and in darkness, there's you [pt. 5.5.1 REQ] [FIN]

seasons and weather
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gratefully bowing to the caretaker, Minjeong and Jimin walked back to the car - the older girl, somehow feeling conscious without her sunglasses, held onto the songwriter's arm. It became natural for Jimin - as if she knows Minjeong for years just like Ningning and Aeri. As soon as MInjeong helped Jimin to get seated on the passenger's side, the latter heard the car door opening and soon enough, the engine started.

 

"Well, it'd take us an hour to get there," Minjeong checked the GPS, "you sure you're not tired yet?" she asked worriedly.

 

Jimin shakes her head in response, "It's kind of relaxing to be honest." she smiled. The older girl didn't really feel tired at all despite being out the whole day, though they didn't do anything that would tire them out, but still.

 

"It's been so long since I travelled this far," Jimin shared, "I missed this."

 

Minjeong smiled at the response, she as well isn't tired at all - this has been a therapeutic day for her. Having to see this side of Jimin, and knowing a piece of her story. She should really thank Aeri for suggesting to traveling in Japan and staying with her when she gets back.

 

"Alright, just let me know when you're tired. Okay?"

 

And with a hum, Minjeong started to drive - glancing at Jimin who has a smile on her face, with no sunglasses. If she weren't driving, she would definitely capture that moment - Yu Jimin, is definitely a force to reckon with.

 

Turning off the AC of the vehicle, Minjeong rolled down the windows - fresh air could be felt inside the car, and it made Jimin smile wider. Closing her eyes as she leans her head on the side of the window, feeling everything from the outside - she couldn't deny how peaceful she felt at that moment.

 

Jimin was reminded of the times where she has fallen in love with nature, with traveling - and with life in general. But after everything, the darkness inside her made her all forget it - the beauty and how it would always make Jimin feel light. She felt empty, and for her to be like this again - to feel something like this again, it was nostalgic to say the least.

 

And she missed this.

 

A soft song was played as Jimin was busy with her thoughts, but what really caught her attention is how Minjeong was softly singing along to the song. It brought a warm feeling inside Jimin, the kind of warmth where you would always feel whenever you embrace someone that you have always waited for the whole day.

 

Maybe, maybe that was the case for Jimin - she didn't know that she has been waiting for someone like Minjeong - someone that could break down her layers as if it was nothing. Because Jimin has fallen in love with life before, only forgetting it due to the darkness that consumed her.

Minjeong was just there to let her remember it all over again - and maybe, falling in love with the same thing all over again will do no harm. Because at the end of the dark tunnel, there was Kim Minjeong, standing with all smiles - and Jimin found herself running towards the light.

 

Almost an hour into driving, Minjeong heard quiet crashing of the waves. The smell of salt air entering the car as she looked at the passenger window to see where they were. It was a stark contrast to the small wooden house that they were in earlier, seeing the vastness of the sea and the peaceful and soft waves it does. She then glanced at Jimin, the latter has her eyes closed with a smile - Minjeong would think that the older girl was sleeping if not for the subtle tapping of her index finger on her lap.

 

"We're almost there," Jimin said, her tone sounded so sure - as if she has been familiar with the place for all her life. Just with the mere sound and smell, and she just knows.

 

As if on cue, the automated voice on the GPS announced that their destination would be on the right. Minjeong slowed down, maneuvering as she parked the car to a vacant space. She observed the place as she turned off the engine, compared to the field that surprised her with its view - this place just provided solace to her.

 

She could see families, or maybe tourists walking around - but given the time, there were just a few of them. Right from a distance, she could see a tall white column - shaped jus like the Bishop chess piece.

 

"A lighthouse?" Minjeong asked.

 

Jimin hummed in response, "I somehow found this on my own." she smiled.

 

"Really?" Removing her seatbelt, Minjeong looked at Jimin with a smile - her tone sounding amazed and happy with the information. For Jimin to go to this place with her is something she should really document on her trip.

 

Jimin chuckled at Minjeong's voice, she could already tell that the younger girl was smiling. "Well, not really my own. I was with my parents that time as well. Maybe I was around 14 or 15, and we were just driving around until I saw the lighthouse from a distance and told them to try and go here."

 

"And this is beautiful, Jimin," Minjeong smiles and squeezing Jimin's hand for a moment, "Let's walk around?"

 

And with a nod, the two of them went out of the car.

 

As usual, Jimin has her arm hooked with Minjeong's while they walk around. The songwriter kept taking pictures, asking Jimin to be on the camera and the latter just obliged. It's not like she could stop the girl - and that's one thing that she learned about Minjeong. Or maybe herself as well.

 

Minjeong would always say words that Jimin couldn't help to agree to, and she herself couldn't help herself to decline Minjeong.

 

"Woah," Minjeong breathes out as she captured a photo.

 

"It's the sunset, right?" Jimin smiled, not having her sunglasses - with her hazy and blurred vision, she could see the thousands of bursting colors despite it being like a smudged watercolored painting to her. It doesn't remove the fact that it's still beautiful.

 

"It's you." Minjeong mumbled quietly, standing beside Jimin. "Can I ask you a question, if you don't mind?"

 

Jimin didn't catch the first sentence that Minjeong said but nodded her head in response to the question, "I think we're already past that, Minjeong-ah."

 

"It's just, I think it's kind of personal..." The younger girl trailed off, obviously hesitating to continue. Jimin somehow has an idea on what the girl was about to ask. After all, she knows to herself that she still haven't shared the elephant in the room.

 

And so giving the girl a smile, and feeling the warmth of Minjeong's hand next to hers, she gently grabbed it and interlocked their fingers. "Let's walk to the lighthouse, hm? We can talk there."

 

"Alright," Minjeong nodded her head, looking down to the pathway to the lighthouse. What Minjeong thought to be quiet walk didn't happen because Jimin asked her - opting to continue their conversation.

 

"Is this the part when you would ask me how I became like this?"

 

Minjeong frowned, obviously that was not the question she would ask which is why she shook her head vigorously. "No, it's about Aeri and Ning. They've been saying to me that I'm lucky you asked me to drive you and all that. I just want to know about that, if you may?"

 

Jimin raised an eyebrow at Minjeong's words, she didn't expect for the two of ther friends to say that to Minjeong. Though it's not really a bad thing, after all, it's the truth. "It's true, I'm not comfortable with someone driving or just generally being in a car."

 

"Oh, do you wa - "

 

"I trust you," Jimin cuts her off, a smile forming on her face on the worried tone that Minjeong has. "I trust you, don't worry."

 

Minjeong felt something inside her stutter as soon as Jimin said those words, she took a sharp intake of breath as she controlled the rumbling inside her and the loud ringing of her heart. There's just something with the way that Jimin said those words - sure, Minjeong heard those words from other people. Trusting her with her work and what she could do, trusting her with something, with a secret - but it's just different with Jimin.

 

Everything is different with Yu Jimin, and to hear those words out loud. Along with the soft waves and salt air around them, she found herself smiling widely. "I, thank you." she said quietly.

 

Sitting down on a bench, Minjeong looked at the sea - watching every wave softly crashing, like a routine and peaceful movement for the sea. She watched some other people taking pictures of it, of other people, and everything around them. Letting their conversations go through her as she focused on the silence between her and Jimin.

 

"Car accident."

 

Minjeong heard Jimin, breaking the silence between them. She turned to the older girl, seeing how the latter was suddenly focused on her sunglasses - a nervous tick that she always do.

 

"Jimin, you really don't have - "

 

"I want to," Jimin cuts her off, it was a soft honest answer - short and yet full of sincerity. "It's just, I don't really know where to start. It's different with you, I mean." Jimin takes a deep breath, gathering her thoughts properly.

 

"It's different because you're a completely new person, for Ning and Aeri, the others - they know the story without asking. So yeah, it's difficult because I don't  know where to start but I really want you to know."

 

Jimin finished her rambling, not wanting for Minjeong to misunderstood her - she's not hesitating at all to tell it to the latter. But rather, it's just new for her to share it to someone. Someone like Kim MInjeong - the person who bothered Jimin to no end, and yet the person who's currently with her at her favorite place.

 

"Okay," Minjeong softly answered, understanding Jimin. She scooted closer to the older girl, their shoulders touching by a breath, fingers still intertwined. Without thought, Minjeong started playing with Jimin's hand. "Take your time, I'll be here to listen."

 

There was with the way Minjeong always reassures Jimin in the simplest way as possible. It's full of tender, honesty, and warmth - and Jimin realized that she has been craving this type of thing. To be able to sit in silence with someone, and yet having that moments where they could talk about everything.

 

Moments that Jimin found herself sharing things about herself - her past, her dislikes, her deep thoughts, just because it felt right. It felt right to share it with Minjeong.

 

Kim Minjeong feels right.

 

"It was an unexpected thing, of course it was," Jimin continued, scenes from that fateful day coming back in flashes, "We were supposed to go here. We were hving a great time, a perfect day if you would, not until it happened." she breathes in, long and deep - not releasing her breath for a moment. A way to compose herself whenever she remembers that day.

 

"Jimin," Hyunsu called out, peeking his head from the door, "You done?" he asked, and the girl nodded her head in response. Grabbing her bag before walking out of her room, smiling at her father.

 

"I'm all good, sorry. Are we good to go?" She smiled, looking around and seeing that the bags were already fixed.

 

"Nope, your mom is still as slow as ever," Hyunsu joked, loud enough that the of them could hear the offended 'Hey' coming from the other room, making the two of them chuckle.

 

A flash.

 

Jimin was caught off guard, looking at the culprit - her father. Hyunsu was grinning at her as he looks at the photo that he just took of his daughter. This has been their bonding ever since Jimin got hooked with photography - the two of them would randomly take pictures of everything, and most of the time, Hyunsu would take a picture of Jimin to .

 

As he knows that Jimin always prefer to be the one behind the lens rather than the other side.

 

"Dad!" Jimin said, rolling her eyes and yet there was still a smile on her face.

 

"Don't be shy, Jiminnie. You look beautiful." Hyunsu reassured, showing the picture.

 

"It's because you took it," Jimin deadpanned.

 

"Or because you got it from me." A voice behind them butted in.

 

Jiwoo, grinning at the two, approaching the father-daughter duo. She looked at the picture that her husband just took, nodding her head as if in agreement. "Yeah, definitely of my genes."

 

Jiwoo then looked at Jimin, as if checking if her daughter would retort back.

 

"Yeah, definitely from you." Jimin grinned at Jiwoo, and stuck her tongue out to Hyunsu - teasing him which made him pout.

 

Jiwoo then pecked Hyunsu in front of Jimin, making the latter groan out of disgust. Sure, her parents are cute and she would've cheered and giggled if she were still a child when they do things like that, but Jimin is not a child anymore.

 

"You two!" Jimin scrunched her nose, walking out of the house, shaking her head fondly as she heard her parents laugh at her reaction.

 

And as she looked at her parents laughing as they walk out of their house, Jimin smiled and took a candid picture of them. Taking a deep breath as she looks up at the sky, it's been years since they relocate in Japan. It's all thanks to the sudden scholarship she got in college - which of course, she didn't hesitate to accept, given that her parents were supportive of it as well.

 

Since then, Jimin was by her own in Japan for her whole college years - until she met Ningning, then just like that, she also met the others - Aeri, Yunjin, Chaewon, Kazuha. The day of her graduation, her parents surprised her with them also moving to Japan - already with a furnished house and all the necessities.

 

That's when their yearly roadtrips started as well, which is what they are going to do right now. Jimin smiled from the backseat as she watched Hyunsu kissing Jiwoo's hand, even after all these years - their love for each other still grew stronger, not even a second did it fade.

 

The ride was smooth and full of laughter until it wasn't. Hyunsu suddenly took a quick swerve - thankful for his fast reflexes. A vehicle in front of them suddenly stopped, which almost caused an accident if not for Hyunsu's action. Jimin could feel her heartbeat against her chest, looking at the rearview mirror to see the car and its owner.

 

"Are you two okay?" Hyunsu asked, glancing at Jiwoo and then to Jimin.

 

"We're good, that was dangerous." Jiwoo answered, she then looked over to Jimin, "Honey, are you okay over there?"

 

Jimin takes a deep breath, somehow feeling nervous but she still mustered up a smile. "All good, just surprised."

 

Then a few minutes they've arrived at the familiar wooden house - and somehow, they forgot everything that happened earlier.

 

And Jimin wished she suggested to just go home from there.

 

Everything went on by a blur, the first second they were in the garden having picnic, then they drove to the lighthouse - having their family time. Then all of a sudden, Jimin felt herself hitting the left side of the door, then all she could see was Hyunsu trying to grab Jiwoo as a strong force collided against their car, with Jiwoo trying to go to Jimin.

 

Jimin could only hear shouts and a high-pitched ringing.

 

Suddenly, she opened her eyes only to squint it as it was all blurry for her - and all she could feel was pain all over her body, she couldn't move her a muscle an inch. She shouts for her parents, hoping to hear an answer.

 

"Mom? Mom, dad!" Jimin shouts as she coughed out, suddenly she was being pulled out - and Jimin couldn't tell what's happening but all she could think of was her parents - she could se the silhoutte of their bodies being pulled out as well, but before she could walk over them, everything went black.

 

The next thing Jimin knew, she could smell the sterile smell of the hospital - and somehow, opening her eyes, she couldn't see anything. She doesn't know what to feel, but she could feel the adrenaline and nervousness - the memories started to rush back to her. The smell of gas, the fire, the collision, the paint - everything was drowning her, and she felt a huge bandage on her head, she could hear footsteps and she felt presence beside her.

 

"Mom?" Jimin called out breathlessly, she felt like everything is closing on her - "Mom, I can't see - mom, what's happening? Dad?"

 

A loud and quick beeping was heard and a rush of footsteps.

 

"She's hyperventilating," a woman's voice said.

 

Jimin tried to collect her thoughts, "Where's mom and dad? I don't see anything, please - "

 

Jimin slowly felt weak and lightheaded,  and for the second time, everything went black.

 

The moment Jimin woke up again, it was still the same - everything was blurry, too blurry for her to see anything.

 

"Unnie?"

 

Jimin whipped her head to the direction of the familiar voice, "Ning?!" the older girl calls out.

 

Reaching out her hand and feeling a sense of relief when the familiar grip of her friend grabbed her, "Unnie, I'm here." Ningning said reassuringly.

 

"Ning, what happened?" Jimin asked, "Where's mom and dad? Why is everything so blurry?"

 

Silence.

 

Jimin felt something building inside her, her stomach twisting in knots as if something was wrong - very wrong. The silence didn't sit well with her. "Ning?" she calls out, squeezing the girl's hand.

 

"Unnie, I don't know, I'm sorry. I - let me call the doctor."

 

Not a few minutes later, a doctor entered the room and suddenly, Jimin doesn't know what to feel. Everything feels like a joke to her - a dream, a nightmare in fact. She wanted the woman to stop talking, to stop lying - she wanted to wake up and yet, Jimin couldn't utter a word.

 

"The accident happened, Jimin. Do you remember that? We tried everything, but..."  Jimin could hear a sharp intake of breath before the doctor continued. "But your parents took a huge hit, they've lost a lot of blood the moment they arrived. We tried everything but they couldn't make it."

Silence.

 

"And your eyes, a nerve was affected during the accident due to the collision. It's a nerve damage that would cause a person to be blind for quite sometime. Just the right procedure and check ups, and it'll go back."

 

Silence.

 

"Can we please have a minute?" Ningning asked, and the doctor nodded her head - smiling apologetically at Jimin.

 

"Unnie? Are you - "

 

"Tell me she's lying, Ning," Jimin said, clenching her fist as she shakes her head, "tell me that my parents are in another room and is just waiting for me."

 

"Unnie," Ningning whispers, "please."

 

"Please, just - " and that was it, Jimin lets out a sob and it was as if every fiber of her being is being washed away. "I, I don't know what to do. Please tell me it's a lie, please. We were just having our yearly roadtrip, we were laughing just earlier - just please, Ning. I can't, I don't - "

 

Ningning pulls the older girl in an embrace, she herself doesn't know what to say - she could only imagine the pain of that the girl is going through right now. "Let it all out, unnie. I'm sorry."

 

Everything went on like a blur for Jimin from that day onwards - she's angry, in pain, a blackhole was brewing inside her. Eating her from the inside - the smiles that she has always worn before was replaced by nothing. The first day that she entered their home, the silence broke her - gone was the usual jokes and banters of her parents, the sound of the television, the kitchen being filled with homecooked meals.

 

Jimin felt empty - she stopped living from then on. She cried everyday, evrey second, every minute, until her body couldn't produce anymore fluids. Then she'll repeat it - she begged Ning to just let her be but the girl insisted on checking on her every chance she could have.

 

Ningning was also the one that insisted for Jimin to go to her monthly check ups, and Jimin never wanted it but she just agreed perhaps to not be anymore of a burden than she is right now to the younge girl.

 

Jimin lost everything.

 

Her parents.

 

Her eyesight - her passion.

 

All in exchange of pain, grief - and it's a ty combination. It's the thing that she feels responsible to move on, to go live her life as she should - and yet, she doesn't want to, she couldn't. She was stuck there, useless and a burden, doing her best to survive. And that is the painfu reality of loss.

 

And if Jimin is being honest, there's more to it - it's the sudden whiff of scent that would remind her of her father, the sudden sound of a familiar laughter that belongs to her mother. Or even the sudden flash of a camera that was once her most favorite thing to witness. Only for her to realize that, no - they're gone already. She could never hear her father again, or taste the familiar sandwich rice of her mother.

 

Probably, that's what scares her the most - people deal with loss differently, but somehow Jimin feels like there was one thing in common. The reality that somehow, she would forget how her father looks like, the voice of her parents - and everything in between.

 

That's why she refused to move, refused to completely move on - because she doesn't want to forget. And so, she embraced the pain - because somehow, that is all what's left for her to not forget them.


 

 

 

 

"I just learned to live with it," Jimin continued, her voice soft and yet there was an underlying sadness to it - a sadness that she came to accept. "It was difficult, it is still difficult. But being with Ning and the others helped, but there are days and moments that I just needed to feel it by myself - to cry."

 

Minjeong stared at the older girl beside her, she could clearly see the small smile on her lips - the one that just screams acceptance. And she wonders, how Jimin did everything - how she managed to handle the loss of her parents, her passion. But even without asking, Minjeong somehow knew the answer - tightening her hold on Jimin's hand.

 

There are no words needed.

 

You're a force of nature, Yu Jimin.

 

"Maybe, even if I try to deny it. That's one of the reasons why I have my walls, Minjeong." Jimin admitted quietly, "I refused to meet new people not only because of my disabilty and feeling the pity, but because I'm afraid."

 

"Of what?"

 

And Jimin tightened her hold to Minjeong, and along with the sound of faint laughter for the people walking by and the soft crashing of waves, the older girl answered. "That I'd lose them too, just like that. Because I don't think I could handle it again, the pain and everything."

 

That I'd lose you, and everything will be back to square one.

 

A gust of wind.

 

Minjeong looked at Jimin, and somehow she didn't realize that she's already closer to the latter - raising her hand to tuck the strand of hair behind Jimin's ear. "I'm here, Jimin." she said softly - her tone, and voice holding the raw honesty that Jimin could hold on to.

 

"Thank you."

 

Just like that, the two formed an understanding - all the layers that they hold are now unshed, the traumas, their past - and how they came to be the way they are today. Even despite everything, the difficult and slow start of them, there's one thing that the two of them have in common. The unspoken promise, a promise of always being there for each other.

 

As the sun sets, Minjeong and Jimin spent the remaining time to sit in silence - only filling it with questions for time to time, and that was enough for them. Soon enough, they were the only ones left as the last group of people walks down the path towards the parking lot. They were completely engulfed in silence from there on.

 

"Why," Minjeong suddenly started, finding the right words to ask the question. "why did you want to go here?"

 

Jimin knows why Minjeong asked that, after all, this is the last place she and her parents went to before everything went downhill. And to be honest, Jimin doesn't know the exact answer. But she knows one thing, "It just felt wrong if I didn't show you this place."

 

Minjeong looks at the older girl, confused at the answer - and Jimin could feel the stare, the questioning look of the younger girl. And with the sky changing from the colorful watercolored hue, to gray and dark - as the stars started to welcome the quietness of the night, and the sun kissing the moon goodbye, Jimin turns to Minjeong.

 

Feeling the latter's warmth, Jimin removes her hold from Minjeong gently. Somehow, she's not sure what she's doing, but she knew she's been curious about this for far too long. Because just like her answer, it would feel wrong if she didn't do this.

 

And the stark contrast of the soft waves crashing from Jimin's heartbeat, the dark and blurry vision she has - along with the light that came from the lighthouse, and the very petite silhoutte that she could hardly decipher in front of her. She slowly puts her hand down, holding each of Minjeong's, carefully tracing the lines on her palms, then to her knuckles.

 

"Jimin?"

 

"May I?" Jimin paused on her action, and Minjeong could see the hesitation.

 

"Hm?"

 

Jimin takes a quick inhale before answering, "I want to know what you look like, may I?"

 

Minjeong felt everything inside her stop for a moment, her breath hitched at the request - and instead of answer, she held Jimin's hands, guiding them towards her neck. She hopes that JImin couldn't hear the loud beating of her heart. Letting Jimin do everything from there on, as she just looked at the older girl, staring at the blank stare of Jimin's eyes - as she can't deny that it looks too alluring, beautiful, and perfect.

 

The two of them could feel the heat emitting from one another, with Jimin's hands hovering an inch away from Minjeong's neck, the younger girl could definitely feel the hair behind her neck standing up. On the other hand, Jimin could feel own pulse quickening somehow, she thought of stopping and yet - she really wanted to know what Minjeong looks like.

 

And so, she did.

 

Slowly, she brought her hands up only her fingertips touch Minjeong's skin. Tracing the side of her neck until Jimin could feel a couple strands of hair, and then she reached the end of Minjeong's ear. The blurry vision of hers, the way she couldn't see Minjeong's silhouette due to darkness - and yet, Jimin could slowly put a face on Kim Minjeong.

 

In the process, Jimin found herself closing her eyes and scooting a little bit closer - and Minjeong could only watch. The tingles that she could feel from Jimin's fingertips, with everytime that it would touch her skin unexpectedly, it's like a spark -  a burning sensation that would leave a mark on her skin, slowly spreading althroughout her body.

 

Jimin traced Minjeong's ears, the slopes and each little bone and cartilage - she could feel a piercing or two on the girl's right ear, and it made Jimin smile. From Minjeong's ear, she slowly followed the girl's hairline, the little baby hair tickling her fingertips until she reached the girl's forehead.

 

And she goes down to Minjeong's face, tracing the girl's eyebrow and realizing as she continues that the younger girl has long eyelashes. Softly, she touched and traced the girl's nosebridge - Jimin could tell that Minjeong has soft skin, and as she followed the nosebridge down, she felt a slope.

 

Unconsciously, Minjeong found herself her lips that she accidentally brushed against Jimin's fingertips. She felt nervous when the older girl reached her lips, and her action just made Jimin pause for a few seconds.

 

Without thinking, Jimin leaned closer making Minjeong malfunction - it was as if Jimin was more focused than ever. As the older girl continued her action, tracing Minjeong's lips - the top lip down to her lower lip, and somehow Jimin found herself staying there for a moment. Thousand of thoughts running through her mind, and the same goes to Minjeong.

Both of their hearts are beating so strong, and everything just went quiet - gone were the waves crashing, and all they could focus on were to each other. Everything felt so raw, bare, intimate - and as Jimin slowly opens her eyes, her hand traced to Minjeong's cheeks and then gently went down to her neck, staying there and pulling Minjeong closer until their foreheads were against each other.

 

The songwriter did not protest, as she only stared softly at Jimin's face - their nose touching, and everything was closing in on them - in a good way. As the moon shines above them, with only the light from the lighthouse and the stars as the witness - the next words that were exchanged, carried along to the waves, but surely, it stayed with them.

 

"Kim Minjeong," Jimin whispers, her words too quiet and yet the younger girl still caught it. "there you are."

 

Because finally, she could put a face on the person that made everything a little bit lighter in her life ever since they've met. Because finally, Jimin found the little spark of light in her endless tunnel - and it made her feel at peace.

 

"And here you are, Yu Jimin."

 

Minjeong on the other hand, wanted to escape reality - but instead, the opposite happened all because of the older girl. As she learned to embrace her emotions and everything in between, Minjeong found beauty again in her reality - and here Yu Jimin, being a part of it.

 

 

 

 

Something shifted in their dynamic, a subtle shift and yet very evident for their friends. It's the way Minjeong would as usual talk to Jimin all day, but there was a subtle difference with the two. The shy touches, the lingering looks that Minjeong would give, and the way Jimin would hold Minjeong hand not as a sign of help - but much more different, more intimate in a subtle way.

 

In all honesty, Minjeong and Jimin didn't talk about what happened during their trip - neither of them addressed on their moment at the lighthouse. But it seems like neither of them need anything, it's like they both know that they are on the same page. And so, when Aeri asked Minjeong on what happened - even she herself doesn't know how she would make the girl believe her.

 

"Seriously, are you guys together?" Aeri asked, the frustration and curiosity in her voice could be heard.

 

Minjeong looked at the older girl, genuinely shrugging her shoulders. "No, why would you even ask that?"

 

"It's because we can definitely see something there!" Aeri dramatically waved her hand to wherever, as if trying to prove a point. "Something must've happened during your trip, and surely, you guys are together."

 

Minjeong sighed, putting down her earphones as she looked at Aeri - who is currently sporting a stressed look. She chuckled as she shakes her head, "If we're together, then you guys would definitely know."

 

"Your point?"

 

"We're just friends, Gi. Don't sweat yourself." Minjeong smiled, "You can ask Jimin yourself."

 

"But, what the hell are those shy and lingering looks?!"

 

Minjeong laughed, "Okay, yeah something happened during the trip - "

 

"I ing called it!"

 

Rolling her eyes, Minjeong continued. "- but we didn't kiss or anything. Something just happened, we talked but we didn't officially, I guess touched on the subject on what we are."

 

"That's dumb." Aeri deadpanned, throwing a pillow towards Minjeong.

 

"Okay, I know. But I just know we're on the same page, but we just have too much on our plate. Let's not forget that I'll be going back soon, hm?" Minjeong smiles sadly, remembering her last call with Taeyeon. 

 

Aeri regarded the songwriter for a moment, she could definitely see that Minjeong doesn't want to fly back to Korea. "And Jimin knows?"

 

"Yeah, she didn't say anything about it though."

 

Aeri hummed in response, "So, what's your plan?"

 

Minjeong sighed, flopping herself on the bed. That has been the question running through her mind since their trip, and she couldn't even answer it herself. There's a reason why she and Jimin didn't talk about it, and somehow, she appreciates the older girl for it. But one thing is for sure, "I'll be with Jimin as long as I can."

 

Aeri smiled at the answer, sharing a nod to her friend. Because that was enough for now, and Aeri knows that if even Minjeong could do more than that, the latter wouldn't hesitate to act on it.

 

"I'm genuinely happy for you, Min."

 

Minjeong smiled at the statement, looking at her friend with a certain light in her eyes that Aeri has never seen before.

 

"Me too, Gi." So much.

 

 

 

 

"Unnie, I'm really happy for you but can you wipe that smile on your face, even just for a second?" Ningning said as she ate some takeout that she and Jimin bought for dinner.

 

Seeing Jimin this happy, Ningning couldn't help but to smile as well, but gosh was the older girl looks like a lovestruck puppy with that smile of hers. She couldn't even wipe it off for a second, and Ningning's cheeks are hurting for the older girl. Ever since Jimin's trip with Minjeong, everyone could see the difference between them. Most especially with Jimin, her steps became lighter and her smile became much brighter than before.

 

Heck, Jimin seldom smiles so when they saw the older girl shyly smiling towards Minjeong on a random day - they just knew that everything went well during their trip.

 

"I am not smiling." Jimin retorted back, drinking from the glass of water near her.

 

Ningning rolled her eyes only for her to chuckle at the sudden statement of Jimin.

 

"I know that you're rolling your eyes at me Ning Yizhuo."

 

"I surely am," Ningning replied back, "what's the deal with you and Minjeong? And don't tell me that it's nothing because there's definitely something."

 

"I..." Jimin trailed off for a moment, replaying the way she and Minjeong would act recently. "we're friends." she answered shortly, and knows that Ningning would not believe it.

 

"Bull."

 

Jimin chuckles, shaking her head as she took a bite from her dinner. "We never talked about it, and I think it's fine."

 

"You think?" Ningning raised an eyebrow.

 

"I know it's fine," Jimin corrected herself, "Minjeong is flying back to Korea soon, it's not the right time."

 

Ningning understands where Jimin was coming from, but she still wants to know things. "And you're fine with that?"

 

"What?"

 

"I don't question Minjeong's intentions with you but I'm still worried." Ningning clarified and continued, "we know that she's going back to Korea soon but we don't know if she'll come back here or not." she slowly said, watching Jimin's reaction.

 

"It's not like I never thought of that, Ning." Jimin sighed, that is specifically one of the reasons why she didn't touch the subject on their relationship. It's just hard right now, everything feels new to Jimin, and at the same time - she doesn't want Minjeong to feel tied up with what they have.

 

But is that the only reason?

 

Ningning knows there's much more to it though, she knew Jimin long enough for her not to grasp one thing that Jimin denies to herself. "If you're thinking that you're going to be a burden to Minjeong, stop. That girl would literally do anything for you." Ningning said honestly, she doesn't want for Jimin to overthink things as simple as that.

 

"Unnie, it's just you two are in a grey area. And sometimes, it's fine to be selfish and just ask questions that needed to be asked." Ningning said softly, "There are no wrong questions to the right person, so just think about it. Okay?"

 

Jimin smiled at Ningning, it's heartwarming to know that the younger girl looks out for her like this - despite being younger than her, Ningning has a better idea on this area. It's not like she's wrong, because Jimin knows that she and Minjeong are in a grey area. Obviously, Ningning saw the dilemma that Jimin has - and maybe, just maybe, Ningning is right with this one.

 

"Yeah, maybe you're right." Jimin admitted softly, a smile on her face.

 

Ningning scoffed, flipping her hair dramatically. "I know I'm right, unnie."

 

And as the two of them continued their dinner, conversation in passing - Ningning observed the older girl in front of her, and she couldn't help herself but to have a huge smile as well.

 

"Unnie," Ningning called out, receiving a hum from Jimin. "I've missed you."

 

That made Jimin pause for a moment, it might be weird for some people but she just knows what Ningning was talking about. "Me too, Ning."

 

Jimin was aware of everything - the change in her, and with Minjeong. The person that Jimin never expected to meet, to know, and to have this kind of feeling and relationship with. For all the years that she's been living, Jimin knows that it's inevitable to fall in love but what she didn't expect is for it to happen in this circumstance.

 

That thought made Jimin pause for a moment - love?

 

That was unexpected.

 

Right now, as she lays alone on her bed - darkness consuming the room, and nonetheless her vision - save it for the blurred light coming from her night lamp. This has been the case for her ever since the accident, she would rather have a little bit of light - even though it wouldn't help her a bit. It's an illusion of some sorts, perhaps something that Jimin craves for.

 

Laying there as her mind repeats the thought earlier - it wa so natural for her to think of that, and yet terrifying. A memory with her mother suddenly plays in her mind.

 

Jimin and Jiwoo were simply watching Hyunsu from a distance, who was simply looking around the mall, looking at some camera displays. Jimin looked at Hyunsu then to Jiwoo, her mother has that small smile on her face - it was different from the smile that she would always give to Jimin. yet still very warm.

 

Jimin wasn't stupid but it's not her fault that she still haven't had any relationships despite being almost an adult. She has watched everyone around her gush about their crushes, have seen people fall in love and fall out of love - and somehow, her favorite thing to watch is how her mother would always look at her father.

 

"How did you know?" Jimin suddenly asked, sipping on her mug.

 

Jiwoo hummed, looking at Jimin softly as she tilted her head. "Know what, honey?"

 

The question made Jimin shy, but to hell with it. This is just her mother - she knows that she will never be judged by her, and she's just simply curious. "That you love dad?"

 

Okay, Jimin wouldn't be judged but that doesn't mean that Jiwoo wouldn't . The knowing smile that Jiwoo was giving her just made Jimin groan, rolling her eyes as she slumps back to her chair. "Nevermind, forget that I've asked."

 

Jiwoo laughs, scooting closer to her daughter and pinching her cheeks playfully. "Oh, don't be shy now. Is there someone that you - "

 

"Mom!" Jimin whined, making Jiwoo laugh louder.

 

"Okay, okay. I'll stop, that's why your father loves teasing you so much." Jiwoo shakes her head, taking a sip from her juice as she stares at Hyunsu from a distance. "How did I know?"

 

Jimin waits for an answer, and maybe it took her mother a few minutes to properly find her words. Which made Jimin much more confused.

 

"You just know, honey. That was it for me, I just knew that I love him and I want to spend my future with him." Jiwoo answered with a small smile, as if reminiscing her time with Hyunsu.

 

"Isn't that scary? Not having reasons but still knowing that you love dad? I don't know, maybe because I haven't experienced it yet."

 

Jiwoo smiled, shaking her head at her daughter. "I do have reasons honey, but it would be different for everyone and it might be different for you."

 

"Can you give me some?" Jimin smiled sheepishly, "Just to make sure when the time comes." she jokingly said.

 

"I didn't expect to have this conversation with you, Jiminnie," Jiwoo looks at her softly, "You're really growing up, hm?"

 

"Okay, let's just change the topic, mom. This is getting dramatic." Jimin jokes, though she's just hiding the fact that she's getting shy with their topic.

 

"It's fine, just make sure to introduce them to us, okay?" Jiwoo smiled, and nto waiting for an answer she continued.

 

"Everything just feels light, comfortable maybe. That despite having the biggest problems, just to hear that person's voice, it would make your day better. It wouldn't solve the problem, but you know that that person is there and everything is just better, even for a little bit."

 

And so, when Jimin heard Minjeong's voice the day after - she knew that her mother was right. Because she could feel the tug on her lips, surely a smile that she could't hide anymore as she felt the songwriter's presence beside her.

 

"Hi, Jimin," Minjeong greeted, "your usual."

 

And just like that, Minjeong situates herself in front of Jimin like before, talking about everything and nothing. Everything indeed feels better with Minjeong, and so without much thought, Jimin reaches out her hand on the table.

 

"Hmm, you need anything?" Minjeong asked, and Jimin could already hear the chair being pulled back. "Should I get you some water?"

 

"No," Jimin shakes her head softly, "just your hand. I want to hold your hand."

 

Even without seeing it, Jimin knows that Minjeong was smiling as she gently hold her hand - playing with Jimin's fingers in the process. With their hands intertwined, and Minjeong not asking much questions - as if it was the most natural thing to do, Jimin knows that everything will be fine.

 

There's no wrong questions to the right person.

 

When they were having their usual walk in the park, Jimin really wanted to ask it - and if she was being honest, she doesn't even know the answer she wants to get from the younger girl. Yeah, Ningning was right that she could ask Minjeong about it but at the same time, even Jimin herself doesn't know what she wants.

 

Though one thing is for sure, having to hear Minjeong's laugh and lame jokes - having to hear her voice, and feel her warmth - it was enough for Jimin.

 

"What's the matter," Minjeong asked softly, pausing in her steps, and Jimin could tell that the girl was right now in front of her. "You look distracted."

 

Jimin smiles at that, having someone this attentive to her - for someone to just know and be aware the slightest change with her, it's a great feeling. "How can you say so?"

 

"For starters, your hand isn't gripping mine like usual," and as if proving her point, Minjeong brought up their hands only for Jimin's to fall limp beside her. "Second, you've been sighing for likea hundred of times already. And lastly, you're laughing at my jokes. Which is weird by the way because you always find them lame."

 

"You..." Jimin was speechless, shaking her head fondly.

 

"What, so like, you know, you can tell me anything," Minjeong said softly, and taking a step forward, she fixed Jimin's sunglasses that were laying crookedly on her, "if you're only comfortable about it, of course."

 

It was that kind of softness that always gets Jimin, the way the songwriter would always have Jimin's well-being on top of her mind. "You're going back soon, aren't you?"

 

Was Jimin nervous? Perhaps, a little bit.

 

"Yeah, unfortunately."

 

It was too simple, short - and yet the way Minjeong said it just tells Jimin that she doesn't want to go back. She probably was assuming or imagining things, but she doesn't care. Because Minjeong led them to probably the nearest bench, and let Jimin sat down first.

 

"Is that what's bothering you?" Minjeong softly asked.

 

"One of the things, yeah." It was surprising to say the least hat Jimin was this honest to Minjeong.

 

"Hmm, and what are the other things?"

 

"Will you come back?"

 

"To you, yes." Minjeong answered in a beat.

 

It was too quick, and too steady - as if Jimin doesn't even have to ask it because that's the default answer to have. Jimin takes it in slowly, as she inhales and gets a whiff of Minjeong's scent. The same one that makes her feel calm, the one that always reminds her of a freshly cut grass. And in a tiny voice, she asked again. "When?"

 

Yeah, Ningning is absolute right - there are indeed no wrong questions to the right person. Because Jimin thought to herself, she may sound too demanding, too needy - and yet, Minjeong's answer reassured her in a way that only Minjeong can.

 

"I can't say, I can't promise a date when even I don't know when it'll be," Minjeong softly said, grabbing and drawing circles on the back of Jimin's hand. "Are you scared?"

 

Then it was the insecurities and doubts kicking in - Jimin has managed to compose herself for far too long, and maybe, this time she couldn't. Because suddenly, all she could think of is how pitiful she is, and how it is unfair for Minjeong - that if they go on with what they are, then it'll be difficult not just for Jimin, but also to the songwriter.

 

A burden.

 

Is she scared? Yes.

 

Of what?

 

Of the possibility that Minjeong will get tired of her, of the fact that Jimin is a burden - and Minjeong may have not realized it now but the longer she knows the older girl, she'll get sick of taking care of Jimin. Then, her insecurities that maybe, Jimin will do something wrong and everything won't work out.

 

Just maybe, Jimin is scared of, "Everything."

 

"Me too," Minjeong answers with no judgment in her voice. "It's silly for me to say this, but this is scary, really. But then again, I'd regret it if I won't take the risk."

 

And of course, Minjeong is scared too - after all, this is an unfamiliar territory for the both of them.

 

Minjeong then continues, "So, if you'd like, let's do this together?"

 

Doubts.

 

"I, I don't know, Minjeong. It's too unfair for - "

 

"I don't care," Minjeong shakes her head, cutting Jimin off. "Give me an answer for yourself, because that's what you want, and not because of me. Think about yourself, and then give me an answer."

 

Jimin thought it was too selfish, "No, you're in it - "

 

"And all your doubts about me, I don't care. It's unfair? Then let it be, life's not easy and it won't get easier. I'll do whatever you want me to do, as long as it's based on your own well-being." Minjeong takes a deep breath, and Jimin could feel the stare of the younger girl, "Be selfish, even for once in your life."

 

Jimin's heart swelled, Minjeong's words were too simple again - direct to the point, "It won't be easy."

 

"I'm not here for the easy part," Minjeong answered with a smile, "I'm here for all the parts with whatever this world could throw at us."

 

"Okay," Jimin answered, finally all the doubts inside her head has been silenced - all thanks to Minjeong. "thank you."

 

"You don't have to give me an answer today, take all the time you want." Minjeong smiled, and stands up. "It's getting late, I'll walk you home."

 

Jimin tilts her head at the statement, "Where's Ning?"

 

"I volunteered, let the girl have some time with Aeri." Minjeong joked, "Come on, you must be tired."

 

Jimin smiles, shaking her head as she stood up and an arm was offered to her which she accepte. "No, never with you."

 

"That's good to know."

 

 

 

From that moment, everything was enough for Jimin and Minjeong - the doubts and fear in their mind all vanished after having that talk. Their friends have been supportive of them since day one, and it is a breath of fresh air for all of them. Spending time together, and with their friends have never been perfect until now - for all of them to see Jimin smiling and being carefree for the longest time.

 

Days were brighter for everyone, the teasing didn't stop - and at first, Jimin would hear Minjeong talk back to either Yunjin and Chaewon, those are always having a field day teasing Minjeong. Soon enough, the two of them got used to it - and though they didn't actually talk about being together, they just knew and everyone knew as well.

 

Jimin started looking forward for tomorrows, and yesterdays became precious memories for her the she will keep close to her heart. Her routines were similar and yet a distinct difference could be felt - the random things that Minjeong would do, random walks to certain shop. Then the sponataneous game nights they would have courtesy of Aeri whenever the coffee shop closes.

 

Minjeong has really became the light in Jimin's life - on what she thought just a small spark became much more, more blinding - and warm.

 

And so, maybe that's the reason why everything went by so fast - as if it were just mere days when in fact it were months. Because in a blink of an eye, Minjeong would soon be leaving for Korea - and it's like being splashed by a cold bucket of water, of reality. It's like time started to slow, just as how it felt too quick wherein days turned into weeks, and now with Minjeong only having two weeks left - everything became too slow.

 

And Jimin wasn't complaining about it - she wanted it to be slow, an illusion to have more time with Minjeong.

 

"We took so much pictures, don't you think?" Minjeong mused, checking all the photos that she took of Jimin ever since she got the camera.

 

The two of them are in Jimin's house - this was one of the few things that came with their change, probably the biggest one. It started when Minjeong volunteered to walk Jimin home instead of Ningning, soon enough it changed to Minjeong staying for a few minutes - then it progressed with two of them spending much more time together and even having dinner together at Jimin's house.

 

It was slow and yet natural - like a huge p

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter