Chapter 1

Tails of Gumiho

Thunder shook the ground while the rain hit the hospital glass windows like bullets. The sound didn’t matter as Mrs. Lee held her seven year old daughter, Bora’s hand tightly. It’s been three months since she was hit by a car in this same weather. They were hit on the side where Bora was sitting as the car tried to swerve out of the way. She only remembers waking up in the hospital next to her husband who held her hand. The news of Bora who was unconscious hit her next as her husband explained the accident. They don’t know when Bora would wake up since she was the one who was hit the hardest. It’s been a long three months and there have been no signs of brain activity happening. They both decided to let their daughter live until she gave out her last breath. Mrs. Lee wiped her tears at the thought of her daughter leaving this world before her. 

The rain was not stopping any time soon, Mrs. Lee placed her daughter’s hand down under the bed sheet. She stood up and stretched her body as she looked outside the windows. It was the same day like any other day, Mrs. Lee would sleep on the weekdays while her husband would sleep over on the weekends. Today was Friday and her husband was heading over to the hospital with breakfast. The sight of umbrellas moving down below while cars stopped at the red light. 

She felt a cold chill and turned around to her daughter. She reached her hand under the sheet and felt her daughter’s arms and legs. They were warm but she decided to head out of the room to find a nurse for more sheets. Mrs. Lee forgot to close the door behind her as she stepped outside. Mrs. Lee walked to the front desk at the other end of the hall. There was only one nurse there and she put in a request for more sheets before returning to her daughter’s room. 

As she walked down the hall she spotted that the door was left open, she thought her husband must have arrived. She walked into the room with a smile but instead there was a lady sitting there with her daughter who was awake. They turned their attention to her and Bora smiled at her. 

“Mommy.” She said,

“Bora!” Mrs. Lee yelled in joy.

Mrs. Lee ran to her daughter and wrapped her arms around Bora. It felt like a dream to her as she shed tears.

“Mommy, I’m okay.” Bora said as she patted her mom’s head.

Mrs. Lee looked up at the lady who looked at them. She didn’t know who this lady was as she was dressed in a modern hanbok style.

“Your daughter is quite a talker.” She said,

“I can’t believe she woke up. The doctors told me she would never wake up.” Mrs. Lee said.

The lady pulled two white strings out of her bag and tied a knot in the middle of the two strings. She tied it around Bora’s wrist and closed her eyes as she whispered something that Mrs. Lee couldn’t hear.

“I give her my blessing but when she is discharged she must seek out her master.” She said,

Mrs. Lee looked at the lady and tried to understand what she was talking about. The lady stood up and bowed to Mrs. Lee grabbed a yellow paper out from her bag. She handed it over as Mrs. Lee looked at the red writings.

“I’m sorry but we are christian.” Mrs. Lee said.

“I’m not telling you to go against your religion, I’m telling you the answer you want is in that paper.” She said,

The lady left the room while she turned her attention back to her daughter. She couldn’t believe her eyes and kissed Bora on the cheek. Bora laid her head on her mom’s chest, she breathed in her scent and it calmed her down. 

“I’m going to get the doctor, you stay here.” Mrs. Lee said.

Bora looked around the room while her mom left the room. Her eyes caught the yellow paper on the bed. She reached down to grab the paper by her foot and once she glanced at it she got scared. She closed her eyes and covered her ears while she screamed out in fear. Her mom returned to the room and there were blood drops on the bed sheet which made her look at Bora’s hands. There was nothing wrong with Bora but the yellow paper was dripping as if the ink had not set in yet. Mrs. Lee grabbed the paper and for a glimpse she saw eyes with blood dripping at the corners staring back at her. She quickly dropped the paper and wrapped her arms around Bora in fear. 

-----------------------------

Bora screamed in her sleep as her parents came dashing to her room in the middle of the night. Mr. Lee wrapped his arms around her and kissed her forehead. Mrs. Lee took a seat on her bed and rubbed her temples. It’s been two weeks since she was discharged but Bora kept having nightmares everyday. It’s starting to become a regular occurrence that they are both awake around two in the morning. 

“It’s okay, it's just a bad dream.” Mr. Lee said.

“No daddy, I saw the wolf running after me. It want’s to eat me. It bit my leg and scratched me.” Bora said.

They both noticed it was the same dream over and over again. This was haunting her each night and they couldn’t do anything. Mrs. Lee caught sight of something at the edge of the bed and she reached to grab it. She jumped out in fear as the same yellow paper with red ink was dripping from her hand. Mr. Lee looked at her and he grabbed the paper form her hand. 

“Why are you holding a piece of paper?” Mr. Lee asked.

“Don’t you feel it? It’s dripping ink.” Mrs. Lee said.

Mr. Lee held it up and rubbed the paper with his hand but it was dry to the touch and it was just a piece of white paper with nothing on it. He looked at his wife and let out a sigh.

“Are you having a nightmare right now too?” Mr. Lee asked.

“I’ve saw this paper since we got back home form the hospital.” Mrs. Lee said.

“It’s just a piece of white paper with nothing on it.” Mr. Lee said.

Mr. Lee stood up with Bora in his arms, he pulled his wife into his other arm. He kissed her temple and rubbed her back.

“Let’s go to sleep, it’s been a long two weeks.” He said.

Mrs. Lee nodded her head and held her husband’s hand as he led them to their bedroom. She laid down with Bora in between them. She wrapped one arm around Bora and then placed a kiss on her temple. She stared at her husband’s face as he slept, she felt too scared to sleep. She just wanted everything to go back to normal to how things were back then before the accident. She made up her mind and decided she was going to reach out for help with this problem. She knew the yellow paper was the answer that she had been waiting for all this time. 


It might be short but I will work harder from now on.

I'll update in a week or so...

Hwaiting! :)