Chapter 1: New Life for Jung Wooyoung

The Courier
Please log in to read the full chapter

A new life for Jung Wooyoung.

Can this just all be a dream? He was so happy in what he had done. He has a scholarship at KAIST yet he didn't enroll. He was just fed up with the whole idea of being the perfect son. He's all set to become the next big thing in one of the top university in the country but, hey, it was time to think for himself.

The money that he had was enough for the whole year. He had decided to rent an apartment near Itaewon and just keep off the radar. Even so, being off the radar means to cut off all the connections that he have with his family. It was surprisingly easy.

"You are doing a great job, Wooyoung."

"You deserve this award! You're just the best there is in our hometown."

"Your sponsors will be very proud of you."

Sponsors.

Ever since they came to Ilsan, he was preoccupied in returning everything with his studies to these sponsors. Hell, these sponsors were indeed that what save his family from a horrible tragedy, but he was only six years old when all of that happened. Right now, at 21 years old, done with his military services for the country, he just wants to be alone and free.

Itaewon was an easy pick. Although it was just near Ilsan, it didn't make any difference. His family will never think of finding him here anyway. He was just wanted out.

"Uh, yeah," he scoffed, "I will be there."

Three months had passed, and he has not looked back. He made new friends like Yeosang from the billiards hall and diner, and Jungho, an aspiring singer who kept on failing his auditions because of nerves. He definitely made the right decision.

Except maybe for this one.

-0-

"Alright, bets are all in," the dealer said as he flips the cards to show the table. It wasn't even funny. Wooyoung had always bet all in and never lost. Even for this one which he only has a pair of Kings.

"Well, well, well," Wooyoung smiled, laughing that high-pitched laugh that his opponents hate, "I guess it is indeed one lucky night once again for Jung. Woo. Young."

He sipped his glass of whiskey and slammed it on the table.

"Oh, well then, let's raise 1.2 million won."

Wooyoung looked at the person beside him. He was not any other person he had seen before, but he knew that this knows poker.

"Oh, yeah, then let's raise it to 5 million won!"

At that, all the other players, frustrated, all folded.

"Make sure you can buy still another drink once we're done here. Raise to 11.9 million won."

The dealer, frantic, calmly asked for Wooyoung's bet. Wooyoung sniggered at the man beside him.

"Tsk, too bad, old man," Wooyoung gulped his glass in one go, "All in, Jay-san."

Jay then took all the chips to the center and looked at the man.

"All in, then." The man with a smile never looked away at Wooyoung, and so did he.

As the cards opened, the man had two Queens, Heart and Clubs while Wooyoung had the Queen of Diamonds and the Ace of Clubs.

It was certain.

The cards that the dealer showed were all spades, from the flop to the turn. The problem is the river. The Queen of Spades was there, with two Kings.

A full house.

"Well, it makes sense when you bet all in and you don't comprehend the game."

Wooyoung stood.

He didn't have any more chips. In fact, he doesn't have any more money.

He ran fast to the door, and looked around. People were flooding the area and he just don't have anything.

Not even a single cent to buy him

Please log in to read the full chapter