

“I… I…”

“Come on, you can say it.” Jeonghan said.

Bora lifted her head up and looked Jeonghan in the eyes. He placed a hand on her cheek but she pushed his hand away, scared of how he was going to react to her.

“That’s not nice.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan smiled and tried to touch her again but Bora moved away while fidgeting with her fingers. 

“Can we just live our own separate lives now?” Bora said.

The look on Jeonghan’s face made her scared because he didn’t stop smiling at her. The corner of his lips were twitching and his eyes turned red as he looked at her.

“Why do you want to do that?” Jeonghan asked.

“Isn’t it time that we separate now? I have to live my own life and you have your own life to live too.” Bora said.

Jeonghan came to her side and pulled her into his embrace. She could feel his tails wrap around her and tighten. 

“I don’t think I want to let go of you. You’re my friend, the only friend I have.” Jeonghan said.

Bora could feel him shaking but she wanted to be strong about her decision. She decided it was best to let things go. They could no longer be friends since they were too different.

“Is it because you're tired of me now?” Jeonghan asked.

Bora shook her head and Jeonghan held her face. 

“Why do you want to let me go?” Jeonghan asked.

“I think it’s best since I’m human and you're not. I don’t live forever and I want to do many things before I die. To you, I’m just passing the time you have. Isn’t it better that we end things this way.” Bora said.

“Who told you this?” Jeonghan asked.

Bora didn’t speak but he knew who it was, that old man.

“Did he say for you to let me go?” Jeonghan asked.

Bora turned away from him, Jeonghan felt his anger rise.

“I told you that if he threatens you then I will kill him.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan let go of her and as he walked away Bora ran after him. She wrapped her arms around him and they stood still.

“Don’t hurt him. Just forget everything I said.” Bora said.

“He hurt you, I’m not going to…”

“I lied to test you. He didn’t tell me to do anything.” Bora said.

Jeonghan turned around to face her and he saw that she was scared. Jeonghan bent to her level and looked at her face.

“Then are you still my friend?” Jeonghan asked.

Bora nodded and Jeonghan rubbed her cheek. 

“Don’t do that, you scared me.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan held her hand and tugged her after him. For the first time in a long time she felt scared of Jeonghan again.

----------------------

Mina waved to Bora as she closed the gate behind her. It was already 9pm and she couldn’t wait to get home to sleep. She turned the corner and spotted Jeonghan hiding behind a tree. His tails were practically waving at her while he stood still behind the tree. 

“Come out.” Bora said.

Jeonghan popped out and ran towards her. He held her hands and looked down at her. Bora rolled her eyes at him but Jeonghan leaned down and placed his face in the crook of her neck. 

“Are you tired? Let me walk you home.” Jeonghan said.

Jeonghan grabbed her bag and swung it over his shoulder. Bora didn’t fight him and walked after him. They waited for the bus to come and then got on. Jeonghan let her sit by the window and pulled her head to lay on his shoulder.

“Close your eyes, I’ll wake you when we get there.” Jeonghan said.

Bora stared up at his face while the bus moved. She closed her eyes and Jeonghan looked down at her. He felt her forehead and it was hot.

“You’re burning up.” Jeonghan said.

He knew she was going to get sick, she hadn't been taking care of herself in the past week. After a few minutes, he noticed that it was time to get off. He tried to wake Bora up but she wasn’t budging. He carried her in his arms and got off the bus. He placed her down on the bench and reached into her bag to grab her phone. He messaged her mom saying that she was going to sleep over at Mina’s house. Jeonghan put her phone in his pocket and carried her the rest of the way to their home.


(I don't know why my sentences at the end did not move over?)

Jeonghan is a bit of a yandere....

I'm okay with that...

I mean look at him!