Wendy's just a baby (that's what Irene said)

Irene gives a second chance to Yeri
Please log in to read the full chapter

The sun was barely peeking through the translucent curtains, casting a soft golden glow across the room. In the middle of the bed was Wendy sleeping soundly.

 

The door to her room opened as Seulgi let herself in. She threw a quick glance at the clock before she eyed her sleeping best friend. Nodding to herself she walked outside and came back with a jug filled with cold water.

 

A mischievous grin appeared on her face once she positioned herself near the bed ready to wake her best friend up. Steadying herself Seulgi wasted no time in pouring the entire jug of icy water over her best friend.

 

In an instant, Wendy jolted awake, gasping for breath, shaking her head in horror and shivering from the cold shock. She sat up as her eyes flew open, wide with shock and disbelief.

 

Looking to her side as she gasped, Wendy's expression quickly shifted from confusion to irritation as she threw her head back to get rid of some water from her hair and wiped the water from her face. “Kang Seulgi! Do you have a death wish?” she grumbled, her voice laced with annoyance.

 

“I told you last night to be awake at six it's seven right now and if I wasn't here you would've been sleeping until the very last minute,” Seulgi exclaimed pointing toward the clock, stifling her laughter to present herself as unamused.

 

“I have to be there by nine, half an hour is more than enough for me to get ready and get there,” argued Wendy, stretching her hands as she took a couple of deep breaths to calm herself down from the cold shock.

 

“It's your first day as the CEO and you think it'll be a good idea for you to be late,” Seulgi sighed, shaking her head in despair. “Get up and take a shower. I bought some outfits for you that'll give a strong impression,” ordered Seulgi as she snatched the sheets from her best friend.

 

Grumbling to herself, Wendy stood up and walked towards the bathroom. She didn't even realize that the time passed by so quickly. Her mind was still in a haze due to the events that occurred in the last couple of days.

 

She smiled to herself, looking proudly at the purple marks on her skin as she remembered her activities with that goddess at the club. She pouted remembering that after Irene basically made her rambling mess by doing that during breakfast, their morning ended the same way the previous night ended. The only difference was that when she woke up around late afternoon Irene was gone and the only thing she left behind was a note telling her that she smelled good and that she was keeping the clothes.

 

Drying her hair with a towel she walked out to see a bunch of outfits splayed across her bed. Seulgi spared her a single glance before she grabbed the all-black outfit and handed it over to her.

 

“It's your first day, so you have to look intimidating and nothing can give more intimidating vibes than an all-black outfit,” Seulgi reasoned and grabbed the other outfits. She made her way inside her closet and hung the rest in there.

 

Wendy had known Seulgi since they were children. It all started with kindergarten Wendy and Seulgi fighting each other about who had more squishy cheeks, and from there, their bond had only grown stronger with time.

 

They had been with each other through everything, they had supported each other through thick and thin, they did everything together until their high school graduation before Seulgi had to go to America to help her parent's fashion company and Wendy was sent to Canada to study further.

 

Even during that time both of them stayed by each other's side despite the distance.

 

Leaning against the door frame of her closet Wendy stared at her best friend who was picking a suitable blazer for her even though all of them were black. She knew Seulgi just wanted to help her calm down the nervousness and the best method that came in her mind was to give her a mini heart attack in the morning.

 

Her annoyance from the morning melted away the moment she saw Seulgi deep in thought as she scanned the outfits she bought for her. A faint smile tugged at the corner of her lips, she knew her best friend's intentions have always been pure, and even if sometimes her methods were unorthodox, she didn't mind them.

 

“I think I should wear glasses,” she asked, opening the drawer that had an entire collection of specs and looked toward her best friend who was walking toward her with a blazer in her hands.

 

“Yeah, I think they would go well with you,” Seulgi mumbled, helping her wear the blazer. She scanned her entire outfit from head to toe and finally smiled. “You look perfect,” clapped the satisfied girl.

 

“It's all thanks to you,” Wendy said as she walked over to her working desk and grabbed the folder that she had prepared to guide herself on her first day. “At least there is someone that's making this hell of a day better,” she muttered under her breath just loud enough for Seulgi to hear.

 

“Don't be like this Wan-ah,” Seulgi's smile dropped as she followed her best friend around the room as she collected her things. “I'm sure you'll do great,” whispered Seulgi once she managed to corner Wendy.

 

“It's not about whether I'll do well or not, Seul. I'm too young for this and I know I'm not the right person for this," Wendy sighed with a downcast look in her eyes. “The only reason I am here is because they don't have a son and Seunghee unnie is already a renowned surgeon.”

 

Seulgi pulled her closer and hugged her, giving soft rubs on her back. “You're here because you can do this. I know Uncle Son has his doubts but that's because he hasn't seen you with a keen eye. Your achievements so far are just a small proof of how dedicated you are to polishing your skills. Success is something that can't be achieved on day one and no one is expecting that from you. You can make mistakes and learn from them. If you think that this position is given to you then prove them wrong and show them that you've earned this because of hard work.”

 

“You have me,” Seulgi whispered.

 

“I have you," Wendy whispered, assuring herself as she took a deep breath and nodded to herself.

 

(...)

 

Irene stood inside the CEO's office, some steps away from the door with a tablet in her hand that had the finished draft for the briefing she was supposed to give to the CEO.

 

It's been roughly four years since she started to work there as an intern during her college degree before she was offered a full-time job as a manager. She was content with her time there as an intern and wasted no time accepting the offer. 

 

The director she worked under was impressed by her work and put some nice words of recommendation to the previous CEO when there was a vacant seat for the role of a secretary and two years into her career she got promoted. Since then she has been working diligently as the senior secretary of the company.

 

She had grown comfortable working with Mr. Son. The old man was short-tempered and had a keen eye for perfection. His kindness was only spared to those who satisfied his need for perfection in the work that was given to them. Irene managed to do that and that was the reason she was often rewarded by the company through a payrise or being the only one aside from directors to get a car by the company.

 

She was nervous because a new CEO meant a new style of working under a new management and leadership. She wondered if she'll be able to adjust to it in a short span of time after getting used to working under the old management for the past four years.

 

She let out a sigh as she looked at her tablet. She wanted to choke the demon that possessed her for those couple of hours the previous day. One time she ignores the alarms going off in her brain and she ends up sleeping not once but twice with the same stranger, not stranger, Wendy two times.

 

She woke up first after their steamy rendezvous after the breakfast that went on for longer than both of them would've expected. In that, moment she had realised that she still had unfinished work and had no idea about the whereabouts of her sister.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter