Breakup (They didn't even date)

Irene gives a second chance to Yeri
Please log in to read the full chapter

Irene stood near her desk, still trying to process everything that happened in her life during the past forty-eight hours. She felt as if someone had left her stranded in The Land of Thirst and Death, feeling like she was being strangled and then being drowned. She clutched the edge of the wooden desk tightly to support herself, because it truly felt like the earth below her feet was crumbling and it would consume her any second. 

 

She wanted to rip her ears out, that damn goodbye wouldn't stop echoing in her ears, it felt she was transferred back to that night, back to the moment when Wendy refused to look her as her voice cracked with each word that escaped from telling her in crystal clear words that she wouldn't be in her life anymore but she was too conceded to notice that, to notice her pleasing to her to think of a way so they can meet in the middle.

 

“I'm so ing dumb!” Irene cussed under her breath, finally joining the missing pieces of the puzzle. It all made sense, Wendy's disappearance, her condo suddenly looking too empty, her saying she'll regret not answering her. “She's surely not gone… surely not, ” muttering to herself she consoled herself and grabbed her tablet to go through the new CEO's schedule to figure out how quickly can she get off work and check on Wendy. 

 

The CEO seemed like she was trained unlike Wendy, probably with a working experience of a couple of years. She didn't require that much guiding and instead of being glad Irene was gloomy, sad that she'll never get to see those pouty lips and doe eyes that paid full attention to her as she explained the younger girl things she didn't know. 

 

She never knew a day would come where she would be dreading to work, it felt like even time wasn't on her side with the way it was passing so slowly. She had a job to do and she did by putting her heart aside for an entire day to focus on the work but the second the last meeting ended she didn't hesitate to grab all her stuff and rushed to the parking lot, dashing to her car so she can drive to Wendy's condo as soon as possible. 

 

“No…no,” she halted her steps upon seeing the place empty. It was of no use to ask the security guard because she could see the moving trucks right in front of her, filled with boxes. She brought up her phone and dialled Wendy's phone number as she got back inside her car, feeling her heart getting crushed again. 

 

“! Wendy for s sake, don't do this,” She slammed her hand on the steering wheel upon hearing that the younger girl's number is no longer in use. “I didn't mean putting an end to us like this!” She blinked trying her best to not tear up as Wendy's almost confession replayed in her mind.

 

Now, as the night enveloped her, Irene felt the weight of her indecision. Only if she knew at that time that Wendy would go through such lengths to make sure they never cross paths again, she longed to turn back time, to rewrite the story and be brave enough to seize the moment. It was as if the universe had conspired against both of them, reminding her of what could have been, teasing them with the tempting taste of what she had chosen to deny herself because she was too afraid of the outcome.

 

A gush of emotions flooded her soul, causing her heart to ache with a bittersweet longing. She sat on her bed holding onto the last thing that reminded her that there was someone who shook her entire world in just two weeks, the shirt the younger girl had lended her after their first night together. 

 

She couldn't shake the feeling that she had made a grave mistake, a mistake that could haunt her for a lifetime. The realisation of the potential she had ignored for the sake of their careers struck her with a sense of profound loss. 

 

“You're crying,” she looked up to see Yeri standing in the doorway of her room and touched her cheeks to find them moist indeed. “Did she hurt you?” Yeri asked and walked inside, wiping the tears off her cheeks.

 

“I hurt her,” Irene replayed the moments she had shared with Wendy, searching for an explanation to ease her guilt. She knew that she had valid reasons for her decision, reasons rooted in her own fears and uncertainties, their careers but as she tried to rationalise her choice, she knew it was of no match against the pain she had inflicted. “It felt the right thing to do…but I didn't know that the right choice would end up hurting me more.”

 

“It's my fault, if I didn't drag you with me that night–” She shook her head and stopped Yeri because she could do anything for her to witness that night again instead of erasing it from her existence.

 

“I've never felt like this my entire life like I did during these two weeks…I don't think I would ever want to change that,” She hastily wiped the remaining tears on her cheeks and offered a sad smile. The guilt settled within her like a heavy fog, making her question herself, wondering if she had realised her feelings earlier instead of letting her fear and insecurities guide her actions. 

 

“You love her?” Yeri asked, as if she was contemplating something.

 

“Love? It's a strong word for something that barely lasted,” The weight of her guilt bore down on her, casting shadows on every thought regarding Wendy. “But to feel like this over something that barely lasted must mean something,” she never felt such a rush in her life like she did during the period she got involved with Wendy.

 

She patted Yeri's shoulder and assured her that she'll be fine by giving her shoulder a squeeze. “Don't beat yourself for it. Get some rest,” She muttered. “I'll be fine.”

 

It was an attempt to convince herself but it was easier said than done. Irene's heart ached for Wendy, knowing that their rejection would leave scars that might take time to heal. After all, she wasn't the one leaving behind everything. 

 

The week went by, the hours slipping away in a haze of yearning and longing. It made Irene realise that she couldn't ignore the truth any longer—she had fallen for Wendy and there was nothing she could do about it because it was too late…Wendy was gone.

 

She wondered if Wendy was feeling the same or even worse, if she too harboured unspoken desires and dreams of what their relationship could have been. Did she lie awake, her thoughts consumed by their shared moments, blaming herself for everything despite trying to give in? The thought of Wendy blaming herself, feeling as helpless and gloomy only deepened her despair.

 

The time slowly faded away, giving birth to new days–days filled without Wendy and she learned to go through them. She had learned the hard way that regret could be a harsh reminder of the importance of seizing the moment. The possibility of crossing paths with Wendy was unlikely but she still hoped that one day they'll meet again. 

 

(...)

 

“Good morning, Director Bae,” Irene looked up from her desk to see her secretary Karina beaming at her.

 

It came as a complete shock to her, finding a letter of promotion on her desk just six months after working with the CEO. Turns out the higher-ups were keeping an eye on her upon Chairman's recommendation and reached to a conclusion that her skills were too good for a secretary, promoting her to the role of an Executive Director seemed like serving justice to her skills. Almost a year later, she still can't get used to being called Director Bae instead of Secretary Bae, it's not like she minds being called the latter.

 

“There is a Board of Directors meeting this morning, around ten. The Chairman is also attending the meeting this time around,” announced Karina cheerfully, leaving her with no option but to nod with a soft smile resting on her lips. She knew that Karina was going to be her secretary the moment she witnessed her slamming the door in her own face during the last round of interviews. She could use someone like that to keep her energised during work.

 

“Is this regarding the development plans for the overseas resorts?” Opening the folder near her she started to go through the pages, giving her secretary time to rummage through the folder she was holding to confirm.

 

“I think so…” Karina trailed off. “I heard that it's not the main discussion of the meeting, there have been rumours about the Chairman making an announcement,” shared Karina.

 

“We'll see,” she commented. Looking up she saw her secretary mischievously smiling at her. Breaking into a small chuckle she shook her head, “What is it Karina?”

 

“Director Bae, do you think you'll go to the business gala this year?” Karina asked curiously.

 

“It depends on the Chairman because aside from The CEO of the company, he gets invitations from the gala organisers and distributes them among who he wants to represent the company there,” she explained.

 

“You'll surely get one, the Board absolutely loves you and I heard this year they are hosting an awarding ceremony at the gala too,” Karina boasted.

Please log in to read the full chapter