Chapter 4: The Past is Catching Up

The Courier
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was a long day. Actually, the work at the bar was a bit short, as if time flew by instantly. Wooyoung never had this kind of fulfillment for an actual work since he came home winning first place at the Science contest when he was in 6th grade.

He came in, greeted Yeosang and Jongho, and went to the small spot of a bed Yeosang prepared for him by the glass window.

“What’s with him?” Jongho asked. He was used to Wooyoung being so loud and rumbling every time he came home, which made him look up a bit from his computer game.

“I don’t know,” Yeosang smirked, “But I bet, it’s either that or that.”

“What?”

“You know…either he had great or he fell in love.”

The two men looked over the counter and saw Wooyoung. He was smiling at the ceiling, giggling silently.

“Oh, no…” Yeosang’s eyes widened.

“Yeah, it’s the latter. He fell in love.” Jongho, as always in a monotone, replied.

Wooyoung didn’t even notice the two men looking at him. He was just…

Happy? Of course I’m happy, he said to himself, I have two jobs, I’m doing something good for myself, I chose these two jobs for myself. Of course, I’m happy.

Even so, when he turned towards the glass window and saw the night landscape, he giggled like a child who had done something wrong that doesn’t want to get caught.

He was undeniably thinking of San.

Those squinty eyes, that mysterious expression, those lips…

Aigoo, no, no, nope, he still said to himself, sitting on the makeshift bed. He shook his head and let out a sigh.

But he kept on giggling, forgetting that there are two people still looking at him. One of them just threw a computer mouse on his head.

“What the- OI, WHY ARE YOU LOOKING LIKE THAT?!”

“Oh nothing, don’t mind us, this is our condo unit, you are our dishonored guest, but it’s as if we don’t even exist while your mind is fleeting away to unicorns and clouds with hearts and flowers with whoever is making your heart fluttered.”

Wooyoung wasn’t even angry. Jongho was actually not entirely wrong, but then again, being a grown man, he wanted to retort. However, Yeosang was laughing his wits out as Jongho did say the whole thing without stopping for a breath.

“So, who’s the unlucky person, Wooyoung?”

“Huh, um…” Come to think of it, he never actually told these two that he had a new job which goes from 5am-11am, “I actually have another job.”

Yeosang and Jongho were in disbelief. They never thought Wooyoung to be the type of person to actually have a job, let alone two jobs immediately.

“Oh, that’s great!” Yeosang said as he gestured to Wooyoung to come and have dinner, “So where is it? What is it?”

“I got a job as a driver for a courier business.”

“Wait, wait, WHICH courier business?”

“Um, C. S. Cou-“

“OH NO, “ Yeosang stood and shook his head. Now, he is serious, “THAT courier business? Are you sure they are not doing courier business for their dealings?”

“No, no, actually, it’s not illegal,” Wooyoung immediately replied, “I even talked to the owner himself, Choi San, and I got a tour of their business company, and it has many trucks and all that with packages and stuff.”

“Aigoo, are you sure it’s not just a front?”

“Yeah, I’m sure, I actually met him and the other employees when they were at a business party at the bar.”

Yeosang just stood. His eyes looking at Wooyoung, who was slurping away his udon noodles.

“Make sure that there’s no funny business involved anymore at C.S. We know who the family Choi is.”

 

-0-

 

The swaying bamboo trees along the road, the stench of alcohol, and the swirling smoke surrounding the limousine. It was just perfect. San leaned towards Wooyoung, pushing his hair back, as the latter just leaned.

“Promise me, Wooyoung.”

“W-what is it?” Wooyoung said, flustered.

“Give me your loyalty.”

“Yes, yes I will.”

San was close.

Too close.

“OI WOOYOUNG YOUR ALARM IS GOING OFF FOR ALMOST AN HOUR!”

Wooyoung stood and froze. It was already 4:15 in the morning. He rushed to the drawer and put on his uniform for the day. He brushed his teeth, dropping some of his toothpaste to his shirt. He then rushed towards the shoe cabinet and wore his formal black shoes and went out.

He didn’t have any choice but grab a taxi. He looked at his phone and there was already 10 missed calls from San. He texted that he just got a taxi. The reply was simple.

“OK.”

Wooyoung groaned and told the taxi driver to be a bit faster. As he arrived, he looked at the clock on his phone.

“Alright, 4:50, good good.”

He entered the company and saw that the workers were already filling up the vans and trucks with packages and all.

“There you are,” San looked at him, but Wooyoung just blushed, “Do you have a fever? Your face is too red.”

“N-no, no, I just, um, I just-“

“Anyway. Let’s move on. Here is your partner. His name is Seonghwa. He will be your partner in terms of sending the packages.”

The guy beside the van was tall, with jet black hair. At first glance, Wooyoung thought that it was a girl, but when he spoke and introduced himself, a guy’s voice replied. He’s voice though was angelic and innocent.

“So, we will be together starting today. It’s nice that I have a good-looking partner for this.”

Wooyoung grinned widely, but saw San’s expression was not happy.

“Seonghwa, a word please.”

Please log in to read the full chapter